Weak Points on Used Revos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weak Points on Used Revos?

Hi all. New to the forum. Wow - this place is more addictive than YouTube. Been a minimalist for several years with an old rental sit-in and two rods. Took a test drive in my buddy’s Revo – uh oh - so now I’m looking around for one of my own. All boats have weak spots that wear/split/leak as they age that generally become common knowledge. Are there any of these points of weakness that should always be checked out when shopping for used Revos? TIA.

Weak points could be:

- drive well and drive clips
    - rudder attachment / rudder
    - rudder lines (easily replaceable though)
    - the mirage drive itself has a lot of moving parts
    - the bottom front of the kayak can wear down due to dragging on rough surfaces.

You can bid for my used revo here if you want. It doesn't have any of these problems. The front is a bit worn, but not too much.: http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...tion-price-500
    Mike S.
    Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
    3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Oh, the scupper holes on pre-2012 models had wear issues when using carts, but they have improved them since.
      Mike S.
      Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
      3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

I don't know how all sellers will be....but you can take a flashlight to the hull and see the weak points, my tarpon has week points from the bow and stern from dragging on concrete ramps. As far as hobies go I hear the older mirage drive wells and scupper holes can show wear as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Desert Camo- Moken 14
        Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

rock'n'roll,

My Revo is a 2012 that I purchased new in 2013.

I've babied it from the beginning being especially careful with the bow and stern.

I don't ram it into beaches or ramps upon return and when I pivot on the stern while rooftop loading and unloading on my van I do so on grass or I lay a carpet down on pavement.

The hull integrity has been excellent so far, cross my fingers, and the scupper holes that accept the cart have sleeves of plastic in them for reinforcement. I had heard about the scupper/cart problem Chex mentioned on pre-2012 models. I believe the sleeves have solved that problem.

I clean the Mirage Drive with fresh water after every use, dry it with compressed air and I keep it lubed with a silicon spray. I have had to replace the spline (my fault for overtightening a set screw), the pulley wheel and a cable on the drive. But after pedaling it roughly 300 miles each year, I have no complaints.

Frankly, if my Revo failed on me now, it would owe me no money given the enjoyment it has brought to me. They're pretty tough, though. I think if you can find one moderately maintained, it will serve you well.

Welcome to the forum and good luck in your search.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Wow! thanks much for the info. It's just what I was looking for. I have my sights set on a Revo 13. Good luck on your auction.

Comment

Flashlight! What a great idea. Thanks much.

Comment

Thank you Mark. I figure the drive will take some extra care. I've had the luxury(?) of a beat up $100 ABS kayak that I hose out every few trips to get the sand and (hopefully) the fish slime out. Rods, reels and tackle get a thorough washing but the boat not so much. The Revo with all the moving parts will be serious business.

I don't know whether to start a new thread but what you said about beaching on sand has me wondering. I launch most often off a shallow sandy beach. I put the yak about halfway in the water, climb in and with the help of the paddle, kind of scunch my way off the beach. On return, I hit ramming speed and try to get her up on the beach as far as possible. Hope that doesn't make you all cringe. Like I said, she's a beater. Obviously, the Revo will take more care and planning. How do you handle launch and recovery on sand?

Comment

Originally posted by rock'n'roll View Post
                  Thank you Mark. I figure the drive will take some extra care. I've had the luxury(?) of a beat up $100 ABS kayak that I hose out every few trips to get the sand and (hopefully) the fish slime out. Rods, reels and tackle get a thorough washing but the boat not so much. The Revo with all the moving parts will be serious business.

I don't know whether to start a new thread but what you said about beaching on sand has me wondering. I launch most often off a shallow sandy beach. I put the yak about halfway in the water, climb in and with the help of the paddle, kind of scunch my way off the beach. On return, I hit ramming speed and try to get her up on the beach as far as possible. Hope that doesn't make you all cringe. Like I said, she's a beater. Obviously, the Revo will take more care and planning. How do you handle launch and recovery on sand?
                  Yes, I'm cringing! Even in cold water when I launch I walk my Revo and Ultimate out into enough water that will float the boat with me in it (a foot or more) before I plop my butt into the seat. I get out of my kayak in the same manner -- in shallow water. I avoid beaching. But I suspect I am the extreme in caution in this matter.
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                  Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                  Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Kayaks are structurally sound when the full hull is supported by the ground or by the water. If you have the bow on the land and the stern in the water (or vice versa), you may create a situation where the middle is not supported by either ground or water. That puts a lot of stress on the middle section of the boat, particularly if you are a heavy person.

I do not baby my kayak the way Mark does (I can vouch for his high degree of care since we often launch and return together). But I do make sure to avoid situations in which I am in the kayak and the middle section is not supported.
                    John Veil
                    Annapolis
                    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by rock'n'roll View Post
                      Hi all. New to the forum. Wow - this place is more addictive than YouTube. Been a minimalist for several years with an old rental sit-in and two rods. Took a test drive in my buddy’s Revo – uh oh - so now I’m looking around for one of my own. All boats have weak spots that wear/split/leak as they age that generally become common knowledge. Are there any of these points of weakness that should always be checked out when shopping for used Revos? TIA.
                      Did you end up buying the used revo on Craigslist? I saw a guy in Boyd's (Germantown) had a 2007 posted for a 1000. Tried to get a hold of him but no response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Desert Camo- Moken 14
                      Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

Working...
                      X