Bass fishing near Baltimore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bass fishing near Baltimore?

Any suggestions for places up this way with easy kayak access?
    I don't have a permit for Loch Raven or Liberty.
    So far I have fished Dundee Creek and Bird River Creek.

Looking to expand my horizons

Did you make it up to the joppatowne quarry when you fished bird river? There are some big Bass in there sometimes. Susky flatts are supposed to be good for bass too. I think you could probably have access to the flats from Millard Tidings park. I have not fished the flatts myself only the area close to the damn and also by the 95 Bridge but I fished these areas mainly for Perch and Catfish.

I have not fished this are yet, but I plan to eventually. There is sort of a small lake on the patapsco above the bloede's dam off of Daniels rd. I've trout fished below the dam plenty of times and even took a paddle on the little lake area, but havn't fished it yet. I hear there are some nice bass to catch in this area.
    Last edited by Shady; 08-12-2011, 12:55 PM.
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

The Susquie

If you are lucky enough to be fishing w/ a partner (you will need two cars, one at put-in, the other at take out) you can drop a kayak into the river right below the Conowingo Dam and fish down thru to Lapidim or Havre de Grace, or Perryville. There are bass thru-out this area.

If you are solo, the Flats are good too. You can put in for free at the park in Perryville... but be forewarned, they lock the park gate at sundown... and you ain't getting out until the next morn!

dennyo

Comment

bass

have you thought about going out at broadcreek. Its free and has a small boat ramp and right on the edge of the susquehanna about a half mile north of the conowingo dam. you can google it. I go there quite a bit. catch smallmouth , catfish. sunnies. white perch, yellow perch.

Comment

Thanks for the tips everyone. I fished broadcreek last year using an inflatable which wasn't much fun. But I might give it a try with my Coosa. Should be much more enjoyable.

I was wondering about the susky flats but never really new the best place to put in. I might give tidings park a shot or go over the bridge to perryville park.
          Does anyone know how far a paddle it is before you get into any grasses?

I never made it to the joppatowne quarry. I'll have to read more about that one. What I found so far is that the land around it may be contaminated

I haven't heard about bloede's dam. Have to check that one out too.

If anyone is ever up for a day out on the water up this way let me know I have a pretty flexible schedule. The float down from Conowingo to lapidum or havre de grace sounds like a winner.

Comment

sunday 8/14 fishing out on the susky putting in @ 6am lapidium will be in a red and white elie sit in and my buddy will be in a green ocean kayak sot ........the Weather looks suspect.... rain....... i'll fish the rain as long it isn't a down pour or T-storms...... you are more then welcome or if ya see us out give us a wave "tight lines always my friends"" PHIL

Comment

fishing

the weather doesnt look promising. rain in the forcast. what were you going to fish for. I have gone out at broad creek for smallies. 6 is a little early for me, I am a diebetic and need to eat breakfast. I will check outside (as i live in harford county) and see how it looks in the morning. , i have a hobie pr. tan shirt, if you see me give me a shout.

tight lines.
              lee
              aka fjarhead

Comment

we are lookin to bass fish primarily. the weather is not looking so good..... if i go i will be on the water till at least 12........ my buddie has some hunny do's at home on sunday

Comment

Originally posted by YaknBass View Post
                  we are lookin to bass fish primarily. the weather is not looking so good..... if i go i will be on the water till at least 12........ my buddie has some hunny do's at home on sunday
                  cool, i may be there.

Comment

If you make it down this way, the Potomac is an awesome Bass fishery. I put in at a park on the maryland side across from the airport and paddle to the I95 bridge and plug the shoreline on the maryland side. lots of cover along the shore that produces nice results. I'd like to see a M&G happen up there near you on the Suskie Flatts. There is also a nice park to put over in Havre de Grace and you can fish all over that area for practically every species of fish local to this area that you can think of.
                    Tom Brown
                    Pro Staff: Balloon FisherKing, Catch 5 Baits, Century Rods, Smith Optics.
                    2012 Hobie PA 14'
                    Ocean Kayak Tident 13
                    2012, 2014, 2015, CBKA Tournament 1st place Crab Div.

Comment

I'll be giving Havre de Grace a try early Monday morning probably from Tidings Park. Anyone interested? I'm in a tan Coosa sporting a bright blue shirt

Hope you get some nice weather tomorrow but it's looking pretty crappy so far.

Jeff aka hooked again

Comment

Not sure how it is now but used to be some decent bass fishing in dundee creek and saltpeter creek. You can launch right near the boat ramp at dundee creek marina. Decent fishing used to be very close to the marina in and around the weedbeds. Also lots of channel cats, white perch, sunfish etc.

Comment

I live in White Marsh so I've fished a lot of the areas that these guys are mentioning. I fish a lot out of Dundee which is very good for catfish, perch and carp. Lot's of bass boats speckle that area all along the grasses....although personally I've found it a little rough finding the bass.

My two favorite places is the joppatowne quarry and havre de grace. The nice thing about each of those places is the varying topography. You can fish flats, weeds, drop offs, submerged timber...with access to deeper water.

The quarry is a little difficult to get to and can get crowded with bass boats on some days. I've also heard stories about the area being used for dumping and was taken over by the state for that reason. I don't know if there is truth in this or not. It does make me a little leery though.

If you want to fish havre de grace, skip tydings and launch at jean roberts park just north. It'll give you better access to garret island and the bridge pilings.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                          Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                          Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                          Kokatat Pro Staff
                          Torqeedo Pro Staff
                          Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                          Alan

Comment

I didn't get up to susky last week but will give it a shot on monday. Looks like I'll try jean roberts park and head over toward that island.

I fished dundee a lot this spring. Had one really good day, for me anyway. Caught 3 nice large mouth on rattle traps pulling them through grass/weeds.
                            Dundee is pretty convenient, easy to get a kayak into and out of the water, plus it's a short ride.

Comment

Working...
                            X