SINK at O.C. ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SINK at O.C. ?

Bringing 2 canoes, Tarpon120 (SOT), Redfish10 (SOT)
    Wondering the wisdom of bringing the Prodogy 12' (SINK)
    will a SINK get swamped around the back side of Assat ?

Slack
    Captian of the plastic Navy
    1 - Mad River Canoes
    1- Tarpon 120
    1- Redfish 10
    1- Coosa HD
    2- Cuda 12
    1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Fished today with J.A Veil and Gary "Southerly", and gary had a SINK. I think he did just fine, just have to go around all the riprap to get anywhere.

Comment

good question!

i paddled a 2-seater. i think capacity is around 650# but whatever it is, i have excess flotation and ride fairly high in the water.

i liked commercial harbor launch and area inside of harbor all felt very safe. i think the open water area outside of there, that is inside of the OC inlet deserves your attention. there are 40'+ ish boats moving around especially nearer the inlet. i was very vigilant on watching out for any odd wake. we turned north and i paddled straight through the area w/o stopping and without any actual cause for concern.

there happened to be a well-defined patch of bumpy water outside of Gudlesky park where the tidal rip met the light easterly breeze. i paddled around that just to be on the safe side.

i didn't feel comfortable drift-fishing towards the bridge with my back to the bridge due to fast current. i would NOT want to let current get me pinned against the pilings for example,...

we pulled lines and went through the bridge and fished the downcurrent side of west channel there. there are plenty of shallow dunes farther up, not many boats. i think the western channel has less boat traffic than eastern channel. i noticed the party boat 'Flounder Pounder' was working west channel just north of the islands in the afternoon as the tide started to go out. little sorry i didn't go check that out a little closer.

the assateaque float plan seems like it would be very good also and i may try that next time i get a chance.

my plan was to use incoming current to help me get to the fishing area, and outgoing tide to help get back to the launch. and my reserve plan was to beach the kayak and return to my vehicle by land if need be if i did not like the looks of anything at anytime. that simply was never the case and i enjoyed the fishing, the boating, taking lunch break, knee deep in water at a sand dune in the middle of the bay, etc. a fine and safe adventure.

i did notice a canoe washed up and laying on its side at the marsh edge outside hooper's restaurant. it was 1/2 full of sand and told a different tale.

ps - very nice meeting you Matt. i'm really impressed with that mirage-drive outback - you were 100% business, on-the-game fishing while i was struggling to figure out some way just to get free enough to put a line in the water.
      Last edited by Southerly; 08-08-2011, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Glad to have to back and logged in Gary!! haha

Comment

Working...
        X