Ocean City Maryland - Yak Storage ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ocean City Maryland - Yak Storage ?

Hey Guys - looking for a few leads here.

We have a family place down in OC.

I'd like to take my yak (tarpon 100) down the next time I go (for a week) so that I can flounder fish in the bay behind Assateague.

Unfortunately, the place we stay is on the 4th floor and the stairs are not accommodating for a yak otherwise, I'd bring it inside. It stays in my basement at home.

I don't want to leave it out on the roof of our van / inside the van because I don't want it baking in the sun for hours at a time on an asphalt parking lot.

Does anyone know of any places that might give me a week long lease for a secure / indoor place to stash a 10' boat ?

I'm thinking if I could find a garage or something, I could hit there in the AM, load up fish and drop it back off in the PM then repeat a few times for a week.

Originally posted by Excalibur View Post
    Hey Guys - looking for a few leads here.

We have a family place down in OC.

I'd like to take my yak (tarpon 100) down the next time I go (for a week) so that I can flounder fish in the bay behind Assateague.

Unfortunately, the place we stay is on the 4th floor and the stairs are not accommodating for a yak otherwise, I'd bring it inside. It stays in my basement at home.

I don't want to leave it out on the roof of our van / inside the van because I don't want it baking in the sun for hours at a time on an asphalt parking lot.

Does anyone know of any places that might give me a week long lease for a secure / indoor place to stash a 10' boat ?

I'm thinking if I could find a garage or something, I could hit there in the AM, load up fish and drop it back off in the PM then repeat a few times for a week.
    Maybe you could work out a deal with a marina for short term storage. Get a pad lock and some chain. Run it thru the scuppers and around some planks of a pier and lock it. That is if you are granted access to do so.

Maybe get 100 ft of rope and some pulleys and hoist it up on the balcony if you have one. That should give the people staying below you something to talk about.

Comment

If no other option is available, perhaps storing it in a yak bag on top of the vehicle would ease your mind. It would be just as hot, but would be protected from the sun.

At least if you spend the money for a bag vs. storage fees, you would have a permanent solution.

Comment

A few days on top of the vehicle won't kill the kayak. You can use a cable and lock. I use two in through the scupper holes and around my racks, when I cartop.

In any event there are short term storage places in OC. If you look around you can find them. That is where some folks keep their boats, when on trips.

Comment

I left mine on my roof in Baltimore over the weekend while attending a wedding and I have done it for other trips too. I use a cable and lock and I make sure that is obvious by putting it right where my straps untie. So far so good!

I have been wanting to bring it with me to NYC so that I can fish Jamaica Bay, Long Island Sound, City Island... or where ever but I have been too worried about leaving it on the roof there. I think even if it didn't get stolen someone would either spray paint it, stab it, try to live in it, break off pieces, use it as a dumpster, or some other ridiculous thing. I know a country boy can survive and all, but can his kayak?? I don't want to risk it.
          Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
          Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
          https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

[QUOTE=DOGFISH;14928]A few days on top of the vehicle won't kill the kayak. You can use a cable and lock. I use two in through the scupper holes and around my racks, when I cartop.

^ i leave mine on all the time the hobie has a little thinner plastic hull than the tarpon and it has deformed a little no big deal, my tarpon 12 was sturder. i take it to the beach in del. all the time, a good cable/ lock or 2 and you will be good to go.

Comment

[QUOTE=surfdog;14945]
              Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
              A few days on top of the vehicle won't kill the kayak. You can use a cable and lock. I use two in through the scupper holes and around my racks, when I cartop.

^ i leave mine on all the time the hobie has a little thinner plastic hull than the tarpon and it has deformed a little no big deal, my tarpon 12 was sturder. i take it to the beach in del. all the time, a good cable/ lock or 2 and you will be good to go.

my hobie deformed a bit too on the bottom from tightning to much to the roof. i left it upside down in the sun for a day and most of it popped back.
              Hobie Revolution 13
              Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

ive left it on the roof rack, loosened the straps and cracked a hatch open...cable and lock through the drive hole(hobie) and had no problems.

sorry for the crappy night pic, but it stayed up there during the day too.

basically why i got a roof rack for the truck...during overnight stays, i lock it on the roof, rather than hanging off he bed.
                Attached Files
                sigpic

Comment

I've left mine up on my truck rack for two weeks while I was attending a class in DC. I have the Yakima mako saddles with the anti-scuff pads and hulley rollers, and didn't have any problems. I did put a coat of 303 uv protectant on the boat before leaving.
                  Liquid Logic Manta Ray 12
                  Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160

Comment

Originally posted by Grilled Sardine View Post
                    my hobie deformed a bit too on the bottom from tightning to much to the roof. i left it upside down in the sun for a day and most of it popped back.
                    GS brings up a good point here. Hull deformation is probably a bigger issue for a lot of people than sun exposure or theft.

I noticed my wife's yak got a dimple where it contacts the truck wheel well. After storing it upside down for a day or so, the deformation went away.

Comment

Working...
                    X