Sunglasses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunglasses

I've retired my old 1968 Vietnam era B&L Aviator polarized sunglasses- and ordered a pair of Costa Del Mar Fathom polarized fishing sunglasses. Figured forty some odd years of use was a pretty good ride for a pair of sunglasses- they are still good but the Aviators glass lens are too heavy and the gold wire frames too fragile and uncomfortable on my nose in the heat to wear everyday fishing.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

I have an old pair of aviators and serengettis. Both have heavy glass, flimsy metal frame and non-double hinges. Don't wear anymore when there are lighter and sturdier framed ones available.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

That's an awesome run for sunglasses. I've had my pair of Costas for over 10 years. They've survived numerous volleyballs to the face, being sat on, getting crunched in my pocket against my kayak, being immersed in saltwater, etc. and always seem to be able to be bent back into shape. They're reaching the end of the line, though. My next pair will probably be a pair of Costas, but I can't find a style I like. Plus, it's hard for me to shell out that kind of cash when there are so many rods and reels that I need. I can't really go with cheapo sunglasses because I can't stand the distortion of inferior lenses. I bought a pair of Hobies that were on sale from sierratradingpost.com, and they were like looking through a funhouse mirror.

I bought a pair of Wiley-Xs with interchangeable lenses and gaskets on the lenses for keeping the wind and jellyfish goo out of my eyes on research cruises. They work well for that, but they fog up in the summer if there isn't enough wind. They're actually ballistic sunglasses (there's a cool video of a guy shooting them with a light gauge shotgun at 15 yards) and have held up well to various impacts, but the lenses scratch easily.

I had a pair of Maui Jims in college. The lenses were a little tougher than my Costas, but they didn't have a neutral grey lens at the time. The bronze lens worked well for fly fishing in mountain streams, but I didn't like looking through a sepia print all the time. I might get a pair of Mauis if I can't find a pair of Costas I like.
      Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

I have 2 pair of costas the Swordfish with the CR-39 Gray lense, everyday glasses and work ok for fishing, and my Fisch with the 580 Mirror Green lense, these are my day out on the water fishing galsses. The Fisch frames feature no-slip Hydroliteâ„¢ lining and our signature three-hole venting system on the front to keep things cool even when things heat up.
        '12 Ocean Kayak Prowler trident 13 Orange
        '09 Wilderness Systems Ride 135 Red
        Kayak Fishing Mafia

-Both fish and men are often caught with artificial's-

Comment

I have a prescription pair of Maui Jims that I wear when I feel like/ remember to remove my contact lenses.
          <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Native gonzo's
            Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Costa Fantail with 580 blue mirror lenses!!! love them

Comment

I have been looking at Costa's and Maui's and I can't find some that fit my face. I got a pair of Hobie ones off ebay for $10 bucks and they have great lenses compared to my gas station aviators I normally wear. I used to wear peppers when I was fly fishing a lot, polarized floating glasses for $20? Sounded great to me! I may seek them out again if I can't find some of the nicer ones that fit me.
                Used to fish more.

Comment

Austin Canoe and Kayak had the Costa Fathoms with CR-39 gray lens at $119- did a search and found them at $114 and $139 at several on-line stores but Austin gives great service so i paid the five bucks extra (no shipping)...

Comment

The only way/reason I got those Maui Jim's was thanks largely to a groupon. Otherwise, I'm a $25 (MAX) sunglasses type of guy.
                    <insert witty comment here>

Comment

I used to wear inexpensive polarized glass Flying Fisherman sunglasses. They were decent glasses for the price, but as I aged and spent more time on the water, I decided to upgrade to Costas. I bought my first pair of Costas about 20 years ago. They had a wrap-around style with small windows on the side. The frame design was poorly engineered, such that it broke three times. Each time, I mailed it back to Costa, and they sent me a new pair at no cost.

After the third time, I spoke with the customer sales rep and asked if I could get a different style. She agreed, and suggested a new style that had recently been introduced -- Deep Blue. I ordered those, and loved the way they fit and looked. They curved enough at the sides to block light from thte side direction. At that time, Costa sold glasses with polycarbonate lenses, regular polarized glass lenses, or the high quality (and high cost) 580 glass lenses. Mine came with the standard polarized glass lenses.

I have used them as my everyday sunglasses for all this time and still think they are great. About 10 years ago, I left the Costas in their case in a hotel room in Columbus, OH. I realized that they were missing when I got to the airport. I phoned the hotel and asked if they could have someone check in the room to see if the glasses were there. They made what apparently was a halfhearted check and reported that the glasses were not there. This was on Friday of the week of the Annapolis power boat show. The next morning I attended the show and bought a second, identical pair from one of the sunglasses vendors (by the way, the guys who come there each year have very reasonable show special prices). Then on the following Tues, I got a package in the mail from the hotel that did eventually find my glasses. Now I have two pairs. Since then, one pair stays in my car and the other pair stays in my backpack that always comes along on business trips and vacations.

I have only good things to say about Costa sunglasses product quality and service.
                      John Veil
                      Annapolis
                      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I wear these. They look good and get the job done. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00373Y85K
                        2010 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Fathom's arrived by USPS today

So cool- the Costa Fathoms arrived this afternoon around 3- thanks to the postal service- black matte frames and 400 grey lens- and very cool looking, fit good and absolutely no distortion- so much lighter and much more comfortable than my old RayBan Aviators- OK- I think they are worth the money-

Comment

Working...
                          X