Choptank/Cambridge Tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choptank/Cambridge Tips?

I can't make the m&g this weekend, but am eagerly anticipating getting some kayak fishing in. The wife, kid, and I are spending a couple of days at the Hyatt in Cambridge, which is right on the Choptank. We figure to launch from there at least once, and will likely try and do one of the water trails at Blackwater NWF too. I know the fishing pier is right around the corner from the hotel, but have't really seen any reports on what it's like to fish around the area. Does anyone have any experience or tips?

Also, we're heading down to Crisfield after Cambridge to take a fishing trip with my dad (he runs a charter boat out of Somers Cove). I was hoping to maybe get a few hours to kayak over at Jane's Island SP as well. Anybody willing to drop some knowledge?

Thanks, and I'll be sure to post a report when I get back.

If I recall correctly, there's a channel marker on the other side of the river from the Hyatt. Several years ago, I caught a mess of nice white perch and some decent channel cats while doing some research trawling in the river. I've never fished that area from a yak, so that's all the info I have. There's a tackle shop on the right not long after you get off the bridge. They'll probably have more up to date info.

As for Jane's Island, search for posts by hale33 in the kayak section on tidalfish.com. He fished that area regularly a few years ago and gave some tips about lures and where he launched. I know he liked popping corks with 4-5" bass assassin about 18" under the float on a 1/8-1/4oz head.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

fished there a couple years ago, theres a portage to the front of janes isl. straight across from the launch much better fishing there and faster than going around, current can be fast on the full moon.

Comment

Choptank River Fishing Piers

I havn't fished the Choptank for years. I have to go across the bridge when I am going to my hunting lease on Taylor's Island. Each time I cross the bridge I usually see a fisherman pulling in a perch. A local told me that they catch pan size strippers at night off the bridge bottom fishing with blood worms. I don't think the tackle shop is there any more since Walmart opened its doors and Shore Sportsman set up shop in Easton.

The Cambridge Walmart is a great source for hunting and fishing gear. I think they even carry live blood worms and frozen bait. They have one of (if not the best) well stocked hunting and fishing departments of any Walmart I have visited. Plus they have cheaper prices and better sales than even the Walmart in Easton. Any time I am going to my hunting lease (a Lot), I stop in the Cambridge Walmart just to see what they have on sale. If I need some hunting or camping gear that where I go. Tree Stands to camo clothes, ammo to arrows, you name it and they usually have it. Did I mention that they have great prices and sales.

Shore Sportsmen in Easton are on the expensive side. But they do sell a variety of bait. Angler's on 50/301 west of the BB, opens real early and carries a well stocked supply of most any bait you want. Even when i am going hunting, I always see a lot of trailered boats stopped at Anglers.

There is a Hunting & Fishing Store that sells bait on the east side of the BB on the right. It's not far from the BB and if you blink you will miss it. They also open early. I think they are on the pricy side.

If you have the time and you are traveling past Anglers, I would stop in and get some advice on what's being caught at the Choptank and what baits, lures and rigs work the best. Then stop at the east side of BB Tackle Store and ask them. Then stop at Shore Sportsmen in Easton and ask them. Then go to Walmart and buy what you need.

Times are Tough!

Joe P

Comment

Thanks everyone for the advice. Given the crappy weather I wasn't able to find time to fish in the choptank. My wife, kid, and I did spend Monday morning kayaking Blackwater. Great time.

My report on Jane's island is in the boatyard forum.

Comment

Working...
          X