Novel to me kayaking hazard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Novel to me kayaking hazard

Yak 67 and myself fished two spots this morning. We started at Clark's but decided the conditions were too ideal and the fish too small so we decamped over to Breton Bay. The winds there were much brisker and the fetch it had to work much longer so there was a fair chop on the water at Breton, good move on our part. I was working a large bar in the middle of the bay and Gary had migrated to shelter in a cove and was working the perch hard. I had just finished a pass when I heard what sounded like a fast moving large boat approaching from my right rear side. As I turned the yak to get a peek I was shocked to see a VERY LARGE sea plane landing on the water and moving in my general direction. It stopped maybe a little bit over 100 yards to my side and in golfing parlance it was close to pin high. If it had been two minutes earlier I would have been in serious pucker mode. The plane then idled a bit, did a turn, then faced back into the wind and took off again. Unfortunately I left my phone in the car so I don't have a picture but it was the kind of sea plane that lands on it's body and not pontoons and was dual engine. Could probably hold 20 people or more. I have no idea if they ever saw me. I was magnanimous and didn't offer a one finger salute

We watched the plane circling the area and it was clear that it was doing practice landings and takeoffs (a student?) but fortunately it didn't bother our section of the bay again. We kept calling out when we saw it and I saw Gary move as fast as I've ever seen when he was crossing back over to the ramp when we saw the plane again. Didn't know he could move that fast.

As far as the fishing, should have stayed at Clark's.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Don't we have enough things to look out for, now I've got one more!
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

That was the Grumman style sea plane that lands on the body! Mike called just as I heard the noise and was shocked to see that plane land right in front of him. The take-off was spectacular, because he took off into the wind, he put the hammer down and did some chops to get up.
      Crazy day chasing perch and stripers... but now airplanes???

Yak67
      2016 Hobie Outback LE#217

Comment

Wow! I bet that was a sight!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Comment

Mike - I finally got out Sunday (a week ago) and fished Clarks Landing. I was coming back to the launch and turned around to see the same plane come barreling out from deeper in the creek! He had just taken off and was literally 20 -25 feet off the water all the way to the mouth of creek. I'm glad there were no sailboats around! He stayed low 100'? all the way up the Patuxent. It was a sight to behold but seems a little reckless with so much jet ski, kayak, boat, traffic. It can get pretty crammed out there with out adding a plane to the mix.
          WOOD DUCK 12

Comment

With the ospreys mostly gone, there usually is little reason to look up from our kayaks...until now.

That was a close call.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Yikes!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
              -Mustafa
              ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
              2016 Hobie Outback
              2012 Hobie Revolution 13
              "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Working...
              X