Blues Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blues Report

For the past 5 years I stuck with fishing local creeks, some eastern shore spots, and the Patapsco. I did not venture out into the bay or wide open areas because I had crappy yaks. I just bought a used Revo last month and have made several trips to get comfortable with it. Decided it was time to catch some blues so I headed to Breezy Point on Sunday. Launched late at 8am, and did 2 hrs of nothing trolling a Capt’n John spreader, and a Li’l bunker.

I was taking a break when I saw what looked like some birds working & took off after them. For the next 2 hrs I moved from pod to pod casting into blitzing blues. Once they blew up under me making me scramble to get my feet out of the water. Just your usual breaking fish fun. Ok, too much fun from a yak.

I was headed back in when round 2 happened. Same scenario, but this time it was schools of rock. The rocks were all around 15, same size as a majority of the blues. Biggest blue was 20 inches. That was another solid hour, plus an hour back to the ramp.

A few things left on my yak learning curve.

1. Learning when to stop chasing breaking fish…When you hear that splashing near-by it is like a trigger. Very tiring even with a money mirage.
    2. Packing more towels etc. I was soaked, my towel was done, no dry material left on the yak after a few hours.
    3. Mixing in more paddling to give the legs a break. Now that I’ve converted it just feels so foreign to paddle. Damn all I did for the last few yrs was paddle ….. boy was that a quick transition.
    4. Everything frozen. My frozen drinks were great, my warm water was not.
    5. To fast? I’m also wondering if I need to chill out a little when I begin the chase. I consistently beat the 1-2 boats in the area to most schools, but should I limit the pressure on the drive? Typical melee that didn’t last much beyond a minute.
    6. Cleaning & drying glasses. Not a problem on the boat. I’m finding it a challenge on the yak.
    7. This is back to #1. Stick to the plan & don’t do 6 hour trips in this weather.

Here is the link to a quick video I did of the action to go with a pic. Thanks, Dave

13903282_10210196933540215_912661918228649589_n.jpg

https://youtu.be/D6gOqndE9BE

Great report and great action!!!

Lessons Learned is needed for all of us It's hard to pull back when the action is jumping like that

Yak67
    2015 Hobie PA-14
    2016 Hobie Outback LE#217

Comment

Working...
    X