Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artificial Lure OC Flounder Fishing Tips

Hi Guys;

Good luck again to all who fish the upcoming MG.

If you are going to use the "gummy bear" soft body, lead headed artificials, these tips may help improve your success.

The "offshore speciality tackle shops" Capt. Mac's, Ake's, Mumfords, etc. usually sell small containers of pure Menhadden Oil. A pint can cost up to $25and you have to ask for it. But if each member of the MG party pitches in and buys one pint, it can be spit up between as many as 10-12 guys. Although this Oil is expensive a little goes a very long way. The old saying "a little dab will do ya," applies to Menhadden Oil.

If each member of the MG party brings a small clean & empty plastic jar with a tight fitting lid, the pint of Menhadden Oil can be split between the group and still have some to spare. The mouth of the empty jars should be large enough to dip you artifical in after it is tied to the end of your line and you are ready to put it into the water. Don't use any jars that contained strong smelling lingering odors like instant coffee.

Menhadden Oil is thicker than molasses, very very sticky and about as strong a fish odor as you will smell. One drop on the surface of the water will spread into a circle bigger than a man-hole cover and it lasts a long time on anything you use it on. Its a secret weapon of a lot of sharkers who chum the offshore canyons for makos and big sand tigers. It also works great as an attractant for tuna chunking. Some bill fisherman won't put a teaser in the water unless its been dipped in menhadden oil.

Flounder also like the smell of menhadden oil. What ever soft body artificial you are going to use, first rinse them off at home with warm water and a scent free soap. Final rinse with warm water. Use surgical gloves to handle them from that point on and store them in new Zip Loc bags until ready to fish. Avoid touching them with bare hands.

When you start fishing with artificials first put on the surgical gloves. Again a box of 50-100 surgical gloves can be spit up between a party of fisherman and save on the cost. In addition to surgical gloves, I use to keep a bar of unscented soap aboard and wash my hands as often as possible when handling any bait, chum, rigs or lures.

Warning! You don't want to get any menhadden oil spill on your kayak, clothes or rods/reels. The only place you want it on on your artifical lure. Keep a wet rag at hand just in case and clean up immediately. You don't want the sun to dry it on your boat or gear. The smell is sickening after it starts to decompose.

When you are ready to fish the artificial put it on the end of your line with surgical gloves. Then dip the lure just once in the Oil. Let the excess it drip off into the water before you cast or you will have it splattered on your kayak. About every 3-4 cast, re-dip the lure. If you can stand keeping the surgical gloves on your hands even when fishing, your success should be higher. Or wash your hands whenever you can.

Menhadden oil is not for use on live bait. It is so thick it can kill a minnow by blocking its gills. As I said earlier the oil is primaily used for chumming. Nor does it work on hair tail artificials like bucktails. It tends to discolor them and keep the hair matted together underwater so the lure loses that fluttering action during stop and start fishing.

I accidently discovered using Menhadden Oil on flounder during a slow day of flatfishing. No one on the boat was catching fish using the standard long leader drop sinker single hook rig baited with live minnows and cut spot strips. I grabbed a rod and tied on a soft bodied lure with a minnow and made a few cast. Something hit the minnow but not the hook. The next cast, something bit off the end of the soft bodied lure below the hook. I had some left over menhadden oil from a shark chumming trip, so I decided to try something new. I tied on a new white 1/2oz lead headed white body lure and dipped it into the menhadden oil. The next cast I reeled in a 4lb flounder. From that point on we switched the party to using the same lures all dipped in the oil. We totaled 8 keepers in two hours. I was drifting the edge of the Sinepuxent bay west channel north of the 50 bridge.

Flounder hunt with by sight and smell. They are perfectly designed bottom dwellers. They are flat, both eyes on the top side of the body, backs are camo colored to blend in with the bottom and a wide tail and fins to cover themselves with sand. The sideway mouth and sharp teeth allow them to attack and easily capture their prey with a quick surge upward off the bottom.

Flounder are very picky eaters. Preferably , they want their meals alive, smelling fresh, no foreign (human, gas, colone, deodorant, etc.) odors, moving and familiar to their taste buds. The addition of Menhadden Oil to a soft body lure gives it a live fish smell and leaves a scent trail for flounder to follow to your lure. This oil also helps eliminate short strikes that leave your lure tailess. I hope these tips help. Providing them brings back a lot of fond memories.

The last tip I can give you is that overall, I found that white is the color of choice when it comes to flounder.

Good Luck Guys, I'll be looking for your pictures on the cover of the Coastal Fisherman.

Joe P.

nice..thanks for the tips.
    Hobie Revolution 13
    Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

i would like to try the menhaden oil so thanks for the tip.

i saw a short flounder follow a fresh 7" white gulp at the surface repeatedly hitting it. he wanted it pretty bad and i'm sure he would have got on if he could have gotten his mouth around it.

Comment

Joe P you should write a book... I think you know a lot of info about fishing that a lot of young bucks like myself would love to know. You could do it as autobiography about different trips/memories or a more informational style. What do you think?

Comment

Flounder Fishing

Thanks CB for the kind words. I am new to canoe & kayak fishing and have a lot to learn. This is a whole different senerio than fishing from a power boat. You not only have to know about the fish you are after but you need to know how to handle a paddle craft in the waters that the fish inhabit. In the short time that I have had my canoe, I have develope the greatest respect and admiration for anyone who fishes from a paddle craft. This is real one on one fishing challenge that only a few brave soles are willing to take on. My hat is off to all Kayak Fisherman. And I hope I can learn from you folks how to fish from my canoe.

Joe p

Comment

My luck- If I got some on me the wife would think I was messing around on her!

Back in the day when I was a member of the Va Beach Sharkers, we used to throw cast nets and catch lots of big menhaden and grind them up for chum with a big commercial food grinder- we would freeze blocks of the mess and then use plastic five gallon buckets with one inch holes drilled in them hung over the side for chumming- the thick fish oil sounds like a much easier way to go and as long as you don't spill any on your kayak, sharks shouldn't start gnawing on the yak- Plastic does absorb odors and if you get menhaden stink on it, phew!

This is also the basis for the soft plastic baits in liquid containers- the liquid is an attractant and the plastic absorbs the flavor/smells...
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Artifical Flounder Lures

My most productive artificial lure rig was two all white 1/4 oz lead jig heads with 1/0 hooks covered with white torpedo shaped ribbed soft body grubs having 2-3" long curly tails that fluttered in the water.

I tied these artificials 2 feet apart on 30# leader, one behind the other. The front jig was attached to a 4" long knotted blood dropper loop so it would hang down and swim freely with out contacting the line leading to the end jig. This way both tails would flutter in the water as you reeled it across the bottom. And a drop or two of Menhadden oil would add some smell to the bait.

This rig was casted down current with spinning tackle and let settle to the bottom. Then retrieve against the current with a stop/ start motion, just fast enough to keep it from snagging but slow enough so you can feel bottom. Casting cross current usually resulted in a snagged rig as the line bellyed out on the retrieve.

I made the mono rigs myself and bought the jig heads and grub tails seperately in bulk from a discount mail order house. It save a lot of money and I wasn't concerned about fishing near structure where the bigger flounder lay. The same rigs pre-tied from the tackle shops cost four to five times more then what it cost me.

Flounder fishing is all about "feel." Some fisherman have and other don't. It comes with time spent fishing for flounder. Once you get the "feel" you start reeling in the fish. IMO, the worst thing one can do is set the rod down and wait for the fish to hook itself. Good way to loose a good rod and a good fish.

Joe P.

Comment

1/2 oz white bucktail tipped with big river minnows are hard to beat

Comment

Flounder Getters

I agree with the effectiveness of the bucktail and minnow combo. One reason I shyed away from that rig is because the flounder bite off the hair and render the lure useless until you get home and can re-tie a new tail.

They bite off the grub tail too. But I carried a good supply of extra's and just slid and new one on and when back to fishing without having to tie on a new lure. If you deer hunt or know some one who does, tell them to save & freeze the deer tails and you'll always have a good supply of bucktail to fixup the chewed up lures.

The bucktails and grubs can be also be spiced up with strips of flounder belly and spot. One fisherman I knew said he ran out of minnows and used one of those canned cocktail weenies on a buck tail and came home with two over 4 pounds. The weenies were part of his lunch. go figure.

Joe P.

Comment

You can purchase fish oil from trapping supply companies (Fur Harvester's Trading Post, Minnesota Trapline, etc..) for about $18 a gallon. They also carry fish grease which is like a paste. Pints of shrimp, clam, shellfish, salmon, and crayfish oil are available too, but a little more costly than the fish oil.
                    Brian

Comment

The inside belly of small sand sharks makes the absolutely best strips for flounder fishing- it is shiny white and flounder go for it.

Comment

Working...
                      X