No announcement yet.

Landing big fish from a kayak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I go the net route, most of the time, when it comes to landing fish. I use the leverage landing net that allows me to net them with one hand without having to lean out too far, and it has a rubberized mesh that is easier on the fish (this should be mandatory on all landing nets).

There are several reasons I use a net. It seems that stripers always give a good shake as soon as you pull their head up to go for the grab, any maybe it is because I am too slow, or just too scared of getting impaled, that I almost always miss the first time, and more often than I would like to admit, the fish has been gone before I had a second chance. I have also found that, particularly with smaller stripers, the thrashing they do at the side of the boat can tear their mouths up pretty bad. Using a net, I can often land the fish, remove the hook, and get it back in the water with less damage than I am able to just trying to lip the fish.

Those more skilled at landing a fish than I, certainly don't struggle with these issues as much, but for me, using a net has made landing much easier and my day of fishing more enjoyable as a result.
    Kevin

2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

lots of good points guys....if you learn better by watching video, I've included a compilation video with lots of big fish going in the boat. The one big red in here shows my set up...play the fish out, left hand grabs leader, open bail (really inportant) put down rod, slide fish carefully up and over gunnels onto lap....I think you even hear me going "holy c$@*" once he's in the boat.....The one thing I didn't see mention of was the leg lift. I don't use it as much in the Hobie as I did when paddling but it does help stabilize you a bit IMO, so I thought I'd mention that too. Also check out Kayak kevins videos on this technique as he is really the originator.

https://youtu.be/7RSb0EYamtk
      John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
      Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
      2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Very nice...as you show in the video there is a slight difference landing big fish with convention vs. spinning tackle...I back the drag off my Revo low profile casting reels and open the bail on my spinning reels when I put them in the rod holders...and you can never say you have a snakehead caught until you actually put it in the cooler on ice...they are escape artists!
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by jhoss View Post
          lots of good points guys....if you learn better by watching video, I've included a compilation video with lots of big fish going in the boat. The one big red in here shows my set up...play the fish out, left hand grabs leader, open bail (really inportant) put down rod, slide fish carefully up and over gunnels onto lap....I think you even hear me going "holy c$@*" once he's in the boat.....The one thing I didn't see mention of was the leg lift. I don't use it as much in the Hobie as I did when paddling but it does help stabilize you a bit IMO, so I thought I'd mention that too. Also check out Kayak kevins videos on this technique as he is really the originator.

https://youtu.be/7RSb0EYamtk
          What sort of fish and size was it that hit at around the 1min mark? I see the seagull was also about to hit the lure, and it looks like you were trolling a very shallow lure that you hadn't quite let out all the line yet for? Just curious, but it's awesome you got like a full topwater trolling strike on video like that.

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
            What sort of fish and size was it that hit at around the 1min mark? I see the seagull was also about to hit the lure, and it looks like you were trolling a very shallow lure that you hadn't quite let out all the line yet for? Just curious, but it's awesome you got like a full topwater trolling strike on video like that.
            Snook in the mangroves. One of the best eats there is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            2015 Hobie Outback
            2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
              Very nice...as you show in the video there is a slight difference landing big fish with convention vs. spinning tackle...I back the drag off my Revo low profile casting reels and open the bail on my spinning reels when I put them in the rod holders...and you can never say you have a snakehead caught until you actually put it in the cooler on ice...they are escape artists!
              I've had a 32"+ SH pop a metal stringer, you're absolutely correct, "its not dead until its filet'd"
              Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Hey Pat, that was actually a striper hitting a whopper plopper....about the only topwater trolling lure there is!
                John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
                Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
                2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

One thing I think needs to be mentioned is the importance on proper reel drag and position of the kayak while fighting the fish. I had the good (but potentially dangerous) fortune of hooking up with two 40+ inch bulls at the same time this pass spring. The reel drag needs to be on the light side for a couple of reasons. First, if the fish makes a run under the yak and you have too much drag cranked you WILL turtle. Second, in my double hook up case, I do grab the rod that is screaming drag the loudest and try and control that fish. The second rod is in it’s holder with the light drag keeping fish hooked but not losing too much line. I am on the rudder and pedals of my Revo to run down the fish and to keep the fight out to the front of the kayak. The whole time trying to avoid letting the fish circle around the stern or under the boat. I lucked out with fish # 1 and was able to keep it from tangling up the line of fish # 2. The Boga grip made for an easy slide into my lap and into the well between my legs. I then picked up the second rod and surprising fish# 2 was close. It had been just following along. I made a quick release of her, and put fish #1 on the Boga with a slow peddle for about 30 second before she was ready to rejoin the school.

Comment

Originally posted by jhoss View Post
                    .....The one thing I didn't see mention of was the leg lift. I don't use it as much in the Hobie as I did when paddling but it does help stabilize you a bit IMO, so I thought I'd mention that too. Also check out Kayak kevins videos on this technique as he is really the originator.
                    That is all I ever use. Works great. A super stable and effective method in my opinion. I never felt even close to loosing center of gravity with it while landing big fish. Although I imagine the leg sweep technique probably doesn't work on most hobies or any other kayak where you have fish finders, rod holders etc. mounted to the gunwales forward of the seat. Both gunwales of my kayak are clean and free of obstructions so I can land a big fish on either side using the leg sweep. And unlike bogas or nets that can get left in the car or tangle up in other equipment, my legs are always right there ready to go

However, I AM getting a pair of those cheap, plastic lip grippers for snakeheads this year. Leg sweeping them into the kayak works fine, but it's the part of holding onto the slimy things while I try to stash them away is the hard part! Far and away the hardest fish to keep in the kayak.
                    Brian

Comment

Getting tangled with braid is also a nightmare to me. I have a dive knife attached to the front of my PFD. I reach down with my right hand and I can squeeze the knife handle for a quick release. thankfully i have never turtled or needed the knife for an emergency.

I also have a set of diagonal cutters in my safety box up in the front hatch. I had to use that once when I was landing a striper and it shook.... and the rapala i was trolling caught my finger. for me, it is easier to pull the barbed hook all the way through and then cut off the barb. Ouuch.

landing fish varies on the teeth of the species. bass (stripers and freshwater) is easy since you can put your thumb in their mouth. Or the flip and scoop into the well of the boat. I do use a net for flounder (jersery shore) because their teeth are insanely sharp;other wise it is a pain to carry.

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
                        That is all I ever use. Works great. A super stable and effective method in my opinion. I never felt even close to loosing center of gravity with it while landing big fish. Although I imagine the leg sweep technique probably doesn't work on most hobies or any other kayak where you have fish finders, rod holders etc. mounted to the gunwales forward of the seat. Both gunwales of my kayak are clean and free of obstructions so I can land a big fish on either side using the leg sweep. And unlike bogas or nets that can get left in the car or tangle up in other equipment, my legs are always right there ready to go

However, I AM getting a pair of those cheap, plastic lip grippers for snakeheads this year. Leg sweeping them into the kayak works fine, but it's the part of holding onto the slimy things while I try to stash them away is the hard part! Far and away the hardest fish to keep in the kayak.
                        The very reason I have the metal boga grip is a few years ago an oversized (very big) Northern Snakehead at Mattawoman Creek broke the lower jaw of my plastic fish grips in a violent twisting, jumping motion...only fish to ever do that...they are an amazing escape artist...
                        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                          The very reason I have the metal boga grip is a few years ago an oversized (very big) Northern Snakehead at Mattawoman Creek broke the lower jaw of my plastic fish grips in a violent twisting, jumping motion...only fish to ever do that...they are an amazing escape artist...
                          I actually had a big 40 inch blue cat that I caught in the Potomac that also did a violent twist to my surprise and broke the lower jaw of my plastic fish grips too. That was the only time that I had a fish grip fail.
                          MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
                          2016 Hobie Outback LE
                          Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
                          https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

i've been looking at the T-Handle boga grip style, but you're right with the SH, i'm not sure I want my knuckles that close to their 'chompers' - However I think the T-Style grip is way more suited
                            to my style of fishing instead of the standard where both pointer and middle finger are required to get the grips open.

Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Working...
                            X