Shad Run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shad Run

Temps are looking promising to go for some shad and cats at fletcher’s boat house this weekend. Anyone interested in joining? They aren’t renting boats yet so it should be all clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Greg

Hobie i14T (RIP, Screw you mouse!)
    2015 Hobie Outback

I'm seriously thinking about it. It'll be the first time in 40 years that I'd miss the traditional 'opening day' of MD trout season, but the past 4 or 5 years most of my local stomping grounds have been poached to unfishable levels. Prior to that I used to be able to limit out Saturday and Sunday for at least a couple weeks. Now I'm lucky if me and my son can catch a limit between us.

Anyway, enough ranting. What time were you planning on heading out?
    "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
    Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

I might join, been thinking about trying this for a few years now.

2015 Hobie Outback
      2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Shad Run

I’m so used to trying to get out there at daybreak for most fishing situations, but with the cold weather, I’m thinking that maybe mid morning might be best to let the temps warm the water a little bit. Hopefully this rain runoff will not have a major effect by then. It looks like we’re going to have about 2 1/2 days of temps near 65, so I’m thinking that it should be productive. If the shad aren’t in there heavy yet I’ll bring some circle Hooks and cut bait for blue cats. I shore fished at 4 mile run last Saturday and saw a few shad, but they weren’t paying any attention to any of my darts or trout magnet, so maybe the warmer temperatures will wake them up. I’m up for whatever you guys think, as this will be my first kayak outing this year and I want to definitely go out with some other people for the maiden voyage. I’m going to work on installing my anchor trolley either tomorrow night or Friday night, because I’m thinking that the river current will be significant with this recent rain and last weeks snow.

Greg

2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

I'm planning on being there. Looks like we aren't getting as much rain today as originally predicted (fingers crossed!). Hydrologic prediction looks good.
          Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

Originally posted by nhunter344 View Post
            I'm planning on being there. Looks like we aren't getting as much rain today as originally predicted (fingers crossed!). Hydrologic prediction looks good.
            I’m gonna do my best to be in the lot by 630 since I can only stay until around 11. I’ll be in a blue Jeep Cherokee with a hobie outback. Probably gonna stop in at the shop to grab some shad darts. What time are you thinking?

Greg

2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

I probably wont be there until ~9:00. I might be able to get there sooner but cant guarantee it.
              Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

Originally posted by nhunter344 View Post
                I probably wont be there until ~9:00. I might be able to get there sooner but cant guarantee it.
                Sounds good. See you there. I called the boathouse and it sounds like they have started renting. Rentals start at 6. We’ll have some company. But kayaks are cooler.

Greg

2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

The rentals started today, but Alex Binsted mentioned they may not rent through the weekend due to the gauge approaching and likely surpassing 5 ft
                  2017 Jackson Kayak Mayfly

Instagram: @thegreggoutdoors

Gregg

Comment

Just got off the water there, caught a few Shad, they all aren’t here yet. Also, we struck out on Rockfish

Comment

Originally posted by Jesserkirk View Post
                      Just got off the water there, caught a few Shad, they all aren’t here yet. Also, we struck out on Rockfish

Hmm. Wondering if it may be a better idea to attempt the Occoquan for some crappie then

Greg

2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

I’ve heard occoquan is better for Shad right now

Comment

Hmm. Might need to change destinations. That’s closer to me and there is a chance For keepers of other species.

Greg

2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

OK. Sorry for the late notice, but I’ve made a change of plans due to reports that shad are few and far between on the Potomac right now. I’m going to opt for going out of Occoquan Regional park to try for some crappie near the 95 bridge pilings. Reports have been great and my favorite local crappie youtuber has been killing it there this week. Still gonna bring along some shad darts, but I’m hoping to have an Easter weekend fish fry with these crappie.

Greg

2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                            X