Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beverly Triton Fishing (Monday 11/14/16)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beverly Triton Fishing (Monday 11/14/16)

What's going on gents!

A little about me:
    I've been an avid troller of the forum for some months now, and finally decided to create a post. I primarily fish the western bay and its tributaries (West River, Servern River, Sandy Point, Beverly Triton) Every once and a while I'll get out on the eastern bay with a friend. I fish from an Ascend FS12T sit-on-top kayak. I've only been fishing from a kayak for about 8 months. I have plans for a lot of upgrades and added accessories as I'm fishing with pretty much the bare minimum (i.e. No fish-finder, no anchor system). ***If anyone has any suggestions for accessories that my kayak can accept with minimal drilling, I'd greatly appreciate it.***

Now on to my day on the water. I went out of Beverly Triton Park with a friend on Monday 11/14/16 just after sunrise at about 7:45am. As we loaded our kayaks we could see a couple other kayakers about 100-120 yards out toward the eastern bay working a flock of bird activity.

I had heard talk about the Super Moon interfering with feeding patterns of fish, but see the hundreds of birds crashing the water decreased my doubts. I wasn't on the water for no more than 5 mins before I had a fish on.

I trolled a chartreuse paddle tail on a 1.5oz jig head, and a tandem rig with a 1.5 oz. chartreuse/red belly tsunami swim shad and 3/4 oz. chartreuse storm shad. I boated 6 striped bass in an hour and a half. Out of the six I had two keepers: 20" and 21".

IMG_6679.JPG
    IMG_6681.JPG

After that hour and a half the birds died down and moved out toward the bay bridge, so I called my morning on the water. Nonetheless, having caught the limit I wasn't disappointed. I had a good time on the water since I finally caught my limit after a 4 month dry spell on keepers.

Looking forward to my next off day and getting after the bigger fish moving south.

IMG_6676.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally posted by Paininthebass View Post
    What's going on gents!

A little about me:
    I've been an avid troller of the forum for some months now, and finally decided to create a post. I primarily fish the western bay and its tributaries (West River, Servern River, Sandy Point, Beverly Triton) Every once and a while I'll get out on the eastern bay with a friend. I fish from an Ascend FS12T sit-on-top kayak. I've only been fishing from a kayak for about 8 months. I have plans for a lot of upgrades and added accessories as I'm fishing with pretty much the bare minimum (i.e. No fish-finder, no anchor system). ***If anyone has any suggestions for accessories that my kayak can accept with minimal drilling, I'd greatly appreciate it.***

Now on to my day on the water. I went out of Beverly Triton Park with a friend on Monday 11/14/16 just after sunrise at about 7:45am. As we loaded our kayaks we could see a couple other kayakers about 100-120 yards out toward the eastern bay working a flock of bird activity.

I had heard talk about the Super Moon interfering with feeding patterns of fish, but see the hundreds of birds crashing the water decreased my doubts. I wasn't on the water for no more than 5 mins before I had a fish on.

I trolled a chartreuse paddle tail on a 1.5oz jig head, and a tandem rig with a 1.5 oz. chartreuse/red belly tsunami swim shad and 3/4 oz. chartreuse storm shad. I boated 6 striped bass in an hour and a half. Out of the six I had two keepers: 20" and 21".

[ATTACH]20444[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH]20445[/ATTACH]

After that hour and a half the birds died down and moved out toward the bay bridge, so I called my morning on the water. Nonetheless, having caught the limit I wasn't disappointed. I had a good time on the water since I finally caught my limit after a 4 month dry spell on keepers.

Looking forward to my next off day and getting after the bigger fish moving south.

[ATTACH]20446[/ATTACH]

Welcome, and it's great to hear about your success out there !!

Harlan

Revo 13
    Trident 13
    Cuda 14
    Necky Tandem

Comment

Originally posted by harlanbud View Post
      Welcome, and it's great to hear about your success out there !!

Thanks a lot!

Comment

After kayak fishing for 16 years I have learned that less is more. No more than 2 rods on the boat and a portable fish finder just for depth reading. Nothing more. Too many folks gear up and could never get back in in an emergency – cold water. Or loss of expensive gear. I hold my rod in my hand as I paddle with my foot pedals. A few lures in the dry well and that's it! You will not catch more fish with more items. Just think about how simple your last trip was. You either catch them or you don't.

Comment

Welcome to the board and congratulations on the keepers.

There is a lot of wisdom in what jbrown said. You either catch them or you don't. Take what works and makes you comfortable and don't fret about all the extra nice to have, but may not necessarily be needed accessories.

Two main accessories IMHO that kayak fishermen should have are a GPS fishfinder and a marine radio. Both for emergencies in that one helps you find the way back if the environment changes and the other to call for help in the event that something happens, God forbid. The FF can be installed without any drilling with some creativity.

All the best!
          -Mustafa
          ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
          2016 Hobie Outback
          2012 Hobie Revolution 13
          "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your successes so far.

I think we all go through an "accessorizing period" spurred by enthusiasm for this great hobby and perceived need.

Then we learn what we truly need for our individual fishing styles and we go through our "de-accessorizing period."

Fish counts and the quantity of stuff we carry are rarely directly proportional.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by jbrown View Post
              After kayak fishing for 16 years I have learned that less is more. No more than 2 rods on the boat and a portable fish finder just for depth reading. Nothing more. Too many folks gear up and could never get back in in an emergency – cold water. Or loss of expensive gear. I hold my rod in my hand as I paddle with my foot pedals. A few lures in the dry well and that's it! You will not catch more fish with more items. Just think about how simple your last trip was. You either catch them or you don't.

Great input. I appreciate it. I can see how too much can be a hinderance out on the water.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your successes so far.

I think we all go through an "accessorizing period" spurred by enthusiasm for this great hobby and perceived need.

Then we learn what we truly need for our individual fishing styles and we go through our "de-accessorizing period."

Fish counts and the quantity of stuff we carry are rarely directly proportional.
                Thanks a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
                  Welcome to the board and congratulations on the keepers.

There is a lot of wisdom in what jbrown said. You either catch them or you don't. Take what works and makes you comfortable and don't fret about all the extra nice to have, but may not necessarily be needed accessories.

Two main accessories IMHO that kayak fishermen should have are a GPS fishfinder and a marine radio. Both for emergencies in that one helps you find the way back if the environment changes and the other to call for help in the event that something happens, God forbid. The FF can be installed without any drilling with some creativity.

All the best!
                  Thanks a lot. I will definitely acquire a VHF radio ASAP.

Comment

Fellow Beverly-Triton Yak Fisher

Welcome to the forum and glad to hear from another Triton Beach angler. I drive a PA12 and normally get good action in the evening near Beverly. I spent more than I wanted to on my fishfinder (Elite 4x) and it is an expensive depth finder. I haven't found good contour maps for it for this area. I'm normally trolling so I haven't used my anchor yet. Hope to see you around and safe fishing!

gdm

What's going on gents!

A little about me:

[ATTACH]20444[/ATTACH]
                    [ATTACH]20445[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]20446[/ATTACH]

Gregory
                    ​Ain't Misbehavin'
                    2014 Pro Angler 12
                    '

Comment

What's going on gents!

A little about me:

[ATTACH]20444[/ATTACH]
                      [ATTACH]20445[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]20446[/ATTACH]

Nice work! Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by AintMisBehavin View Post
                        Welcome to the forum and glad to hear from another Triton Beach angler. I drive a PA12 and normally get good action in the evening near Beverly. I spent more than I wanted to on my fishfinder (Elite 4x) and it is an expensive depth finder. I haven't found good contour maps for it for this area. I'm normally trolling so I haven't used my anchor yet. Hope to see you around and safe fishing!

gdm
                        Nice. That's pretty much all I've done once I got into this kind of fishing. Hopefully we will run into each other out there.

Comment

Originally posted by supfisher01 View Post
                          Nice work! Congrats!
                          Thanks a lot!

Comment

Working...
                          X