No announcement yet.

Outback vs Revolution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

..... unless you need the butt room or additional stability ........ then its the outback...

Comment

Yeah, my Outback was incredibly stable. At one point during my first re-entry practice, I had it completely balanced on the gunwale almost perpendicular to the water while hanging from it, and it still didn't flip. I fell out of it before it flipped. Despite this, my buddy managed to flip it after I finished installing the drive for him, and I still can't figure out how he did it. I tried to re-create the event with my father but couldn't do it. The more I think about that yak, the more I kind of miss it...
      Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Being a large, economy-sized individual, I think the roomier Outback would appeal to my wide butt without the rudder controls becoming part of my hemorrhoids. The hull is radical and the cracking issues concern me, but most seem to think Hobie has that problem of the earlier Outback hulls licked- every kayak manufacturer has some problems with cracks and leaks- so the warrantee and service is also important- the cost of a Outback seem reasonable considered the mirage drive unit itself retails for $500.00- both the Revo and Outback cost $1799 at any number of locations- no difference in price- and not much difference otherwise-
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

"....becoming part of my hemorrhoids." LOL

Outback was very "roomy" when I tried both yaks. Revo felt tight and crammed. The Outback seat space gave more butt wiggle room, and you know we all need to shift our butts for max comfort. You could still grow your butt bigger and still feel comfortable

When I fished it Saturday, it was very stable when I turned around to access my tackle bag. The stability gave me a lot more tilt margin to move around.
          2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

i did some deep water re-entry practice last week. i think the outback may be harder to tip than my keowee 3 sink, also 33" wide. really felt like it had to get to about 30 degree or more, w/o bending at the waist.

i stood up in it too. i was tempted to try walking to the forward and rear cargo areas but figured i'd probably just bust my butt so left well enough alone. i did crawl back behind the seat and up to the front and could sort of sit there with legs to the sides without tipping forward too much.

on re-entry, i thought toughest part was flipping it back over. i put a couple fingers in a scupper to help and kicked/lunged up far enough to grab the paddle bungee on the far side to pull it over. if the paddle had been there, it probably would have left floating. and if the bungee was old and dry, it would probably snap.

water feels great - good time to practice this stuff if you haven't already.
            Last edited by Southerly; 08-28-2011, 09:12 PM.

Comment

I would think a better test Would be to put on a dry top and waders to practice deep water reentry
              Last edited by ronaultmtd; 08-28-2011, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Good idea Ron. It's a little different with more gear on. What you won't be able to recreate is the cold and stiffness that comes with it. Still will be good to practice!

Fishing should be great from now till December...
                Used to fish more.

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                  Tuf- 2 years ago I had a major surgery that split me wide open from groin to breastbone to remove eight feet of my intestines- so I have a lifting issue- cannot lift more than 50 pounds- my Prowler is at the limit of my physical limitations, that is why I made the kayak loaders. I don't lift more than about forty pounds of the weight of my kayak now by the technique I use- very concerned with weight issues. 66 pounds of total kayak weight means about 55 pounds of lifting using my technique and loaders.
                  Hey guy ........... with those limitations, I'd seriously consider a trailer ....... don't want to see you hurt ........

Comment

Figure I need a small pickup truck any way so I plan to get me a S10 or Ranger in a couple of months

Comment

Then maybe you ought to go for the PA for the ultimate "kayak" fishing machine. I think the seat is the most comfortable too.
                      Last edited by tufnik; 08-29-2011, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Impressions of the Outback So Far

Ok, Ron, here it is.

Well, I used the Outback a couple of times so far. I really like this thing. Just awesome. No regrets.

- I'm getting better at loading it on the minivan. The yak is rather wide and bulky (compared with my Trident 13), but I've learned to know how to leverage and apply my limited strength.
                        - The stability is one of the main reasons I bought this yak, and it is just great. I do a lot of body turning to access my stuff in the back, and I feel so comfortable without the threat of over-tilting. I was extra careful whenever I accessed stuff in the back of my Trident, and still I felt it was a balancing act. Much more confidence in the Outback. I caught a couple of sharks at Lewes this past weekend. The sharks went all over the place, splashing and banging the sides of the yak. I felt very comfortable in the yak while shifting, pulling the rod and positioning the sharks. I never felt I was was near the tilt point.
                        - Probably the biggest yahoo is the hands-on fishing. After fishing my Trident for 2 1/2 years, this Hobie is like going from night to day. It is so much more convenient and fun not having to use my paddle. This was particularly evident when I fished at the Lewes Inlet where the flowing current and the boat wakes made it tough to hold position. Once I got the rhythm, it became automatic to pedal and turn the rudder with left hand to maintain position. Yesterday I fished the pilings at the Bay Bridge, and it was so much easier with this yak to hold position at a piling or to scoot to the next piling, all while holding my rod/reel.
                        - There is one caveat. I'm right handed and use a like baitcaster. While fishing, I have to stop cranking with my right hand, shift the rod from my left to the right to hold the rod, shift my left hand down to the knob to adjust the rudder, shift my left back up to grab the rod and then resume cranking with my right. If you use a lefty bc, your left crank hand shifts straight to the rudder knob without the rod shifting hands. Still, I like my righties because I have a bunch of them.
                        - At the Bay Bridge yesterday, the chops were over 3 feet at mid/late morning. The yak did not slice the waves as well as my Trident. However, I did feel a better sense of comfort knowing the stability of the Outback was better at resisting a tipover in rough waters.
                        - To me, pedaling offers two big advantages. One, of course, is the endurance of the legs. I did not feel as tired as when I paddled my Trident. I felt I could go farther on the Outback. On the other hand, since there is more drag on the wider Outback, I'm doing more work for a given distance. That is, I suspect I'm using more total energy in pedaling the Outback than in paddling the sleeker Trident. Second, the legs give you quick power when you need it. At Lewes where the current and waves pushed me, there were times I needed to scoot fast. All I did was pump hard and off I went. And once the yak moved, the rudder turned the yak quickly.
                        - Oh yeah, I used the turbo fins for the first time yesterday at the Bay Bridge. As everyone says, yes, it's faster, once you're moving. You do have to push harder on the pedals. One thing, I'm not sure the yak (from a stand still) accelerates faster with the longer turbo fins. The standards are shorter with less resistance. So your legs can get the fins moving quicker, thus the fins can grab water with more fin cyclings. This quicker acceleration helps when you want to move away quickly while positioning near rocks or pilings.
                        - There were times I was heading straight into the jetty rocks at the Lewes Inlet. Of course there's no reverse. Here's where a quick left hand helped. I quickly loosened the hold-down bungee, grabbed the paddle, and paddled away from the rocks. Then I switched back to leg power.

Comment

I need to learn quickly how to become a Hobie Mirage Drive owner- after all I am still learning to fish from a kayak-

I want to buy a Hobie Cart to transport my new toy-- that is one thing the previous owner hadn't gotten to yet- He had a pickup truck and drove it to the lake

Comment

I own both and have done some side by side comparisons. The revo's primary stability is tippy but it has a very good secondary. It's very hard to turtle. Your butt is at or below the water line in the revo and the cockpit fits like a glove. I'm a medium size guy. The revo's hull design cuts through waves nicely. I personally don't think the revo is very fast, especially without the turbo fins. With the standard fins, my son can beat me in short sprints when he paddles my 13' prowler. So I thought, what's the big deal with the revo, not real fast, and the primary stability isn't the greatest for fishing.
                            The outback is accurately called the SUV. Lots of cockpit room and VERY stable (primary stability). No problem standing up in it. I have sailing rudders on both and the outback with turn in a much shorter radius. In the outback you sit up higher than the revo and you feel like you are in a much more substantial craft. Now lets cut to the chase... speed wise, I have done a lot of testing.. top speed is the same. Pedal them side by side as the same cadence they go the same speed and will glide the same distance. The difference is it takes a little more effort; the pedal resistance is slightly more on the outback. And I mean slightly, it's barely noticeable and for me certainly not anything that would make me choose the revo over it.
                            The only downside to the outback, in my opinion, is the hull slap. There is a constant hull slap in even moderate chop. The constant slapping does get a little annoying when you're long a long way. And in bigger chop, you notice the resistance as you break trough it.

So to me, the revo seems smoother, or the outback seems a little clunky by comparison. But both are more than adequate on the bay. I'm used to the tippiness of the revo, so it's not a problem any more, so if I had to choose between the two, for the bay, I'd probably go for the revo. But if I were much bigger than the 5'10" 165# that I am, or if I wanted a LOT of stability, I'd definately go for the outback. Both are GREAT kayaks.
                            -Jimbo-

Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 30#
                            Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 20#
                            Fishbites - Saltwater version

Comment

I did not see enough things to sway me- I went with the Outback. I am setting mine up for salt water fishing.

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                                I did not see enough things to sway me- I went with the Outback. I am setting mine up for salt water fishing.
                                Saw the new 11.6' Revo this weekend at the tournament, has some very nice new features my favorites are the new handles for carrying, not molded actually able to grip and best of all guides on the mirage drive, makes it much easier to put drive in.

I am seriously considering getting one!

Comment

Working...
                                X