Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any place else to stay around Mattawoman?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any place else to stay around Mattawoman?

The lady wants to take a trip across in mid April, 19-22 specifically, Smallwood is out of tent sites for the 20th though. Is there ANYTHING else in that general vicinity anyone can recommend? We'll be hauling two yaks on a trailer. Checked airbnb and not seeing anything.
    2016 NuCanoe Pursuit 13.5
    2015 F&S Shadowcaster 12
    2008 Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT 12
    2011 Native Ultimate 14.5

I don't know the area well for overnight (crime?) but this is the only place that came up via TriVaGo:

Super 8 Indian Head MD, Waldorf
    2-star
    4696 Indian Head Hwy, Waldorf, MD, 20640, United States of America

Goodluck with the search...
    Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Lots of motels in Waldorf (about 7 -8 miles from Slavins Launch) a couple in Indian Head and more in La Plata, again about 7 or so miles away...
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Thanks. I see the hotels---my question is, would you trust your kayaks on a trailer overnight at those places? I boa lock them but...still. At a kbf event here last year one dude had his boats stolen right out of his truck.
        2015 F&S Shadowcaster 12

Comment

I have never stayed at any of these places, but looking at the map, this little cluster of hotels looks reasonable, with two hotels facing each other it's not like your trailer will be in the dark behind a building.
          Capture.jpg

You could also try calling the manager and explaining you situation, they might let you leave the trailer somewhere in sight of the lobby and maybe even your room.

Also, it's a little further south, but it might also be worth calling Goose Bay Marina on Goose Creek to see what they will charge you to lock your trailer in their yard overnight.
          Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
          Lime Slayer 10

Comment

When I stay overnight in motels, I chain and lock my Outback through the Mirage drive opening to the tailgate mount inside the bed of my pickup truck and take all the accessories inside my hotel room with me, Mirage Drive, seat, paddles, rods reels and tackle...like the writing on a dollar bill says...in God we trust...all others require a security deposit...and I back my truck up with the kayak facing in to the room as close to my room as possible...nothing can totally prevent a thief from stealing if they have the right equipment to defeat your chain/cable locking system, but don’t make it easy for them...
            Last edited by ronaultmtd; 03-30-2018, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Thanks. I do something similar, I run the boa through the scuppers of one boat and the bow handle of the other (it's part of the boat, not possible to remove) and then wind it through the frame with a big combination hasp. No truck here though, unfortunately (yet!) so we're on a trailer, backing it in isn't really possible but I do like the idea of requesting a floor-level room and parking it right out front. Calling the manager is a good idea too. That isn't exactly a high crime area, but I don't need to be giving anyone any ideas.
              2015 F&S Shadowcaster 12

Comment

Stay in La Plata, NOT Waldorf (I live in Waldorf). It's not too far to either Slavin or Smallwood.

Comment

Im generally familiar with la Plata but not really with Waldorf. We've made about 12 trips over that way in recent years. Thanks for the input!
                  2015 F&S Shadowcaster 12

Comment

Atlantic Kayak has a storage facility right at Slavin's launch. I know theyre a kayak/canoe rental place, but it might be worth a call to see if they would be willing to store your boats overnight for a small fee. Free is good, but not having to worry about your boats getting stolen is even better.

Just an idea, I have no idea if its even feasible.

"Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
                    Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

^ Thats a really good point, although i'm not sure what their insurance policy looks like. If you pay to stay at a hotel, one would think they'd have some liability of items are stolen from their own parking lot, but i'm no lawyer.
                      Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

People fishing in the bass tournaments park their 40+K bass boats at that Super 8 during all the summer tournaments. I am guessing they have decent security if those guys trust them.
                        Green Old Town Loon 111
                        Vibe Sea Ghost 110 - TeamGreen

Comment

Originally posted by mepps3 View Post
                          People fishing in the bass tournaments park their 40+K bass boats at that Super 8 during all the summer tournaments. I am guessing they have decent security if those guys trust them.
                          Or they rent a house, and act a fool....

Comment

Waldorf is awful these days, I would stay in La Plata which is a much safer bet. Don't stay anywhere on MD 210 or MD 5 southern PG county is the armpit of the state. La Plata is probably the safest close bet.

Comment

Unsafe? Like SE? I live in Waldorf- have for over 20 years....no more crime here than any where else...are there slums like DC? No, but there are old neighborhoods where low income housing has attracted low income families struggling to get by- just like every other city in America- one thing anyone who knows southern Maryland can tell you-if you plan on doing something stupid- don’t do it in Charles County...you don’t mess around with Charles County Sherriff’s Department- you will get locked up quicker here than in Montgomery County...

Comment

Working...
                              X