Thinking of buying a Hobie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of buying a Hobie

I have the opportunity to buy a Hobie outback tonight for a great price. The guy wasn't sure of the year but appears to be in great condition. I suspect it's 2009-2011 model. Is there anything in particular to look out for? Any problematic areas with the drive? If it's v1 or v2 drive? It's a lot of money for a used kayak.

I love my $350 entry level kayak.. So I'm thinking this has to be a something I'll love.

I can't comment on hobies because I've only ever used one for a few hours, have never owned one. But many on this forum own 1, if not 2, of them. I think the main thing is just transitioning from paddle to pedal drive, as your predominant movement. As long as you're comfortable with that, I really don't think there's going to be a whole lot of difference, particularly with it being an older model which has a similar seat to that kayak you've got now I'm sure. It is going to be heavier though, but it may in fact be more stable once you get it out on the water. The pedal drive will really free up your hands for casting, trolling, really any sort of fishing activity, and the pedals should allow you to travel or even maintain position in any sort of windy conditions. I'm glad I've started on a paddle kayak to really hone all my fishing skills, because typically it only gets easier in the pedal models, particularly trolling (which is 95% of my fishing anyway).

Comment

I'd be leary of a seller who doesn't know the year of his/her Hobie. They cost so much new that I've yet to meet a Hobie owner who doesn't know what year their kayak is. Check around the scupper posts for cracks, make sure it has a full compliment of foam braces in the hull, and exercise the rudder to make sure it drops and pivots correctly. I'd also ask for any history the person has, original bill of sale, any upgrades, etc. To many yaks are stolen around our area unfortunately.
      Mike
      Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Great advice. Thanks guys.

Comment

The last 2 numbers of the serial number tell you the year the kayak was made. Earlier hobies had issues with the seams of the drive well and scuppers as mentioned earlier. A quick call to the police with the hull number you can check if it is stolen. Or you might be able to plug the number in online somewhere. Anyways good luck, hope it all works out for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Desert Camo- Moken 14
          Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

Thanks everyone... It all worked out. It's 2010, and e provides the bill of sale

Comment

Working...
            X