Kayak Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayak Story

The last time I posted a lengthy story (On another site) I was ridiculed. This yak crowd seems to be more accepting and laid back so I'll caution you that it has some length. Just a simple yak story.

Since we had 80 degree weather this past Sunday I told my wife I would yak/fish in the morning over on the Eastern shore of Md., and come back to yak with her in the afternoon. I was up and over the Bay Bridge in the 6am hour & on the water fishing by 7. I saw a spectacular sunrise at 7:30, plenty of action, but all small fish. Tons of fun, but was back on the road at 11 am headed back to the Dena.

We headed out on Stoney Creek around 2:00. Did I tell her that I wasn’t going to bring a fishing rod? I figured that was implied. We started off and I dropped a trolling rod in with a Lil Jimy & twister tail. Just at that same time 2 of the loudest boats on the creek decided to go out so it was a rough start. My pleasant quality time with the wife was unraveling quickly. She didn’t say it, but was pissed when she saw me “fishing,” along with the extra noise as they did the 6mph crawl out of the creek. I’m beginning to think a guy can’t win at this yak with the wife thing.

Anyway, I didn’t see any bait or reason to keep at it so by the time we reached the Ft. Smallwood Bridge I was no longer “fishing.” Let’s call this the bonding part of the trip. She was leading and headed right out of the creek into the Patapsco. Ok..so I did a few quick casts to the structure at the mouth of the creek. We continued up the Patapsco towards the BG&E plant. She took a left and went back into a creek that I didn’t even know existed behind the plant. She just kept going as I tried to keep her in sight as I was casting.

She went all of the way in, around 2 turns, ….the never ending creek. I did catch a nice white perch back in there as she went around another corner following a beaver. This was a good hour in and out of this creek adventure. As we were coming out I saw birds looking very active out next to the BG&E plant. That got me a 2nd wind and I dropped over the trolling rod and cast out out my perch pounder. Wouldn’t you know it..more min-dinks like my morning. She sat there and watched me circle around a few times. I thought that was an expression of “boy isn’t my husband just having fun enjoying his passion” as she watched. Perhaps I should have gotten closer, because it was more of a “look at this asshole fishing again when he is supposed to be kayaking with me” look that she really had on her face.

Being the clever one …I picked up on it when she took off and was almost back to the mouth of the creek when I glanced over to she was no longer observing my fishing skills. I of course (Just like my fishing buddies will attest) made one last turn back the other way before I also headed to the creek. I’m thinking that I can catch her when my trolling rod went down and line was peeling. I ended up reeling in a 22 inch keeper. After a quick pic, clean up etc. I took off to catch up. When I reached the creek she was barely a spec in the distance I and I knew I was in trouble.

I hauled ass to try and close the gap before she reached the bridge. I cut it in half and could now make out her paddles as she fought the wind in her face. However, as soon as she got to the bridge she took off for the home stretch. I didn’t have it in me close that final gap until we were just about back to the pier. May have pissed her off again when I asked if she could take a pic while we were still out on the water in the yaks. Home and off the water right before 5. To tell you the truth I was not fully aware of my crimes and offenses until the 1.5 hour ride home to Virginia last evening. Moral of the story….. As stated in Raiders of the lost Ark “Choose wisely.” I know that I did 30+ years ago. Thanks, Dave

IMG_20161030_073713997.jpgIMG_20161030_161641952.jpg

Great story. My wife learned a long time ago that it's impossible for me to be on water without fishing or thinking about how the fishing is right now. She indulges my passion and I don't complain when new "essentials" show up in the house.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Hope you didn't get beat too badly when you got home!😂😂 Great job on the 22 incher.

Comment

Great trip report. The half dozen times I've kayaked with my wife, it gets called short because she needs to find a restroom.

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
          ...she needs to find a restroom.
          And THAT is why my girlfriend will no longer kayak with me.
          I need a good paddling

Motorized 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12
          Garmin Echomap 93sv
          RIP, favorite St. Croix Rod

Comment

Working...
          X