Walleye Pete, Giant Winter Fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walleye Pete, Giant Winter Fish

For all you guys wanting a mammoth fish. Go with Pete. He'll show you how.
    Here's an article he just put out for everyone. I wouldn't really recommend taking a kayak to CCNPP unless it's a really calm day. It can be done, but you gotta have all the right gear and experience.

http://walleyepete.com/uncategorized...shing-preview/

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

I second Alan's post. I have fished with Walleye Pete several times each year for the past few years. He gets me into waters that I am unable or unwilling to go with my kayaks or small center console. During much of the winter, Pete runs two half day trips to the Calvert Cliffs power plant. In past years, he had quite a few "make-up charters". The first 5 anglers who sign up get to go. You may or may not know anyone else on the trip -- the spaces fill up very quickly. As Pete's reputation grows, he has fewer make up charter days. If you want to ensure a trip, get a few of your fishing buddies and charter Pete's boat for your own party.

I also want to share another Walleye Pete trip I made last winter. Last Jan I and 3 others fished a full-day trip with Pete out of St Jerome's Creek (Buzz's Marina). It was 17 deg air temp when I left Annapolis in the wee hours of the morning. We had to break skim ice coming out of St Jerome's Creek. Once in the bay, the water was all liquid. We worked near the mouth of the Potomac and found school after school of large rockfish under diving gannets. I jigged up more than 35 fat fish to 34". We caught so many in the 24" to 26" range, that we grew disappointed when we hooked those "small" fish instead of a 30"+ fish. Without a doubt, that trip produced the most biomass of any fishing trip I ever made.

If you choose one of these charters please remember that during winter months Chesapeake Bay rockfish may not be kept -- Pete's trips are catch and release only.

003.jpg 005.jpg 006.jpg
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

3rd it, I did a couple trips with Walleye Pete. He puts you on the fish. He does make it t look easy, especially on that outflow, but the thought of going there on yak would be pretty hairy. It gets ugly quick.
      Jay

10' Green Slayer
      13’ Red Slayer

Comment

I've fished with Pete a bunch of times (usually on the rare open boat trips). It's a 2.5 - 3 hour drive for me each way but its worth it. He is a hoot to fish with and puts you on the fish. Pete and the other guys that fish with him will teach you about LTJ. Much of what I've learned about jigging directly translates to kayak fishing.

Comment

If anyone is interested in putting together a few boats, PM me. I'd be interested in going a few times this year. Maybe we can have a few SnaggedLine group days.
          Michael
          Washington, DC
          Hobie Outback

Comment

I caught my largest striper of the year with Pete in May -- a 29 incher on topwater.

I have been on two outings with him and each was productive. He works very hard to put his clients onto fish.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Rhino View Post
              If anyone is interested in putting together a few boats, PM me. I'd be interested in going a few times this year. Maybe we can have a few SnaggedLine group days.
              Anyone have an approximate cost per person? I'd be interested if reasonable.
              Kevin

2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Originally posted by Crotalus View Post
                I would be interested too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm interested and also a buddy of mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  WOOD DUCK 12

Comment

Originally posted by Crotalus View Post
                    http://walleyepete.com/servicesrates/

He may decide to offer a different rate for Calvert Cliff trips since he keeps his boat at a close by marina. You can also call Pete and ask him about rates and what dates he has available. If you are not used to jigging several-ounce lures repetitively, your arms and joints will be tired after a few hours. A half-day trip should be plenty of time.
                    Last edited by J.A. Veil; 11-13-2016, 07:21 PM.
                    John Veil
                    Annapolis
                    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

It's typically $100-$120 per person.
                      I'd do a trip with some snaggedliners. The first two weeks of feb are when the biggest ones are there, although it can be hit or miss. As the season wears on there are still plenty of really big ones with higher odds of catching. Nothing is a sure thing though.

Kokatat Pro Staff
                      Torqeedo Pro Staff
                      Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

I don't think Pete catches giant fish, I think they just look that way when he holds them.... and how the h3!! did Airforce beat Navy?!

Comment

I've fished with Pete several times as well & he works very hard to ensure everyone is satisfied.
                          I think I've always been a walkon and always took home fish & a learning experience.
                          Pete is a very knowledgeable & skilled guide who works hard for his customers.

I've often thought between his knowledge of areas & a kayak, it would be awesome if the 2 could be married. I think there would be a hume market for a guide who hauled our yaks someplace for us to fish & then take us to another spot. He fishes daily & knows a lot about many many areas.
                          Red 2015 Hobie Outback
                          Olive 2015 PA 14

Comment

Originally posted by dasher View Post
                            I've fished with Pete several times as well & he works very hard to ensure everyone is satisfied.
                            I think I've always been a walkon and always took home fish & a learning experience.
                            Pete is a very knowledgeable & skilled guide who works hard for his customers.

I've often thought between his knowledge of areas & a kayak, it would be awesome if the 2 could be married. I think there would be a hume market for a guide who hauled our yaks someplace for us to fish & then take us to another spot. He fishes daily & knows a lot about many many areas.
                            He and I have talked about it before. If we push the idea, I think he'd be game for it.....or at least give it a shot.

Kokatat Pro Staff
                            Torqeedo Pro Staff
                            Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Working...
                            X