Splash!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splash!!!

Just a reminder to you guys about cold water kayak fishing. Yesterday I ended up in the water (Occoquan River). It was 45 degrees too! The good news is that I was prepared and I had on my breathable waders, a waterproof wading jacket, and I was wearing my PFD. I was able to self-rescue once I got out of the white water. This was my first time coming out of my kayak.

It happened because of the way some current hit me unexpectedly while I was paddling up a riffle. It pushed me up on a rock and then my kayaked leaned hard to the right. I pushed off of the rock and when I did I went too far over to the left since I no longer needed to counter the lean to the right. I knew that I was going in at that point so I grabbed the side handle and just slid over into the drink. I then held on to the kayak until I was out of the whitewater.

Self rescue wasn't that bad because the my kayak is pretty stable. I was able to get back on her by grabbing the handle on the opposite side of the kayak and pull myself up.

I am so glad that I was dressed correctly and wearing a PFD that fit and was correctly worn. In cold water these things are very important and even if it is 80 degrees outside, when the water is cold take all of the precautions.

The last bit of good news is that everything was secured properly so I didn't loose any equipment. I would say that I was pretty lucky. I was pretty embarrassed for going out of the kayak but, I guess like everything else, stuff happens!

I did catch 1 shad on my FlyRod. It was a Hickory Shad. It is still a bit early and the water is still a little cool (45 degrees).
    Attached Files
    Last edited by HeaveToo; 03-30-2018, 02:40 PM. Reason: Add Picture

Glad you are ok.
    -manny

Hobie Outback
    Wilderness Systems 130T
    Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Yes, good to hear your were prepared for the worst! Bonus points for not loosing gear I'm so used to wearing my pfd now, that I rarely ever don't have it on and buckled up. Thanks for reminding us all of why to wear them.

P.S. Looks like you have a gizzard shad too, not a hickory.
      Brian

Comment

I concur, that is indeed a gizzard shad
        Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Sorry to hear you hit the drink. Glad all is good and you were properly prepared. I tried the next morning up the back of the river. In the lower water, I have no problem paddling up into the rocks, but I took one go at it this time, and decided to stick with the flat, moving water instead. We will see if the striper entice me to try it again in a month or so...

Happy to report after a slow morning, the hickories turned on. some really fat fish. Probably managed 40 or so in a few hours. I was the only fly rodder out there and it may be my bias, but I think I was doing better than the darts. A 3 man boat came along with spoons and they also cleaned up. We had a great time!Screen Shot 2018-04-02 at 11.07.48 AM.jpg
          2017 Jackson Kayak Mayfly

Instagram: @thegreggoutdoors

Gregg

Comment

Working...
          X