No announcement yet.

Shad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hit the Occoquan River today instead of the Potomac. Was marking lots of fish, but only came away with 2 small largemouth. Didn’t get skunked and didn’t get dunked. That’s what counts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Greg

Hobie i14T (RIP, Screw you mouse!)
    2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Hit Susquehanna today, slow fishing but did pick up 2 shad and a smallie

Comment

I went for a little over an hour today and caught 4 good size shad. Again, they were all in one hot streak of 15minutes. River was a tad high with only one yak out there, who was hugging the bank. On a positive note, a ton more life today, ospreys where swooping in catching fish, a few comarants here and there, and a bunch of the mysterious swirl/splashes.
        Last edited by summersoff; 04-01-2018, 08:05 PM.
        Jay

10' Green Slayer
        13’ Red Slayer

Comment

I skipped fletchers for the occoquan instead. Slooooowww morning with only one shad, but I moved well below the other boats and found the fish. I was soon surrounded, but it didn't matter as there were plenty of shad to go around.
          2017 Jackson Kayak Mayfly

Instagram: @thegreggoutdoors

Gregg

Comment

What soft plastic is that jig tipped with ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hey Jesse,

Who are you asking? I'm replying since I'm the only one that posted a photo.
              Greg

Hobie i14T (RIP, Screw you mouse!)
              2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Chillg123 View Post
                Hit the Occoquan River today instead of the Potomac. Was marking lots of fish, but only came away with 2 small largemouth. Didn’t get skunked and didn’t get dunked. That’s what counts.
                You made the right call. I went to Fletcher's on Saturday and not very many shad being caught at all. Currents were crazy to the point you could barely paddle straight in sections. Anchor got stuck, river spun me 90° to the current despite having the anchor trolley all the way to the bow. Boat rolled about 45° and I have no idea how we didn't flip. Managed to cut the anchor line and escape a pretty nasty situation. Learned my lesson. My kid got a lesson in colorful language as well.

I usually like to head up to Chain Bridge and work my way down, but with the currents, we just headed back to Fletcher's and soaked some bait for catfish. Came away with 3 blues and 2 channel in the 20-30" range. Made for a good dinner. Makes up for the lost anchor and net!

IMG_5009.jpgIMG_5034.jpg

I'll most likely be heading out again this Friday. Not sure if I'm going to hit Fletcher's again, or Mattawoman.
                "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
                Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

Wow, that sounds scary. Happy you didn't flip! I tied up a special anchor for fletchers that was inspired by their rowboats. I grabbed a big rock in the yard and tied it on haha.

Glad you at least got into a few cats. Also glad you kept them. There are so many, any bit counts towards managing the fishery better!

Gregg

Comment

Originally posted by Cluelessandfly View Post
                    I tied up a special anchor for fletchers that was inspired by their rowboats. I grabbed a big rock in the yard and tied it on haha.
                    I keep a 50' hank of 550 in my seat back pouch just in case. That and a rock become our anchor for the rest of the day.
                    "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
                    Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

nothing more primal than throwing a large rock anchor haha

Gregg

Comment

A bunch of my students went yesterday and crushed them, they said they saw a few kayaks out there.
                        Jay

10' Green Slayer
                        13’ Red Slayer

Comment

When the current is moving at fletchers, anchoring up in the kayak can be tricky/dangerous. I had a similar incident a couple of years ago where my anchor got stuck and turned me broadside to the current. Had to cut the rope to get free and kept from flipping. Not fun.

Comment

Working...
                          X