Net or no net??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Net or no net??

Just curious, and always looking to spend more money on fishing stuff i don't need,
    how many people have a net as standard equipment when fishing?

When fluke fishing, I potentially would bring a net (but I don't), but any other time, I've got to imagine it is backcast lure magnet.
    Jay

10' Green Slayer
    13’ Red Slayer

I use the everlast g2 floating net, it was only $20 shipped I think, and I love it. It's big enough to handle most fish up to about 30", though the handle is a little short, but that's fine, even ideal, for a kayak. It's got the rubber coated mesh, and the only time I've actually ripped it is when I used it to pull a hook out of a 3.5 ft wide CNR. Overall it's extremely strong.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/for...ing-wading-net

Comment

I only use a net for three species. Speckled Trout (because of their incredibly soft mouth), snakeheads (because they go absolutely crazy when they get into the kayak), and flounder (reference SH reason). Stripers can be easily "leadered" into the kayak IMO and a net just becomes an extra piece of gear that gets in the way.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
      Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
      2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

I only use a net when snakehead fishing. I don't have any flounder experience though. So if they go crazy at the kayak, then a net would be helpful.

Comment

I rarely ever carry a net- getting more minimalistic every year...metal Boga grip that I will use occasional...mostly use the hand under the belly scoop method- especially with big speckled trout and just grab stripers by the mouth...nets are great if you are on a boat with lots of storage room, but space on a kayak is prioritized to the max...and those folding, pop open things are not for me...
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Check out this recent post http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...h-from-a-kayak.

Another point to consider is whether you plan to keep the fish for the table. If you are catching a species that you plan to release or an undersized fish of an edible species, the net is not needed and may cause some stress to the fish.

Like Ron, I am a minimalist and do not carry a net and have not done so in many years.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Like yakscientist, I also use the floating Everlast G2 net, and I love it. I only use it when I plan on possibly bringing fish home with me. Otherwise, I just use a boga grip on bigger fish and handle everything else by hand. I consider myself a minimalist as well, and since I only bring 2-3 rods and 2-3 tackle trays with me at a time, I always have space for the net when I need it.
              Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

I do not use a net.

If I did it would have rubber mesh to spare the protective slime on fish.

And if I caught more of the "net-worthy" species mentioned here I might consider it.

Flounder -- I've caught only one in my kayak -- on a fly surprisingly. It was just a little guy and I had no trouble removing the fly.

Snakehead -- I've caught only one and that was with Indian Head Charters in Mattawoman. I never touched it. The guide took care of that. Given the size of the fish its ample teeth I was more than happy to allow him the honors. I've never targeted them from kayak. But given they are "debuting" in more of our waters, I may encounter one as a by-catch. I'll deal with if it happens.

Specks -- I've caught a bunch of them from a kayak. I've never had an issue getting them in the boat. The smaller ones I grab behind their heads. The larger ones taste my fish grips.

Stripers, as we've discussed are relatively easy to land. As are LM and SM bass. You can lip them.

Picks can be a challenge because of their large mouth and sharp teeth. I treat them like specks. I grab the smaller ones and use fish grips on the larger ones.

In FL I've caught a variety of species in a kayak on guided outings. If my catch looks particularly nasty, like a gaff-topsail catfish, I keep it in the water and paddle to the guide for help. Discretion is the better part of valor as the saying goes.

But, there have been times when I've wished I had a net for smaller catches like bluegills and white perch. Both flare their dorsal fins. They can do more damage to your hands if you're not careful than larger fish.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I have a net that I carry maybe 50% of the time and use it 20% of the time. It has a rubber mesh and I added a pool noodle to help it float if it goes overboard. The main species that I like to use a net on is flounder, speckle trout, and when I catch one, a snakehead. I may use a net for even a big perch since many times that I had that one nice citation white perch that I wanted to boat, only to have it drop off the hook when I was boating it and I would kick myself for not having the net or using it. That would be the only small species that I could consider using a net when I am looking for that citation white perch. As mentioned before, speckle trout has a soft lip, so a net is a good idea when you are targeting them. I always would carry a net when I am looking for flounder. Mostly, since in my case I do not get out to catch flounder that often so, I would hate to loose one because I did not have net to land it (or increase my odds of it not getting away when it is near the boat).

There is one other occasion that I would tend to use a net.....to catch crabs on a trotline...LOL.
                  MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
                  2016 Hobie Outback LE
                  Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
                  https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

I haven't fished for some of the other species people are mentioning, but I try to always use my net for keeper flounder.

Here's recent vid of me losing one because I forgot to pack my net.
                    https://youtu.be/OxYAKX23uHM?t=139

Comment

Originally posted by kuljc View Post
                      I haven't fished for some of the other species people are mentioning, but I try to always use my net for keeper flounder.

Here's recent vid of me losing one because I forgot to pack my net.
                      https://youtu.be/OxYAKX23uHM?t=139
                      I hear you on that. I lost a flounder because I did not have the net with me. I forgot it in my vehicle....what good is it going to do me there.
                      MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
                      2016 Hobie Outback LE
                      Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
                      https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

For me, 90 percent of the time its a no....I bring a net for tournament fishing and snakehead. Otherwise the hassle of extra gear on the crowded yak doesn't outweigh the occasional lost fish.
                        John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
                        Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
                        2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by moc View Post
                          I hear you on that. I lost a flounder because I did not have the net with me. I forgot it in my vehicle....what good is it going to do me there.
                          I once lost a flounder out of an Igloo cooler....that had the lid shut! The darn thing flopped, the lid flew open, and over the side of the yak he went. Lol

Hobie Fishing Team Member
                          Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                          2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Like Doug above, I use the yakattack leverage net. I picked mine up used, works great on larger fish, I use it regularly for SH. Folds to half the size and stows nicely during travel. Tuck it right behind my PA Vantage seat.

https://www.yakattack.us/leverage-la...-20-x-21-hoop/
                            Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Working...
                            X