Good Tracking Fishing Kayak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Tracking Fishing Kayak

I moved to Surf City NC and took out my Revo 13 with turbo fins for the first time down here. It turns out that everywhere I was trying to fish was not doable unless I pulled the fins and rudder up. Shallow. I'm looking now at maybe a Wilderness Tarpon or a Ocean Trident. I will travel far exploring coves, marshes, etc. and would need a good tracking kayak. With all the experience on this forum I was hoping to get good feedback to help with my decision. Also, what's a good selling price, old style seat and wheels????
    Thank you,

Glenn
    Glenn
    Surf City, NC

Congratulations on your move. I can't offer advise on a paddle kayak, but may be able to give suggestions on your Revo.

What year is it? They generally keep their value well. If it's 2012 or 2013 with turbo fins and a sail rudder, I have seen them sold between $1100 - $1300. 2014 has the transducer pocket so it would go for more.

In the end it all depends on how much you are in a hurry to sell it and can drop or raise the price accordingly.

Good luck to you!
    -Mustafa
    ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
    2016 Hobie Outback
    2012 Hobie Revolution 13
    "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

You may well want to consider installing the standard fins on your Revo if the water is shallow- be a lot cheaper than selling, buying another kayak and outfitting a new kayak...also install the mirage drive plug and paddle- the Revo is a good paddling kayak, especially with the rudder- tracks very well...I would also consider a stakeout pole and a good set of waders- if the water is that shallow wade fishing should be good to go- lots of folks in the keys do wade fishing with a kayak tethered to them- same on the Texas Gulf Coast...
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

As far as price of the old yak. I've seen them go from 1100 to 1600 depending on condition of the kayak and what all it comes with. If a paddle kayak is the way you want to go you are right on target with the tridents and tarpons. Tarpons are great for tracking and long distance. With my tarpon 140 my average speed is 4.5mph with a max of 6. This is not a standing kayak though all fishing would be seated. My trident ultra 4.3 has more rocker and handles bigger water and boat wakes with ease. It is a little wider so my average dropped to 4mph and a top speed of 5.6mph. I also own a Moken 14 but it can be a chore to paddle sometime with its wider bow. I would just keep the revo though and pick up a used paddle yak. I've seen tarpon 140s and trident 13s for sale as low as 500 bucks! But if your making the switch make sure you get a decent fiberglass paddle at least. 279.99 for most of them but it's worth it! I average 6 to 8 miles each trip and the carbon or fiberglass paddles make my day soooo much better! Tight lines! Any other questions let me know I have a lot of experience with paddle kayaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Desert Camo- Moken 14
        Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

I have an ultra 4.7 and it tracks like a beast. Also I've heard nothing but good stuff about threshers too.

If $ is an issue an old Craigslist tarpon 140 is tough to beat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Zack
          Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
          Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
          "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

I have a Wilderness Systems Pungo 1200 SIT that is light (48'lbs), fast and tracks like a dream. I am in my sixties and can do 8 miles without issues, assuming wind/tide isn't against me more than half the trip. I've jury rigged it for fishing with a cut milk crate and PVC pipe for Rod holders.

I worked some marshes with six inches of water in Deal Island in Mid Oct. No problem!

Check the used market. You should be able to fine one for $300-400.

Comment

I have a Wilderness Systems Ride 135, and am very pleased with it.
              Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Working...
              X