St. Mary's River

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. Mary's River

Looking for info on fishing this river. Tired of the dinks at St Mary's Lake and the dusk rules.

Access to St Mary's River is somewhat limited. You can launch at the college but need to park in upper lot or Dennis Point Marina (fee, unsure how much). Otherwise it's mostly private land or the Navy Base. I'd like to recommend St Inigoes or Piney Point as alternative launch points that are in that neck of the woods and offer very similar fishing opportunities. As discussed multiple times on here you're looking for edges and current breaks to target rockfish and other species. We've been having success with chartreuse paddle tails for rocks and trout and small crank baits for perch and the not unusual large rocks.

We are having a slower lower get together on the 12th at Piney Point which would be a good way to get some tips on spots from folks who fish it a lot.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

St Mary's River

Thanks for the response. What about launching at the northern most point on Great Mills road?? Any fishing up there?? LM Bass??

Keith

Comment

Never fished that part so don't have any knowledge. ive heard very faint rumors of snakeheads in the upper reaches of the bay rivers down here but until I see one caught they'll remain just rumors
        Mike
        Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

I've been out a couple of times in the last week. Had success trolling and casting bucktails for decent WP and rocks in 18"-22" range out there in the vicinity of the college/St. Inigoes/Porto Bello. I was out on Sunday for a pleasure cruise at sunset, so about an hour or so before high tide and saw quite a bit of breaking fish-didn't have a rod with me though! I would not recommend launching from the Great Mills launch. The first mile is more a shallow stream with lots of strainers and other obstructions. Though Boy Scout Troop 303 out of Valley Lee recently did a clean up (they removed approximately 1,000# of trash) and clearing some of the more serious obstructions, you will still need to portage through some shallows and around some other obstructions. That first mile takes about an hour to get to decent water. If possible, get some one to drop you off at the end of Adkins Road http://www.co.saint-marys.md.us/recreate/paddling.asp This is a pull out for the Great Mills launch, but private property and no parking. This puts you a bit above Tippity Witchity Island, but does provide some nice fishing. Don't know about LM, not something I target. You can paddle down and recover at the college. If you are looking at evening fishing, I would recommend sticking around the college/Horseshoe Bend as Mike mentioned earlier. What are you fishing out of? I'm down there most evenings in a red Wilderness or various Hobies.
          Tight lines
          Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
          Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
          Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
          Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

I appreciate the info man.

Comment

Working...
            X