New to Kayaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Kayaking

Hi all, I'm looking to do some Kayak fishing around the Solomons island area and eventually out in the bay. West Marine has two kayaks that I'd like to get someadvice/input on.

They have the Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT for $450 and the Prowler 13 for $600.

Is there much difference between these two and would you consider either of them appropriate for this use?

Is the prowler worth the extra $150?

Both would be bay worthy in my opinion, but the prowler i probably slightly more suited and may have some of the fishing extras.

Comment

Originally posted by SoMDYak View Post
      Hi all, I'm looking to do some Kayak fishing around the Solomons island area and eventually out in the bay. West Marine has two kayaks that I'd like to get someadvice/input on.

They have the Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT for $450 and the Prowler 13 for $600.

Is there much difference between these two and would you consider either of them appropriate for this use?

Is the prowler worth the extra $150?
      Welcome to the world of kayak fishing.

I believe there is the Prowler, Prowler Trident and the Prowler Trident Angler - which Prowler is it? The angler has the rod pod and rod holders built in.

Another thing to consider is the length, most guys would tell you that 13' is about as short as you want to go when fishing the bay, the longer the kayak the better the tracking which is important when trolling, trying to hold your direction in wind and current etc. Shorter kayaks are more manueverable but can get tossed around easier in the swell.

How long is the Scrambler and does it have rod holders etc built in?

Storage compartments and ease of access to storage is also important.

Your weight and height should be considered, check how much weight each kayak holds.

Finally consider weight of the kayak itself, depends on what kind of physical shape you are in and what make/model of vehicle you will be using to haul kayak.

Comment

Flat out, the Prowler is the better kayak for the bay. It will track better and is set up better for open water. It is designed for fishing, more storage and areas for mounting things. This is just in addition to the good advice that eastonkayaker gave you.

West Marine just had a sale on the Prowler, $100 off. I don't know if it is still on sale or not. Keep checking as they go on sale every so often at West Marine.

Comment

If I remember correctly from my own research in finding a kayak I think the scrambler is also a bit narrower then the prowler, therefore more "tippy"

The info above sounds about right to me.

Welcome to the sport

Comment

Originally posted by jsquare View Post
            If I remember correctly from my own research in finding a kayak I think the scrambler is also a bit narrower then the prowler, therefore more "tippy"

The info above sounds about right to me.

Welcome to the sport
            I bought the very same model OK prowler from West Marine in early March- I love it- repeat- Love It- great deal- I have had it out in nasty weather and rough ocean- it performs and handles waters you would not want to be in-
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I don't have any advice regarding the kayaks, but I live in St. Mary's county and fish the area regularly. If you ever want company, feel free to give me a holler.
              Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
              Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Thanks for the input all. Easton, the Scrambler is 12' the prowler (just a basic prowler I believe...) is 13'. Both have rod holders but not a whole lot of storage access from what I can tell of the pics on West Marines website.

I'll be putting my kayak on the roof of my car for now but I do have a trailer hitch on it. Maybe a utility trailer later? I dont know.

ictalurus, thanks for the offer. When get my yak I'll hit up the forum here for company.

Comment

May want to lock at the perception pescador 12 at West marine, this is the "older" (2008 and older) Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120.
                  They will price match is, Acadamy has it for 499.00.
                  Captian of the plastic Navy
                  1 - Mad River Canoes
                  1- Tarpon 120
                  1- Redfish 10
                  1- Coosa HD
                  2- Cuda 12
                  1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Comment

Welcome to the brotherhood. I hope you have as much enjoyment as I have had the last two years... You should try to make a meet and greet in the next couple months. Next month 09/10 is the Tournament and looks to be a good time. There is a post on here somewhere and may still be a spot open. Again, welcome and hope to see you on the water...
                    Tom
                    Tom Brown
                    Pro Staff: Balloon FisherKing, Catch 5 Baits, Century Rods, Smith Optics.
                    2012 Hobie PA 14'
                    Ocean Kayak Tident 13
                    2012, 2014, 2015, CBKA Tournament 1st place Crab Div.

Comment

Working...
                    X