Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBBT kayaking

Hello all,
    I haven't been on as much as I would like or probably should. I moved up to the eastern shore less than a year ago and am just getting settled in. This season I retired my Tarpon 120 after 5 years of faithful service, mainly in the bays of NC and even took her out on the open ocean a few times. I purchased a new Jackson Cuda HD and am in the midst of rigging her with a few new features to expand my fishing endeavors.

I have had the opportunity to explore areas from Kiptopeke to Henlopen but I am really looking forward to making the trip out to the CBBT. I was hoping to make the trip with someone who knows these waters, not for fishing spots (though that's always nice), but for safety and understanding the tides and currents. I am geared and ready for this kind of trip but any advice is always welcome!

Let me know when your heading out to the CBBT I’ll join you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

5-7 knot current runs through the CBBT at peak tide...that is faster than my Hobie Outback can go with me on the peddles...get sideways up against a piling at that current could be disasterous- I was just outside looking at the onions sprouting in my garden thinking that today would be a glorious day on the water if the NNW wasn’t blowing 14 gusting to 23 and it wasn’t 36 degrees...I have fished the CBBT from a boat for nearly 20 years- terrific fishing- if you know when to go, where to fish and what bait/lures for what species of fish that are there during certain times of the year...one of my favorite tog holes where I caught my biggest tog is on the CBBT...but I have never fished it from a kayak...and I don’t think I will...too many other places for me to fish without the challenges of the current and unpredictable weather events so common with the bridge/tunnel- not knocking those who do- just not for me...
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
        5-7 knot current runs through the CBBT at peak tide...that is faster than my Hobie Outback can go with me on the peddles...get sideways up against a piling at that current could be disasterous- I was just outside looking at the onions sprouting in my garden thinking that today would be a glorious day on the water if the NNW wasn’t blowing 14 gusting to 23 and it wasn’t 36 degrees...I have fished the CBBT from a boat for nearly 20 years- terrific fishing- if you know when to go, where to fish and what bait/lures for what species of fish that are there during certain times of the year...one of my favorite tog holes where I caught my biggest tog is on the CBBT...but I have never fished it from a kayak...and I don’t think I will...too many other places for me to fish without the challenges of the current and unpredictable weather events so common with the bridge/tunnel- not knocking those who do- just not for me...
        Thanks for the honest feedback. With weather issues probably best to have a mother boat take you out to the 1st and 2nd islands unless your up for the paddle.

Comment

Last year around this time a few of us camped at Kiptopeke and tried to fish the wrecks. A. there wasn't much going on. B. There was too damn many crab pots close to the ships where there were fish making it really difficult to fish and not get hung up. Then we went and tried Oyster bay, that turned out to be an adventure, one Helluva current runs through there. We didn't try the CBBT due to currents and conditions but wound up successfully fishing Rudee and trying Lynnhaven. At the end of this month into the first week in May a few of us are staying at First Landing to cut back on paying the multiple tolls and fishing back at Rudee and surrounding areas.

Comment

Where does one find those special wreck/rock anchors that kayak kevin and others use in their CBBT videos? They look like large lead sinkers with 4-5 wire spider legs coming out of them, that you bend into a hook shape, but can be pulled straight so you can get them back out of the rocks.

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
              Where does one find those special wreck/rock anchors that kayak kevin and others use in their CBBT videos? They look like large lead sinkers with 4-5 wire spider legs coming out of them, that you bend into a hook shape, but can be pulled straight so you can get them back out of the rocks.
              Oceans East 2 has them. You can also make them by filling a piece of pipe with concrete. Use thin rebar or a HD clothes hanger as the legs. You can easily make a dozen of those for the price of one at OE 2.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
              Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
              2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Rudy View Post
                Thanks for the honest feedback. With weather issues probably best to have a mother boat take you out to the 1st and 2nd islands unless your up for the paddle.

The CBBT can certainly be dangerous at times, but I’d encourage you to not limit yourself too much with worst case scenario thinking. The current is not always 5-6kts. Mothershipping to the first is not necessary also. Nor is going too the way to the 1st island. Great fishing can be had all along the CBBT span, as it is all good structure.

Pairing up with someone who is experienced with the area will allow you to learn where and when to fish certain areas. It’s a relatively safe fishery so long as you have a partner, know your physical capabilities, and learn the factors such as wind direction, current speed, and tide that impact the area you wish to fish.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
                Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

thanks all for the input. I will keep everything in mind and continue my research before I go. And not alone.. I know someone that fishing the cbbt often in his jetski..as others probably do too. looking forward to it. and Oldbay, if you all don't mind some company, wouldn't mind meeting up with you all for a day.

Comment

A couple of us will be down there staying at First Landing from April 30 leaving May 6. Not sure if we're fishing CBBT or not yet but we will Rudee and Lynnhaven for sure. I have no problem with your meeting up. PM me your info and we'll keep in touch.

Comment

I am likely fishing down around rudee this weekend, and weather/wind permitting may try out the CBBT on Sunday morning.

Comment

I would love to get down there, but it's a 4-hr + drive.

Where are you located?
                        Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

It's a long drive for me as well...I'm out in the mountains (a little west of Charlottesville). Going to fish both Sat and Sun.

Comment

Working...
                          X