Baitcasters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baitcasters

seems like a lot of you are using baitcasters. i use conventional for trolling and surf casting bait(havent in a while though), but never a baitcaster. you really like them that much over spinners for casting? any real advantage over just preferance?
    sigpic

Originally posted by stupidjet View Post
    seems like a lot of you are using baitcasters. i use conventional for trolling and surf casting bait(havent in a while though), but never a baitcaster. you really like them that much over spinners for casting? any real advantage over just preferance?
    Never used one myself, tried a friends once and just birds nested it first cast, i'll stick to my spinning equipment

Comment

I've been using spinners for over 40 years. Never thought I would want to go with baitcasters. Well, last year I started using baitcasters for surf fishing. Got a lot birdnests, but with a lot of practice, I do pretty well now. I can cast pretty far with few or no birdnests. I now like baitcasters/conventionals.

For the kayak, I much prefer baitcasters for bottom fishing, jigging and trolling. I like the line above the rod rather than below the rod so the line doesn't get snagged on my yak rigging. I do use my baitcaster for casting jigheads and crankbaits, but I prefer my spinner most of the time. That's why I take at least one spinner on yak trips.

For plugging from shore, I use both but mostly spinners.
      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Use Baitcasters all the time ......... especially with a pitchin bar ....... when jigging dropofffs or to drop back down to the bottom ........ you touch the bar ..........

Comment

I fish probably 60/40 with a bait caster. I was always afraid of the backlashes after hearing my father cursing every other cast, but the better quality reels of today have so many settings it's easier to cast with them. You can throw it further and more accurate. It generally handles more weight/larger lures, and there's no line twist when a good fish takes drag. Speaking of drag, it's usually a star which is easy to losen for live lining.

Comment

i use baitcast reels about 90% of the time i fish. the newer reels have so much better technolgy to minimize the backlash. it just takes i little bit of practice to get it dialed in. if you make a dramatic change in lure weight you may need to readjust the reel.... for that set up. they do not cast really light lures as well as a spinning real. and you have to be a bit careful depending on the weight and the type of lure when casting into the wind. if you have your baitcast reel adjusted correctly your backlashes wont be as bad.... and belive me after a while you will be an ""expert"" at untangleing them. the biggest benifit for me i can cast more accurately with a baitcast reel. the other benifit is weight.... fish 25lb to 30lb test from a reel that only weights 8 to 12oz... less weight='s more casts..... with a bit of patience and practice with a properly adjusted reel in a half of day you will bo doing just fine. it also helps if your rod and reel combination is balanced set that will also make more of a difference in your success...... tight lines always!!!

Comment

The biggest trick to using a baitcaster is to use your thumb as a spool brake just as the line hits the water. Of course the drag settings have to be set correctly as well.

Spinning gear has come a long way but baitcasters used to be smoother so I use them for constant casting and retrieving and spinning gear for bottom fishing.

I read an article on Bass Pro Shops that said that for light line spinning gear works better as the light stuff gets tangled up very easily in the baitcasters.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...0001&langId=-1

Comment

90% spinners, tried conv. reels over the years but they feel awkward to me. fished a surf tourney with a friend how is a big conv, fan he lost concentration 1 time and nested a whole spool of suffix platinum whatever at @ 40.00 luckily he had another spool and we re-spooled the reel right away.

Comment

I find baitcasters more accurate to cast.
                  Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

90/10 baitcasters over spinners- I use spinners only for light and ultra light fishing- with high-end, top of the line baitcasters (expensive) you rarely ever get a birdnest- usually when the wind is gusting or you hit something with the rod as you cast- I hit the water a couple of weeks ago just as I was tossing a bait and had a backlash- first of this season for me-
                    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I do both... I haven't really seen a real advantage of one versus the other... well except that I can actually fish a baitcaster quicker because I'm not reeling in that excess line. But I like them both. I mainly use my baitcaster because it makes me look cool...LMAO!

Comment

Ron, what is an "high-end expensive" bc? I have a Quantum Catalyst, Curado and Luna, all casts very well. Middle of the price range?

I agree with you. Get a good bc and you minimize birdnests.
                        2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                        2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                        2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Calcutta 200B and TE DC reels

Tuf- you have good stuff- I think the Shimano Calcutta 200B and TE DC reels are tops- I have several Calcuttas and have had them for years- they are like Heirlooms to me- I keep them cleaned and use them a time or two when I go to the outer banks or Tampa St. Pete each year- I have a Saltist Black Gold 20 pound outfit I use for surf fishing on a 10 foot heavy casting rod-

I mostly use two Abu Ambassaduer 6500C3 reels on 6'6" MH IM6 Graphite rods for everyday trolling, bottom fishing and live bait fishing- and my 4600C3 on a 7'9' Wright & MCGill Blair Wiggins Flats Blue rod for casting lures.

For light spinning gear- I have a 30 year old Quantum 8 Ball Bearing ultra light spinning reel with 4 pound test Spiderwire mono on a 5'6" ultra light Shakespeare rod-

two Penn 430SSG reels with 12 pound test P-Line on 7 foot Penn Inshore graphite rods-
                          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I have used both. However, in the kayak sometimes I tend to cast a little low and make a mess with the baitcaster. I didn't have that problem when fishing in a boat. I do like the way you can lay a cast out to softly land the bait with a baitcaster. I really like the Shimano Curado 301E for casting work. I use a pair of Calcutta TEs, a 401 and a 400. I like to use a left hand and a right hand reel for light trolling, with two rods, from the kayak.

I have a pair of International 975LD for heavier spring time trolling. However, the Calcuttas are my favorite. They also have a very smooth drag.

Comment

I use both. I prefer a baitcaster for vertical jigging, especially for flounder. My flounder combo has a baitcaster with a flipping switch, which I really like. With that, I can let out more line just by touching the thumb bar, which is handy in areas where the depth changes a lot. However, if there's a lot of current, I like a spinning reel because I think I can get the jig to the bottom faster (your mileage may vary). I have a Abu Revo SX HS, which is an awesome reel. I like the magnetic cast control, and it has the best spool control knob I've seen (I know, that seems like a silly detail). I also have a Quantum Accurist HS, which has the flipping switch and is my flounder reel. The cast controls on the Accurist aren't as nice because even the lightest setting shortens the cast too much. It's probably better for flipping and pitching in freshwater where you're not casting too far. It's pretty good for casting heavier things, too. Both have held up really well to saltwater use.
                              Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                              Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Working...
                              X