2 Redfish Friday - Patuxent River

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Redfish Friday - Patuxent River

Fished with my brother today. He caught a 13" Red on a gulp paddle tail and I caught a smaller 9" on a mini crank bait. Both on 2 different creeks off the lower Patuxent River. One North of the bridge and one South. Have been reading about people catching them but didn't know they would be this far North. It seems to me that these small fish were born in the bay. 2 fish in two creeks on opposite sides of river lead me to believe they are becoming established. Insights? What is the furthest North you have caught a Redfish?
    WOOD DUCK 12

During 2012, redfish moved much farther north than usual. I caught several in the Severn and heard of reds caught farther north than that. In 2013, I found a few larger reds in Eastern Bay but none in the Severn. The following two winters were quite cold, and we saw very little redfish presence in the mid-Bay.

Your reports and those of others fishing in the Potomac River and other more southern waters are quite promising. Hopefully the reds will continue to move northward during August and September.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
      Your reports and those of others fishing in the Potomac River and other more southern waters are quite promising. Hopefully the reds will continue to move northward during August and September.
      I join you (and many others I'm certain) in hoping that this is the case. Maybe 2016 will be the year of my first tussle with a redfish.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
        During 2012, redfish moved much farther north than usual. I caught several in the Severn and heard of reds caught farther north than that. In 2013, I found a few larger reds in Eastern Bay but none in the Severn. The following two winters were quite cold, and we saw very little redfish presence in the mid-Bay.

Flounder are coming back as well, John...I caught several small flounder as by-catch over the past few trips...and a few speckled trout are showing up in their normal haunts...
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I think they do spawn locally, but they migrate in and out as well. Without extensive tagging, it is unlikely we will really know for sure. It was a relatively mild winter, but a hard winter will wipe out any sucesses.
          Red 2015 Hobie Outback
          Olive 2015 PA 14

Comment

I caught a nice fat 14 inch Red at Piney Point today. As Shady said "That's not a croaker with a black dot on its tail

I thought I had a lunker Croaker, ready to show Big Mike, who is the "King of the Croakers"

I am ready to head to the Eastern Shore in search of some larger ones

Yak67
            2015 Hobie PA-14
            2016 Hobie Outback LE#217

Comment

I turned that one loose Friday..love big red drum...not to eat;but for the sport of it-they have a powerful first run that makes you wonder if you have enough line on your spool...- smoking fifty or sixty yard run regardless of drag settings- too tight and it breaks off...it is going to take that fifty or sixty yard run no matter what-then it is a slug fest as you turn the fish before its second forty five or fifty yard run...after the first two long runs it is an endurance battle- love those big bull reds...powerful, strong fish. In my opinion the 40 pound class fish is the best- anything bigger doesn't seem to be as frisky as those 40-45 pound fish...we used to plan our vacations around the November 5th drum runs at Hatteras...those drum blitzes were epic as hundreds were landed and released on the Hatteras Island piers and surf...my favorite pier was Rodanthe although Avon shared in the blitzes as well- the ends of the pier had a Hatteras Heaver spaced every six inches apart and the regular pier jockeys could toss a half pound chunk of cut mullet on a 10/0 English hook and a 8 oz. pyramid sinker 100 yards off the end of the pier without crossing any of the sixty or so lines...anyway- it looks like we will have a rebound of redfish/speckled trout barring any severe cold winter fish kills...climate change will bring along with it changes in fish habitat and different species in places they never had been before...As rising water levels change the landscape and rising tempeture melts the polar ice caps, no one knows the consequences, but we are seeing changes-
              Last edited by ronaultmtd; 07-31-2016, 06:58 AM.
              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

A few years ago I caught tiny puppy drums in Mattawoman Creek in Indianhead. That was the year they were abundantly everywhere. I also saw a dude catch one that was 18" from the old 450 bridge( Jonas Greene) in the Severn.I believe this was the year after when they were bigger. I've seen way small specks caught & released in the Patuxent above Benedict.

Comment

With you on that Mark. Need to add a Red to my list.
                  John Rentch
                  Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
                  Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Originally posted by J. Rentch View Post
                    With you on that Mark. Need to add a Red to my list.
                    We'll get there John.

I've seen them tailing in Tampa. I've had bumps but no hookups in their vicinity. I've been on the water with John V. there when he has caught them. Raptor caught one all the way up in Mill Creek when they made their last big visit to our local waters.

I saw a tail break the water near a distant sod bank on VA's Eastern Shore a few years ago and threw my lure to it. I hooked up and was very proud of myself until I realized the brown tail I saw was a ray.

I've been teased enough by them. Maybe this year is my year for a red.
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
                    X