Slicks of dead fish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slicks of dead fish?

Hit the BB today. I wanted to fish the Kent Is side so I made my way across.
    After passing the main channel and 2nd rock pile I came across this light brown foamy slick. Scattered about, up and down the slick were dead rockfish. Most looked under 20 and the few legal size ones had the meat cut off them.
    There was a second slick near the secondary channel. Same thing... dead fish.
    Is this normal? Or did I witness the scene of a crime?

Sent from my PalmPilot using Tapatalk
    2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
    Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

I paddle out of Jonas green and when I started to paddle toward the BB I saw the same thing, discolored brown slick with bubbles and floating rockfish, only a couple down that far but one looked close to 30". After I saw that I just went back to the river.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Desert Camo- Moken 14
    Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

Fished the BB Sunday. Saw a few dead stripers. One around 30". Saw about 20 dead bunker.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

ive seen the dead fish too. some think it's dead zones in the water column, others think it's the charter fleet, and there is even thought that the fish cant recover from catch and release because of water temperature. basically, no one knows for sure and i havent seen a comment from DNR yet
        sigpic

Comment

The oxygen levels are extremely low. I suppose that could be part of the problem.
          http://giphy.com/gifs/3o7TKnsKeT64Gtp00U

Comment

Been seeing a ton of these dead fish in the Patapsco outside of Ft. Smallwood and near 7ft Knoll.. Its a shame.
            Zach Bennett
            Linthicum MD
            2014 Hobie Outback
            Instagram: YakinZak
            Youtube: YakinZak
            Email: Yakinzak@gmail.com

Comment

water temperature/ low oxygen certainly makes the rockfish a lot less hardy than in colder spring/fall water. I've seen many a lip hooked fish want to go belly up in august.
              Best to get your limit and quit. I've been on boats that will hold out one or two short of a limit, trying to get that 32"er and throw back 25 21"ers trying. Its a bad practice.
              Hit it and quit.

Comment

Originally posted by gillplate View Post
                Hit it and quit.
                Couldn't have said it better.

Comment

Working...
                X