• Show
Clear All

Nice!
    Zack
    Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
    Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
    "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

That is a serious fish!! Well done and congrats!
      Bruce

Hobie PA 14
      Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Absolutely amazing catch. Way to start the year with a personal best. It's funny because I started with 4 rods; Chicken, Herring, Bunker and Hot Dogs! The chicken was the only thing I got a bite on. I have a trout net that I see would have been sorely inadequate for that monster you pulled out. I didn't realize you lost your fish grips but what a story. I don't think we could have asked for a better day weather wise. There's supposed to be a powerplant near Chalk Point on the Patuxent that has a warm water discharge that is supposed to be a good spot for catfish and other species. I'm going to start scouting it out for trip if your interested. Maybe you can get a new record before winter is gone! Once again, well done!

Gregory
        Gregory
        ​Ain't Misbehavin'
        2014 Pro Angler 12
        '

Comment

Originally posted by AintMisBehavin View Post
          Absolutely amazing catch. Way to start the year with a personal best. It's funny because I started with 4 rods; Chicken, Herring, Bunker and Hot Dogs! The chicken was the only thing I got a bite on. I have a trout net that I see would have been sorely inadequate for that monster you pulled out. I didn't realize you lost your fish grips but what a story. I don't think we could have asked for a better day weather wise. There's supposed to be a powerplant near Chalk Point on the Patuxent that has a warm water discharge that is supposed to be a good spot for catfish and other species. I'm going to start scouting it out for trip if your interested. Maybe you can get a new record before winter is gone! Once again, well done!

Gregory
          Yeah man let me know what you find out, would definitely be interested in making longer southern trips, especially when the water's warmer. And even on a nice 40-50degree day like we had. I gotta get roof racks for my daily driver (mini cooper s) because the gas in the truck going almost 2 hours one way will surely kill me. I just want to get into some different species this year, blues, trout, drum, etc. My next bucket list fish is a striper above 30" but I'm not greedy so if it doesn't happen this year, then no biggie. I've already checked off the number 1 thing on my kayak bucket list, a big fish, one that anyone looking at the picture would agree is big ( not like a 14" white perch, which would still be awesome, but only for fisherman who knew how rare that is)

Comment

Nice fish man! Those blue cats are good to cure the winter withdrawal. I caught one that was right around 40" just before Christmas and it weighed in at 30lbs. I can't imagine tangling with those 60+ pounders that seem to be caught with more regularity these days. My favorite baits for them are raw chicken breast and goose liver. I've also found trout head to work pretty well and live minnows will get you a mess of eaters. I agree that the 16-22" range is best for eating
            Ryan
            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
              Nice fish man! Those blue cats are good to cure the winter withdrawal. I caught one that was right around 40" just before Christmas and it weighed in at 30lbs. I can't imagine tangling with those 60+ pounders that seem to be caught with more regularity these days. My favorite baits for them are raw chicken breast and goose liver. I've also found trout head to work pretty well and live minnows will get you a mess of eaters. I agree that the 16-22" range is best for eating
              Thanks! I'm pretty sure a 60 pounder might sink my boat, or at least come close. Thanks for the tip about trout heads, I might actually be hitting up a trout stream this weekend, too windy and cold to venture out on the kayak. It would be nice, if I do get some trout, to get some more use out of them besides the fillets.

Comment

Congratulations on the new PB. For access to chalk point I know of eagle harbor right close by but I'm pretty sure they lock up for winter. You could launch at Benedict bridge and paddle up but its a little further.
                Last edited by Dsmdave; 01-08-2017, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X