New hobie compass questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New hobie compass questions

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has the new hobie compass, or took one for a test run to see how it was. How is the seat compared to other models? Any insight is appreciated

Thanks!
    Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
    -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
    -Orange Heritage featherlite

Originally posted by Jaspratt View Post
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone has the new hobie compass, or took one for a test run to see how it was. How is the seat compared to other models? Any insight is appreciated

Thanks!
    A friend of mine has one and I’ve taken it for a whirl. I think the seat, and they kayak itself are the best that Hobie makes. It is every bit as comfortable as the vantage seat. It can’t be raised but is high enough for me, it attaches easier and is more secure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    -Jimbo-

Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 30#
    Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 20#
    Fishbites - Saltwater version

Comment

Thanks for your input, does the seat rock at all or flex while pedaling that you have noticed?
      Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
      -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole

Comment

Originally posted by Jaspratt View Post
        Thanks for your input, does the seat rock at all or flex while pedaling that you have noticed?
        Not that I noticed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        -Jimbo-

Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 30#
        Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 20#
        Fishbites - Saltwater version

Comment

The Vantage seat is very nice. It has continuous reclining positions and lumbar support. I don't know if the Compass seat has those features. But the Compass seat looks plenty comfortable for a typical fishing outing.

I looked closely at the Compass before replacing my Revo with a new one. I did not water test it. I like the design because the bow is sharp and the hull builds to a wide stable platform.

What I didn't like was that there were no external side handles easy to grasp like I am accustomed to on the Revo. To transport, I car-top to a rather tall vehicle, a Sienna minivan. Given the lack of those handles and the boat's 34 inch width at mid-hull, I felt it would be difficult for me to lift the Compass to the rack on my van. The sales rep admitted that others who looked at the boat had the same concern. Perhaps Hobie will change that in future editions.

But otherwise, I think Hobie has a built a winner.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

One of the guys from a kayak fishing charter (who has a compass in the fleet) told me that he likes the Compass as a fleet boat, but wouldn't want one as his personal boat. He said the seat isn't quite as comfortable or as adjustable, and it has a lack of storage in his opinion. I think Hobie should've made the boat a bit closer to the price of the perception pilot, if they wanted a true "budget boat" since all the upgrades on the outback seem to be worth more than the $550-ish price difference (180 drive, better seat, more storage in the bow, better rudder, carrying handles). But I do like that it's a new hull design, and fairly lightweight. I think they priced it to be competitive with 1-2 year old hobie outbacks/revo 13s, so if you capped your budget at 2K, you would be choosing between a boat with more upgrades/options, or new one with a factory warranty.

I certainly think it's worth a test ride though, I've heard that the boat can be quite polarizing. One well known youtube kayak fisherman really didn't like it, and others have raved about it.

Comment

I saw a YouTube video where the individual tested the Compass during a local Demo Day. He felt the seat rocked back and forth when he pedaled. Not sure if this was intrinsic to the new seat design, user-error, or a failure on the part of the outfitter not installing the seat correctly for Demo-Day customers. I could see that issue being a deal-breaker for me.
              -manny

Hobie Outback
              Wilderness Systems 130T
              Hobie Outfitter

Comment

I have heard similar things about the seat. I know the original seat straps to adjust the recline were to short. So hobie had all the dealers change out the straps for longer ones. I think with the weight shifted more behind the seat, it now it rocks when you pedal. I believe its a poor design that was over looked because the back rest support straps being shorter.
                Jason

Comment

Working...
                X