Fishing tmrw Thurs 9/8 at Jonas Green

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing tmrw Thurs 9/8 at Jonas Green

Going out tomorrow morning around 630 or 7am, fishing for about 4 hours out of Jonas Green, if anyone would like to join me. I've got the day off work, and didn't fish at all over labor day weekend, so it's time.

Looking forward to hearing how you do there. I have been waiting for the Severn to turn on!
    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

How did it go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It was a pleasure meeting and talking to you today in Weems Creek.
        I hope you continued catching fish after I left. By noon I just started getting too hot!.
        I ended up with about a dozen perch, kinda slow by Weems standards.
        You sure covered a lot of water today!

Comment

Thank you again for the lures bignose. I kept catching more 12-17" rockfish but keepers eluded me. I spoke to SUPfisher and he actually got 2 keepers but he launches in a different area of the Severn. I will have to meet up with him next time, but he typically launches very early, and with my hour drive down there, I would have to leave my house by 445 maybe 5 at the latest. Overall I caught 20-25 throwback rockfish 12-18", with one beautiful 17" fish that I swear weighed as much as the 21" keepers I caught weeks before. That fish is going to be a bruiser once it makes it above 20". Anyway the real excitement came right as I was on my paddle back, decided to fish around that channel marker that we (bignose and I) had discussed, since it always holds fish. Caught some more small rockfish and then wham! Something hit my zman and the line was screaming, I was hoping for a redfish, but quickly discovered it was a cownose ray about 5 minutes in, and it dragged me around for maybe 15 minutes, all around that channel marker. What a rush. Wouldn't want that to happen too often, but it was a very cool experience. Each time I got it close to the boat it would just drench me and dive back down, so I was forced to cut the line fairly close to it. At least I know my knots hold true. Had a lot of respect for sharks and rays before, but even more now, that thing just had so much power, never gave up or tired. Also as I was leaving I talked to a kid who I had seen there before, again fishing from shore with baited bottom rigs I believe, and I saw him pull in about a 10-12" speckled trout.

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
            Thank you again for the lures bignose. I kept catching more 12-17" rockfish but keepers eluded me. I spoke to SUPfisher and he actually got 2 keepers but he launches in a different area of the Severn. I will have to meet up with him next time, but he typically launches very early, and with my hour drive down there, I would have to leave my house by 445 maybe 5 at the latest. Overall I caught 20-25 throwback rockfish 12-18", with one beautiful 17" fish that I swear weighed as much as the 21" keepers I caught weeks before. That fish is going to be a bruiser once it makes it above 20". Anyway the real excitement came right as I was on my paddle back, decided to fish around that channel marker that we (bignose and I) had discussed, since it always holds fish. Caught some more small rockfish and then wham! Something hit my zman and the line was screaming, I was hoping for a redfish, but quickly discovered it was a cownose ray about 5 minutes in, and it dragged me around for maybe 15 minutes, all around that channel marker. What a rush. Wouldn't want that to happen too often, but it was a very cool experience. Each time I got it close to the boat it would just drench me and dive back down, so I was forced to cut the line fairly close to it. At least I know my knots hold true. Had a lot of respect for sharks and rays before, but even more now, that thing just had so much power, never gave up or tired. Also as I was leaving I talked to a kid who I had seen there before, again fishing from shore with baited bottom rigs I believe, and I saw him pull in about a 10-12" speckled trout.
            Also it was on my brand new (to me) ugly stik to replace my older one, and on my aging shimano sahara reel, both performed great. Have caught so many large fish on that combo, from huge dogfish, to skates, to king salmon, and now a cownose ray.

Comment

That's an encouraging report in my favorite location -- for the stripers getting a little larger, not the CNR!

That striper trend should continue into the fall.

My guess is that your ray fights in the future will decrease from 15 minutes. Before you know it you'll be breaking them off via the point and pull method within a minute of hookup. That's my opinion anyway. I think there are too many fish waiting to be caught to spend significant time dancing with a ray. But I know some folks here love the fight.

Congrats on a good trip and good report.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

i always bring them in to get a visual juuuust to make sure its a ray before i break off, never know!
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X