New PB Pickerel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New PB Pickerel

Fished Unicorn Lake this afternoon and set the hook on this beauty. I had my drag set pretty tight but this one managed to pull some off. Pretty good fight on 8lb braid. Switched off fishing a husky jerk and a Zoom fluke. When I hooked up to my first fish 2 minutes after putting the lure out trolling I had high hopes for the day and was not disappointed.

After this guy I decided to put away the spin gear and grab out the fly rod in honor of Lefty. Casting in my new yak isn't hard, but stripping in a streamer is a little tough. Got 3 hits and managed to catch 1

Got my fishing fix so I can be social and go day drinking with friends for St. Patty's!

IMG_1722.jpg

That's a really nice pickerel. Great catch! We must have almost crossed paths- I fished Unicorn from 7-11 this morning and got into 4 pickerel on a Shadow Rap, although none that big! There's not much better way to shatter the picturesque calm of a small lake than with a pickerel explosion. Thanks for sharing
    Matt
    Instagram: @sunrisekayakfishing
    2019 Vibe Sea Ghost 130- "The Blurple Nurple"
    10' Pelican Angler 100- "The Starter Kit"

Comment

Nice pickerel. Congratulations on a personal best.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by YakMan1731 View Post
        That's a really nice pickerel. Great catch! We must have almost crossed paths- I fished Unicorn from 7-11 this morning and got into 4 pickerel on a Shadow Rap, although none that big! There's not much better way to shatter the picturesque calm of a small lake than with a pickerel explosion. Thanks for sharing
        I got in about 11:50. I talked to a yak fisherman who was just taking out. Was that you? I've found the fish were more active during the warmer part of the day, so I went later in the day.

Comment

Originally posted by BarefootPetr View Post
          I got in about 11:50. I talked to a yak fisherman who was just taking out. Was that you? I've found the fish were more active during the warmer part of the day, so I went later in the day.
          That wasn't me but I chatted with that guy too. I told him about Snaggedline becuase he wasn't familiar- maybe he'll join us one day haha He said he was going for another half hour or so when I left. I headed to Tuckahoe and ended up getting a 2lb largemouth which was a fun surprise. I think you're right about the warmth, I casted at the shore for an hour or so but didn't get anything until I started fishing the open water just out front to the right of the launch. I got 2 there and then another two in a 4' section behind the furthest island. They definitely picked up when the sun was out. I'd never been to Unicorn before, nice place! Congrats again on the PB!
          Matt
          Instagram: @sunrisekayakfishing
          2019 Vibe Sea Ghost 130- "The Blurple Nurple"
          10' Pelican Angler 100- "The Starter Kit"

Comment

Wow!

That's a beauty pickerel. Congratulations.

I fished Unicorn last Saturday and caught a couple of little picks on the fly and one on a weedless soft plastic.

But none were close to yours in size. My largest was only 17 inches.

P1030478 (2).jpg C.jpg

I didn't stay long. The wind was pretty strong and cut off access to much of the lake.

And yes, the pickerel bite improves later in the day as the water warms. I've fished Unicorn a couple of times this year and that has been the case. There's no need for an early morning pond outing, especially in these temps.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Congratulations on a beautiful fish.
              Mike
              Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Thats an awesome fish! My PB Pickeril is also from Unicorn!
                Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Wow! That’s awesome!!! Congrats!!!

Comment

If that thing was any bigger it would a legless alligator.

Nice fish!

Comment

Working...
                    X