Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North Myrtle Beach

Hi all,

I am heading to North Myrtle Beach for a week at Memorial Day. Gonna take the yak but we've never been there. Any recommendations or suggestions would be appreciated. I already have some feelers out...

Thanks!
    J

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Jim McFalls
    MSG US Army Retired
    US Army Field Band Jazz Ambassadors Class of 1998

2018 Hobie Revo 13 - Sea Grass
    2015 Elie Coast 120XE Angler - Yellow/White
    2015 Pelican Unison 136t Tandem - Orange/White
    Instagram - @jmcfalls1960
    YouTube - Jimbo the Fishin' Musician

I've traveled several times to North Myrtle with my kayak. While I've never tried to fish the Myrtle area, there is great kayak fishing to your south. I've launched several times at the public boat ramp at Pawleys Island (go over North Causeway from Rt 17, next left to practically the end of the road, about .5 miles, to 3rd Street. Ramp is on your left. I've caught flounder, reds and specks on Pawleys island creek. Check the tides. The current gets pretty strong near the mouth of the creeks at tide change. There is also a kayak launch I've used in Murrells Inlet right behind Morse Park landing. My personal experience is the fishing wasn't as good and be careful at low tide, way too much mud. Lastly, my favorite bait shop ever is in Murrells Inlet - Perry's Bait & Tackle. They'll have cheap mud minnows and anything else you'll need.

One caveat, the traffic will be insane over Memorial day weekend (not sure if its still Biker Weekend; it always was when I was growing up nearby) so the drive from N. Myrtle to Pawleys Island and Murrells inlet won't be fun, especially if they're still doing construction on Rt 17. Try to go as early in the AM as you can than after fishing, spend the rest of the day at Marsh walk in Murrells inlet.

Hope this helps,
    mike
    Pawleys Island Boat Ramp.jpg

Murrells Inlet Kayak Launch.jpg
    Mike

2020 Hobie Outback - Camo

Comment

Originally posted by mjkeith13 View Post
      I've traveled several times to North Myrtle with my kayak. While I've never tried to fish the Myrtle area, there is great kayak fishing to your south. I've launched several times at the public boat ramp at Pawleys Island (go over North Causeway from Rt 17, next left to practically the end of the road, about .5 miles, to 3rd Street. Ramp is on your left. I've caught flounder, reds and specks on Pawleys island creek. Check the tides. The current gets pretty strong near the mouth of the creeks at tide change. There is also a kayak launch I've used in Murrells Inlet right behind Morse Park landing. My personal experience is the fishing wasn't as good and be careful at low tide, way too much mud. Lastly, my favorite bait shop ever is in Murrells Inlet - Perry's Bait & Tackle. They'll have cheap mud minnows and anything else you'll need.

One caveat, the traffic will be insane over Memorial day weekend (not sure if its still Biker Weekend; it always was when I was growing up nearby) so the drive from N. Myrtle to Pawleys Island and Murrells inlet won't be fun, especially if they're still doing construction on Rt 17. Try to go as early in the AM as you can than after fishing, spend the rest of the day at Marsh walk in Murrells inlet.

Hope this helps,
      mike
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]23065[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23066[/ATTACH]
      Thanks!!! This is great!

Jim McFalls
      MSG US Army Retired

Comment

Glad to help a fellow retired Army yak fisher!

mike
        Mike

2020 Hobie Outback - Camo

Comment

I'll be checking those spots out as well. We'll be heading down there at the end of the month for the kids' Spring Break. I've thought about bringing the kayak before; definitely this time.
          2015 Hobie PA14
          2000 Hobie Mirage Classic with rod holders
          2006 Triton T/S 17

Comment

Originally posted by mjkeith13 View Post
            Glad to help a fellow retired Army yak fisher!

mike
            Mike!

A fellow vet! I retired in 1998. 20 years ago. Time flies!

Thanks again for the intel.

Jim

Jim McFalls
            MSG US Army Retired

Comment