GoPro set up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GoPro set up

Thinking about getting a GOPRO. What features should I look for? I was thinking a remote activation,to only record when i need to. Also which view is better; from behind or facing me. I know there is a personal preference but are some of the pro/cons.
    Thanks
    John
    Hobie Adventure Island 16'

Slayer Propel 10

Pelican Trailblazer ( don't hate , pond use only)

I have 2 cameras running when I'm out. One up high behind me and the other is on the front hatch. I have the gopro app, but when it's being used to control the camera it uses up more battery. I usually just reach back and turn it on. The one on the front deck I just leave running until it dies.
    2016 Ascend H12

Comment

If you're only getting one I'd either mount it up front looking back or strap it to your head. Personally I mount one behind me and one up front, but the best video would come from one up front and one on your head. I bought the remote and rarely use it, and used the app before that. Now I leave the front one running full time and swap batteries when needed, the back one I can reach easily and just turn it on/off manually.
      2015 Hobie Outback
      2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

I'm hoping to score a few GoPro's this Black Friday

- If you fish mostly trolling (behind) i'd mount it in the front, facing towards you

- If you anchor and cast out/away, i'd get the head-mount / chest-mount, or a high mount behind you, facing forward.
        Last edited by mchottie; 10-20-2016, 11:43 AM.
        Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

I have one GP and have settled on mounting it on a clip that is attached to my vest.

Comment

I bought a go pro hero 2 on ebay 4 years ago. It was brand new and came with different mounts and it only cost $190. I use a yak attack panfish portrait in front of me mounted on gear track for the camera angle facing me. I use the taller panfish mounted on a mighty mount behind me for over the shoulder angles.

Once I'm engaged in fishing I start recording. When I catch a fish I pose for a second or two then throw it back. Once I'm home I take a screenshot in the video player I use to capture the picture of me holding the fish. It's way easier than trying to take a selfie with your phone. The picture quality is great even though I use a hero 2. In my opinion, unless you're making YouTube videos all the time, want to post over-filtered instagram pictures, or you are a professional photographer, you can get away with buying an older model go pro (and save a lot of $$).

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
            Jayce
            2017 Ivory Hobie Pro Angler 12 "The Big Easy"
            2015 Flint Camo Wilderness Systems Ride 115X Max Angler

Comment

You just have to play around with it. No single shot is better than another. I used to run 2 go pros but I found I spent too much time farting around with em rather than fishing. I'm happy with the videos I'm making with just one.

A head strap is nice, as whatever you're looking at is in the shot. Makes for a nice video where your shot isn't just stuck in one spot the whole time.

A bow came on wide angle gives a nice shot if you're recording yourself trolling, or vertical jigging.

I'm not a big fan of the rear shot, unless you're doing it to compliment a bow cam.

As far as what GoPro to get, there's a lot to consider. Can your PC handle a 1080p edit? Most simple laptops and low end computers cannot. I bought a $900+ PC so I could do more 1080p where as before I was limited to 720p. If 720p is all you can handle, I'd get a GoPro hero3 silver or black. Both of those will be more than enough, and if you want to get into 1080p later on you can.

Another thing to consider if you want to shoot in 1080 is that you'll need a high end SD card. More $$$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Zack
              Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
              Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
              "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

Here is a good tip. Don't buy the rand name GoPro mounts. You see them for sale everywhere....Best Buy, Walmart, etc. For a single brand name chest harness or head mount you can pay 20 or 30 dollars. Don't do that.

There are some Chinese companies who sell entire kits (dozens of mounts) for less than the cost of a single Go Pro mount. That's what you want.

Granted, the quality of the Chinese plastic is somewhat lower, but I've had brand name mounts break as well. They're all just plastic, nothing special. You should have a secondary leash on your camera anyways.

Gopros are nice little cameras, but don't support the accessory racket they've got going for the mounts.
                I need a good paddling

Motorized 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12
                Garmin Echomap 93sv
                RIP, favorite St. Croix Rod

Comment

Originally posted by Huntrava View Post

There are some Chinese companies who sell entire kits (dozens of mounts) for less than the cost of a single Go Pro mount. That's what you want.

Granted, the quality of the Chinese plastic is somewhat lower, but I've had brand name mounts break as well. They're all just plastic, nothing special. You should have a secondary leash on your camera anyways.

This. I just bought two J mounts for $7 from Amazon. The company is called Sametop. I don't know if they are any better or worse than the GoPro brand mounts but I bought them to replace the broken GP mount that came with my original package.

Comment

Working...
                  X