Severn River - Kayak Launch Points?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severn River - Kayak Launch Points?

Where do you all launch from to get on the Severn River? I will be transporting via the bed of my truck , no trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally posted by Jesserkirk View Post
    Where do you all launch from to get on the Severn River? I will be transporting via the bed of my truck , no trailer.

Jonas Green or the Tucker Street launch on Weems Creek.

Good luck.
    Jim

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Jim McFalls
    MSG US Army Retired
    US Army Field Band Jazz Ambassadors Class of 1998

2018 Hobie Revo 13 - Sea Grass
    2015 Elie Coast 120XE Angler - Yellow/White
    2015 Pelican Unison 136t Tandem - Orange/White
    Instagram - @jmcfalls1960
    YouTube - Jimbo the Fishin' Musician

Comment

The launch at Jonas Green:

P1010058.jpg P1010060.jpg P1010059.jpg

You may need a cart to get your kayak from the parking area to the beach.

At Tucker Street, there is a gravel ramp into Weems Creek:

B.jpg

I launch directly from my vehicle there. It is a residential area. Please be mindful of posted parking regulations.

As Jim said, good luck. Even if the fish are not biting, both sites offer a scenic paddle/pedal.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

That was fast, thanks guys for the quick responses.

Comment

You can also launch at Truxtun Park into Spa Creek or at a tiny cartop boat launch at the Back Creek Nature Park into Back Creek.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
            You can also launch at Truxtun Park into Spa Creek or at a tiny cartop boat launch at the Back Creek Nature Park into Back Creek.
            He John, was Truxtun Park the place the you introduced me to a long time ago, that went through a marina, and ended up near the mouth of the Severn? My memory fails me.
            MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
            2016 Hobie Outback LE
            Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
            https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

Originally posted by moc View Post
              He John, was Truxtun Park the place the you introduced me to a long time ago, that went through a marina, and ended up near the mouth of the Severn? My memory fails me.

I am pretty sure we launched at the Back Creek Nature Park. At that time it was called something like the Ellen Moyer Water Park. It is a tiny area immediately past Bert Jabin's Yacht yard. Truxtun Park is a much larger park with two paved boat ramps, hiking trails, tennis, and other things.

In addition there are several streets in Annapolis and Eastport that dead end at the water. There may be places to launch off of sand there. The biggest problem is finding a parking spot in those residential neighborhoods.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Smith's Marina will also let you launch, but charges a small fee.
                Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                  The launch at Jonas Green:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23110[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]23111[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]23112[/ATTACH]

You may need a cart to get your kayak from the parking area to the beach.

At Tucker Street, there is a gravel ramp into Weems Creek:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23113[/ATTACH]

I launch directly from my vehicle there. It is a residential area. Please be mindful of posted parking regulations.

As Jim said, good luck. Even if the fish are not biting, both sites offer a scenic paddle/pedal.
                  Is the tucker street launch a private launch, or is it completely open to the public? And if it's public, I assume as long as there are parking spaces, it's ok to launch there? Might have to try it out this weekend (assuming it or Jonas are plowed)

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
                    Is the tucker street launch a private launch, or is it completely open to the public? And if it's public, I assume as long as there are parking spaces, it's ok to launch there? Might have to try it out this weekend (assuming it or Jonas are plowed)
                    It's public, as far as I am aware, and I use it frequently. Unload right at the ramp, and park legally on the street. It's an easy load in/out.

Jim McFalls
                    MSG US Army Retired

Comment

The Tucker Street Ramp is administered by the city of Annapolis and as this link indicates it is supposed to be for Annapolis residents only.

http://webapps02.dnr.state.md.us/MDP...?PKintKeyID=49

However, no one has ever checked my residency status there.

There is street parking only and only on one side of the street at that. Boat trailers are supposed to have an Annapolis City Parking Permit.

I mentioned adhering to parking signs in my original post because it is a residential area. It's important for those of us who are kayaking guests to the neighborhood to be respectful of driveways and the property of residents along the street. I believe that also includes being quiet during early morning launches, leaving no trash behind, etc.
                      Mark
                      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                        The Tucker Street Ramp is administered by the city of Annapolis and as this link indicates it is supposed to be for Annapolis residents only.

http://webapps02.dnr.state.md.us/MDP...?PKintKeyID=49

However, no one has ever checked my residency status there.

There is street parking only and only on one side of the street at that. Boat trailers are supposed to have an Annapolis City Parking Permit.

I mentioned adhering to parking signs in my original post because it is a residential area. It's important for those of us who are kayaking guests to the neighborhood to be respectful of driveways and the property of residents along the street. I believe that also includes being quiet during early morning launches, leaving no trash behind, etc.
                        Mark! Well done!

J

Jim McFalls
                        MSG US Army Retired

Comment

For you guys who use Truxton, is it a safe place to leave your car for long? I have a Toneau cover on my truck and really wouldn't want to see it shredded when I back.
                          Last edited by john from md; 03-24-2018, 07:31 PM. Reason: spelling
                          John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
                          MK Endura Max 55 backup power
                          Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Originally posted by john from md View Post
                            For you guys who use Truxton, is it a safe place to leave your car for long? I have a Toneau cover on my truck and really wouldn't want to see it shredded when I back.
                            I've never had any trouble there. The Harbormaster Office is in the parking lot, and that might add a modicum of added security. I left my car there once for 6 hours, and no issues. Good luck!

Jim McFalls
                            MSG US Army Retired

Comment

Thanks for the help everyone, I'll be putting in at Jonas Park around 10am tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                              X