Janes Island Meet and Greet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
    Caught two dinks in six hours of fishing- SW winds 15 gusting to 25- lots of loose grass and fish with lock jaw- beautiful place but right now it is a fishing desert- lunch and meeting with new folks was very good...
    Uh Oh...I got a similar lockjaw report from another angler who visited there last week. I hope things quickly improve! I'll be there Thursday through Sunday.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Sorry to hear that. The grass is from the crab dredgers. It can be a real pain in the butt. With decreased water temps the fishing should improve here soon.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
      Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
      2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

The SW strong wind made it impossible for us to launch from the harbor side- just too rough...sometime Mother Nature dictates your options- so we launched from Jane's Island and went to the northern sheltered side- bay was shallow although a mile or so out there is a nice 10-11 foot drop off- Moc caught some small Spot there and a croaker on a double bottom rig...I caught two small school stripers up in a small cut on 1/8 oz. jighead and white 3 inch gulp mullet...nothing on Sea Assassins, nothing on Sassy Shads, nothing on gulp copper penny shrimp on popping cork, nothing on perch spinners, nothing on gulp bloodworms...nor any crank baits and/or top water poppers...
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Fishing at Jane's Island was rough to say the least, but I want to thank the group for making me feel so welcome and as just another one of the guys. This was my first M&G and I would strongly recommend these events to others who are lurkers on the list, just haven't made the time, or maybe think such an experience might be awkward or uncomfortable in some way. I had a great time chatting with everyone at lunch Friday and Saturday and only regret not staying at the park Friday night to take full advantage of the camping camaraderie. Someday I'll figure out how to catch fish in salt water too! Thanks for doing your best to make that happen guys!
          Bill

2018 Hobie Compass - Seagrass Green
          2015 Wilderness Ride 135 - Green Camo

Comment

Yea, it was a fun time on the water minus the fish. Beautiful scenery everywhere & Teddy's dog trying to outfish him! I caught more crabs than fish & I was getting bit off by blues all the time in the middle but out & way up north & out. Thanks to the winds that kept things a tiny bit cooler( still felt like an oven) & kept most of the biting bugs away. The local restaurant food was excellent. I enjoyed the seatrout fillets & soft crab sandwich. It was great seeing everyone incl LivingtheDream. C u all again soon!

Comment

I will call this a successful Meet and Greet. We had 13 members make it in spite of the high temps
              I made some new friends and was able to see some old friends again .
              The fishing was poor at best but still fun. my total fish count for 2 days of fishing was 12 little stripers and 1 10" spec (spotted trout ) and a few crabs
              This park is beautiful with many trails to paddle and pedal thru the marsh island. I had a great time camping and fishing and exploring with friends this weekend even in the heat and humidity.
              Last edited by plastic boat; 08-14-2016, 07:27 PM.

Comment

P8130131.jpgP8130123.jpgP8130122.jpgP8130119.jpgP8130110.jpgP8130109.jpgP8130107.jpgP8130106.jpgP8130105.jpg
                Last edited by plastic boat; 08-14-2016, 07:28 PM.

Comment

P8130111.jpgP8120092.jpgP8120089.jpg

Comment

Great photos. Boy that bay looked choppy.
                    Mike
                    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

the fish in the pic doesnot look like a speck to me.....
                      14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                      2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
                        Great photos. Boy that bay looked choppy.
                        That's not the bay. That's the canal between Crisfield and Jane's Island the wind was out of the south.
                        That's is the south end of the Blue trail where it meets the canal
                        I never saw the bay or tangier sounds open waters it was just to rough.
                        That was as far south as I was willing to go

Comment

What a difference a day makes. Still here the winds subsided yesterday and today. Yesterday I went out to the marker buoy where the 11-16 ft channel is that I check out in the wind while fishing with Pooty Tang, Wrong Way & Mighty Mouse Mike at sunset. Did pretty well caught two rock fish 17 and 18" down about 10' trolling paddletails and three small blue fish on Gotchas. Wind is calm gain today so I will be heading out again in a few minutes.

Had a blast with all of the guys I met at the meet n greet.

Comment

The Meet and Greet for August was quite enjoyable. I was surprised on how many anglers stayed at the campsite and nearby hotels. I have driven out there to fish and come back in the same afternoon in the past (a long day); however, this time I was given multiple offers to stay the night at different campsites. I ended up staying at a campsite with Plastic Boat and MikeMike. I came down early Friday Morning and pre-fished in the morning. I launched from the camp’s ramp just after 7:30am. The other reports were correct, fishing was slow and the wind was blowing 13 to 20 mph. I managed to catch a 10 inch perch and a couple of short baby stripers in the 10 to 13 inch size along the grassy edges and guts of the island using a Grady Rig (Beetlespin). Four of us travelled the Blue Trail south where it end at a cove by the Hospital. The water was muddy and choppy with white caps. You can see how rough the water was when you got away from the protection of the island. At this point we headed north up the canal to the camp and get some lunch. More Snaggedliners arrived and we all went to lunch at the local crab shack where the Saturday M&G lunch was schedule. Many of us tried the $19.99 all you can eat crabs and corn. It was well worth it for the price. In the evening as other Snaggedliners arrived, we had a communal pot luck dinner at Plastic Boat’s campsite. We had sausages, grilled chicken, tater tots, burgers, and chips, etc.

The winds seemed a little better on Saturday. The water temperature was 85 degrees in the shallows, so I decided to go look for deeper cooler water on the north side of the island, which should be more protected from the south wind. Once I got there on Saturday, I landed perch, spots, croakers, crabs and rockfish. The majority of the fish were caught on ledges on the 8 to 14 feet of water on a bottom fishing rig baited with bloodworm fish bites. I ended up the Saturday morning with over 50 spots, two croakers, two blue crabs, four small white perch, and a 13 inch rockfish. The water was still choppy and I decided to make the trek back to the ramp so I could join everyone for lunch. All 13 kayak anglers went to lunch. I was a good time with good food. It was nice meeting new and old kayak anglers. That was it for my fishing. A few kayakers went out in the evening after lunch, but the fishing was still slow. I left Sunday at 11am, but not before a few of us visited the crab shack one more time for lunch. A goodtime was had by all.

For anyone who likes these meet and greets, they should sign up for the CBKA Tournament in September. It is like a big Meet and Greet of 100 kayakers on Kent Island at Camp Wight.
                            Attached Files

Comment

That one croaker pic gets my vote for smallest fish posted this year.
                              Mike
                              Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Working...
                              X