New guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy

I am new to fishing from a kayak. I don't have a fancy kayak. I have an ocean sit on top kayak that some one gave me. It has nothing on it (rod holders, fish finder). What is the minimum I need in terms of equipment to fish from my kayak with an expectation of success? I live on the Chester river. Is there a place on the Chester that would be good to fish?

easiest thing would be a milk crate that you can get at staples or a 7-11(shhh). then goto somewhere like bass pro and get the 3vertical rad holders they sell in the boat section and zip tie them to the crate. You now have a way to store tackle and rod for around $20. The next step is to get out and fish, dont rush into rigging until you findout what would be the most convienent for you.
    Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

You can also use pvc pipe to make rod holders to attach to your crate for an even cheaper setup. After you setup a crate. You will probably want an anchor and trolly system. I would hold off on the Fishfinder until you really know what you want. I fished my first season without a fish finder and caught lots of fish.

O and dont forget a PFD...
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

welcome..thanks for joining!

like pinch said, the milk crate with rod holders should be a good start. once you get out on the water, you'll have a better feel for what you need and where you want it located on the kayak.

then the fun starts and you can get crazy on the rigging!
        Hobie Revolution 13
        Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

A fishin rod and some bait/lures (1/2 - 1 1/2 shad heads w/6" Chartuse or white Bass Assassin jerk shad for stripers, small spinners and spoons for perch) and a place you know has fish and a decent paddle.

The crates and stuff are good ......... but the above is essential

Comment

Oh ...... and welcome aboard

Comment

welcome and best of luck with riggin your craft...... excellent advice can be offered to you here... take your time you will find out what works best for you and your style of fishing

Comment

Thanks for the help. I'm going to give it a try this week and report back. I don't think I'll go to the CBB but I'll hang out in the Chester and see what happens.

Comment

Check out the NOAA online chart viewing site and look at the charts for your area of the Chester. Look for hard bottom, channel edges, structure, etc. and hit it hard!

Welcome to the site and the sport! Really all you need is one rod, some top and bottom rigs, and a few lures. Should be able to find some perch and hardhead out in the the river now in addition to rock.
                  Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                  Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                  https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

welcome, quite a few QAC ramps on the chester r. and good fishing too. PFD is a must!!! dont go on the water with out it. a lot of people have drowned this year just jumping in the water from boats and docks.

Comment

If you have access to an outdoorworld/bass pro shop you can also pick up some Scotty rod holders, if you want to mount some up in front of you instead of just the crate/rear side.
                      2010 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Welcome aboard. Try to come out to the meet & greet for some ideas from other folks!
                        <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Welcome! Great bunch here.

+1 on coming out for the meet and greets. Always a good time plus you get to learn a lot from others experiences.

Comment

I got out this morning for a trial run. There were pretty heavy winds and the Chester was white capping. I thought about turning around but my only goal was to get the feel of fishing from a kayak and I figured that if I could handle these conditions I would be fine.

I had originally planned to paddle to Love Point but the with the wind I decided to paddle in to the wind about 300 yards toward the bay and let the wind push me back to my beach. The waves weren't really a problem at all like I expected but the wind blew me back to my starting point and 300-400 yards past that in no time. No fish but I was only out there a little more than an hour and not in a place normally good for rock.

The milk crate & PVC rod holders worked great. The one thing I did learn is that the wind always wins! I'm looking forward to heading out on a clamer day.

Comment

Starting out fishing in a kayak has a learning curve for sure. You have to coordinate which hand you will paddle with and which hand will hold the rod...the position of the kayak in the current/wind.

Don't feel like you have to have all the toys and gadgets to enjoy yourself. Most of the guys on here have been doing this awhile and have built up their kayaks over time. I personally have as much gear as you have on your kayak and I've had the best year fishing yet of my life.

If you can't tell this community is very very accepting and helpful for anyone who asks. I literally showed up to my first meet and great with my kayak, milk crate and one fishing rod. Try and tag along on any trip you can with guys from here.

You will have a blast and meet some fellow fishing addicts!

J

Comment

Working...
                              X