What Shoes Do You Wear ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Shoes Do You Wear ?

Its me again, the old f__t, new canoe fisherman. I paddle my 14' tandem canoe solo. Since my year old double knee replacements, squatting real low and kneeling are no longer realistic. I can still bend at the waist and knees but thats it. So when I enter or exit my fully loaded canoe from shore, it has to be floating in a few inches of water. This means that I usually have to stand in ankle deep water to enter or exit the canoe from shore.

I am presently wearing an old pair of low cut sneakers but they get sopping wet and track water & mud inside the canoe. Plus my feet stay wet during the entire trip. I know this is not a big deal in the greater scheme of things but its uncomfortable. I could always wear knee high rubber boots but they are hot and probably sink me if I capsized.

I read about water shoes but don't have a clue about them. I was thinking about Gortex socks or neoprene socks to wear inside the sneakers but this would still leave me with wet sloppy sneakers.

Sorry to be such an old pain in the a__. But any suggestions would be appreciated.

Joe P

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp...77336.11844093

Matches my kayak, shorts, and MKF shirt. So even when I get skunked, dammit, I look good.

Seriously, I love them. They drain really well and offer protection from all substrate. Got them on sale
    <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Bass Water Shoes

I wear Bass water shoes- very comfortable and protect the feet-
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I use cheap $10 water shoes. I'm not impressed by them, so I'm in the market for a new pair. Need recos for a good pair that drain well, provide good support and protects against ground junk. Oh yeah, gotta look good like MM when I too get skunked.
        2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

I wear basic crocs, the ones with the scuppers. They are great as far as getting wet and being comfortable, but they don't do well on slick surfaces such as wooden boat ramps.

If all you ever stepped in was a sandy or gravel bottom, they would be fine but if you are around slippery areas these may not be the best shoe for your situation.

Comment

crocs, drain well and rinse out easily. i dont think anything helps on algae covered ramps maybe cleats

Comment

My Bass water shoes have raised pebble soles that are really good on slick surfaces- I got them earlier this year at the Factory Outlet Mall in Gulfport, Mississippi, for $65 on sale-

Comment

Keens

http://www.rei.com/product/707782/ke...2-sandals-mens

I wear these sandals that I bought from REI. They are available at other stores, but I got them from REI because of REI's lifetime exchange policy...if the ones I have now rip or get worn out, I can exchange for a brand new one.

They are sandals, but they are as comfortable as a pair of sneakers. I even wear them to work most days. The soles are very durable, and I haven't had any problems with slipping on smooth surfaces.

My only complaint might be that when rocks or sand get in there, it's hard to shake them out. But I don't know if that would be easy to do when wearing any other shoes.

Oh - you also gotta watch out for zebra print sunburns on your feet. I had stripes on my feet the last time I was out on my kayak with these on.
                Sun Fishin'

Comment

These look exactly like my Bass water shoes- just a different brand-

Comment

I wear an old pair of Teva sandals to where I am going to launch and while getting the kayak ready. They are similar to the Keen sandals. Shimano also makes a good fishing sandal. However, with sandals, while in the water, stones can get inside the sandal. I have gone to a pair of BassPro flats shoes for the actual launch and for cold weather wear over my stocking foot waders. They are high top and keep the stones out. In sand, I don't wear any foot gear. I also don't wear any shoes in the kayak in warm weather.

Comment

New Shoes For Old Timer

Many thanks to all who responded to my topic. Loads of great recommendations to check out. I am definetely going to buy a pair of the water shoes. So far the Adidas Shoe & the NRS Hydro Socks is at the top of the list. Plus they are on sale at Eastern Mountain Sports.

The tip about slipping on the launch ramps and on the deck was very helpful to pick out water shoes with no slip soles. I usually wear ligh foam knee pads just in case.

Joe P

Comment

I wear an old pair of Tevas with a sole that's supposed to grip wet surfaces. They do OK on slick ramps if I don't move fast. I also picked up a pair of Champion boat sneakers at Payless for $15. They're made out of a mesh that drys fast, drains fast, and is fine enough to keep sand out. I prefer the sandals, though, because of the cool tan lines.
                        Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

I use Merrell mens water shoes. They have a great sole, all mesh with water drainage holes, and a nice toe cap. I use these for my river shoes, hiking shoes, kayak shoes, pretty much my go to outdoor sport shoes.
                          '12 Ocean Kayak Prowler trident 13 Orange
                          '09 Wilderness Systems Ride 135 Red
                          Kayak Fishing Mafia

-Both fish and men are often caught with artificial's-

Comment

I wear an old pair of Asics running shoes. They lace up snugly around my feet and provide suitable support. If I am walking across a rough beach or creek bottom, I do not need to worry about cutting my feet. Whatever you get, remember to rinse them out with fresh water after each trip and let them dry. Otherwise, they become unpleasantly fragrant.
                            John Veil
                            Annapolis
                            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I've had a pair of Teva sandals that have held up for years. Used for boating and canoeing, and now kayaking. They have durable, decently grippy soles and dry quickly. Your feet can breathe and they let water, dirt, rocks, and nasty swamp goop out as easily as they let it in. Gotta be careful though, they'll catch the edge of the dock as bad as a flip-flop. And you get some interesting tan lines. I think I like the Keen-style shoes for their closed-toe, open-shoe design. Best of both worlds.

Comment

Working...
                              X