attaching a crate for storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• attaching a crate for storage

does anyone have any ideas on how to attach a crate to the back of a hobie pa. . i was thinking about putting a steel rod with screws. attaching on each side then put the screws in to hold it together. then take the time to put bungees on all my gear.
    Last edited by fjarhead; 07-25-2011, 12:52 PM.

why not just bungee it with the existing back bungees

Comment

you can use pad eyes to attatch the crate to the yak and then attatch the rod holders to the crate

http://www.austinkayak.com/products/...n-Pad-Eye.html
      Hobie Revolution 13
      Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
        why not just bungee it with the existing back bungees

i am trying to get it off the bottom and stay out of the water. I have a cpl of pad eyes that i can put the rod through.

Comment

Bungee cord is an option. However, I use turnbuckles. It makes for a solid connection. Put the hook of the turnbuckle into a padeye and use a S-hook to put on the other end and over the edge of the crate. Tighten down the turnbuckles and you have a clean and solid connection. You can get inexpensive stainless steel turnbuckles at Home Depot. You can use the sailboat type, but you will pay much more for them. When you want to remove the crate, your kayak will be in the same condition as before the crate.

Your scuppers should keep the water out. If not you can put a couple pieces of PVC pipe under the crate, attached with electrical ties. Depending on the size you choose, is how much lift you will get. Again, another easy install.

Kayak Kevin uses allthread or some type of rod to lift his crate up on top, using padeyes. He also cuts down the front of the crate, as it is much higher sitting on top. On the top edge is too high for me. You can see his rig on YouTube.
          Last edited by DOGFISH; 07-25-2011, 02:43 PM.

Comment

pvc pipe works well depending how hi you want to lift your crate. i keep mine in all the time, using 1" footmans loop (from west marine) on each side and 1" webbing and a side snap web buckle one for each side for removal when i want to. using this i positioned the crate as far back as possible with the slope from the rear hatch that way i have room behind the seat for storing junk. been in since spring 65 70 mph no problem

Comment

Working...
            X