Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spring dreaming Chesapeake Bay comprehesive kayak launch & paddle-in campsite map

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring dreaming Chesapeake Bay comprehesive kayak launch & paddle-in campsite map

Hi all,

Ralph Heimlich from the Chesapeake Paddlers Association created a bay-wide database and interactive map of kayak launches and paddle-in campsites. Here's the website: http://www.cpakayaker.com/chesapeake...-campsite-map/

It's a volunteer labor of love that Ralph shared with the world. He just updated it to include:

Bodkin Creek Launch at Downs Park, MD
    Rumbly Point Ramp (location), MD
    Dahlgren Wayside Park, VA
    Crows Nest Natural Area Preserve, VA
    George Washington Birthplace NPS Beach, VA
    Clarks Landing Road, MD
    Cape St Marys Landing, MD
    Buzz’s Marina, MD
    Beachwood Park, MD (spelling)
    Kingston Landing, MD (location)

He welcomes additions and corrections. His contact info is on the website.

So many places I haven't yet paddled . . .

Lisa

Very helpful- much appreciated
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

VERY Helpful, PLEASE send Ralph our thanks.

As we discussed at the AA CO Rec & Parks meeting, I had no idea several of these parks had water access points!
      Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

VERY VERY helpful.
        I think this website has more information than paddling.net website.
        Appreciated a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Mk37dir View Post
          VERY VERY helpful.
          I think this website has more information than paddling.net website.
          Appreciated a lot.
          And if you have corrections or additions please send them to Ralph. It's a big Bay and he appreciates the help.

He is not looking for your fishing spots only your launchsites.

Lisa

Comment

Very helpful, just shared Link, thanks Ralph
            Snow Camo Lure 11.5
            Pod mounted 30lbs trolling motor
            Hummingbird Helix 5
            Kayak fishing and inviting! Doing what I love!

Comment

Yeah +1 on the kudos! I don't know how much paddling and camping I will do, but the launches themselves are amazing!

Comment

Lisa, I have a POI file of all the campsites on the Upper Potomac. Would your friend be interested in them for his map or is he just focused on the bay?

Comment

Originally posted by DonV View Post
                  Lisa, I have a POI file of all the campsites on the Upper Potomac. Would your friend be interested in them for his map or is he just focused on the bay?
                  I bet Ralph would welcome your campsite info, he has kayak launchsites on the Potomac but not campsites. Ralph's contact info is on the page: http://www.cpakayaker.com/chesapeake...-campsite-map/

Lisa

Comment

Originally posted by DonV View Post
                    Ralph says sure, the more the merrier. His email is: heimlichfamily@comcast.net

Lisa

Comment

Originally posted by Lisa View Post
                      Ralph says sure, the more the merrier. His email is: heimlichfamily@comcast.net

Lisa
                      I'll get it off to him. Here is the place I found it originally. http://www.tasigh.org/kmz/
                      The poster has the towpath and a few other files from the northeast part of the country that some may file useful.

It's a Google earth kmz file with all the features along the towpath. Parking, boat ramps, spot o pots, drinking water, campsites, features and mile markers are all covered. I can't vouch for the accuracy but from a pretty thorough look it seems damn close. I had put much work in and cleaned up the file naming all the points with their common names but in a computer upgrade somehow managed to lose it all. I'll at least try to clean up the campsite section and name the stuff correctly before sending it off to your friend but the whole file many around here may find very useful and it's there for the taking.

Comment

Thanks for posting Lisa. Very helpful link.

FYI: I sent Ralph a private note thanking him for putting this map together, he said to tell everyone to share and "spread the word"
                        -manny

Hobie Outback
                        Wilderness Systems 130T
                        Hobie Outfitter

Comment

You're welcome. That map is Ralph's superb labor of love.

I'm eyeing Mathews County Virginia, lots of put-ins and it's pretty country down there.

Lisa

Comment

Working...
                          X