Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kill Devil Hills (NC) in Late July/Early August

Hello,

I'm going to be in Kill Devil Hills for a week at the end of July/early August.

I'll be with my family on vacation, but I'm bringing my kayak, and planning to do some exploring/fishing in the sound. I'm hoping to get into some Reds or Trout, but will take whatever is willing to play. If anyone can provide any guidance on places (like general areas - not asking for anyone's honey holes) or flies, I would be very grateful. On the other hand, would I love some company, if anyone is interested.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Originally posted by dfulton View Post
    Hello,

I'm going to be in Kill Devil Hills for a week at the end of July/early August.

I'll be with my family on vacation, but I'm bringing my kayak, and planning to do some exploring/fishing in the sound. I'm hoping to get into some Reds or Trout, but will take whatever is willing to play. If anyone can provide any guidance on places (like general areas - not asking for anyone's honey holes) or flies, I would be very grateful. On the other hand, would I love some company, if anyone is interested.

Thanks in advance.

Dave
    Dave! My wife and I are always down there at the same time and I take my yak. A couple of good places for specks and reds:
    1) Right as you start to head over the causeway, there is a small park on the left with a wooden launch. Pretty cool as long as the tide is up, challenging if it isn't. Right past Whalebone Tackle. I caught specks and a couple of chopper blues there last year. Pretty shallow throughout with plenty of grass beds for possible red lurkage.
    2) Launch at the public boat ramp in downtown Manteo. Paddle/pedal about 30 yards to the main creek, and head left at about 10:00. There was a red hole over that way that was very productive last year. I was using Gulp shrimp with chartreuse tails on 1/4 oz. red and pink jigheads.

Stop by TW's Bait and Tackle on the bypass for some great info.

Good luck! Perhaps we'll cross paths!
    J

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Jim McFalls
    MSG US Army Retired
    US Army Field Band Jazz Ambassadors Class of 1998

2018 Hobie Revo 13 - Sea Grass
    2015 Elie Coast 120XE Angler - Yellow/White
    2015 Pelican Unison 136t Tandem - Orange/White
    Instagram - @jmcfalls1960
    YouTube - Jimbo the Fishin' Musician

Comment

I'm in Southern Shores the week of July 23. I'll get my kayak out a few times and see if I can catch any bass in the canals or in Jean Guite Creek. I'll probably toss my fly rod around some too. If I feel energetic, I'll take a kayak into the surf and see if I find any blues or specks. I struggle to catch fish in the OBX so I'm still learning the ropes.

Comment

I fished from a kayak around Manteo on one of the hottest days of the year, last summer. I caught a couple small flounder, red drum, and speckled trout. Make sure to troll light jigs (1/4oz) or so with shiny paddletails, those seemed to work best for me. A popping cork rigged in front of a hook tipped with a gulp curlytail grubs/mullet in chartreuse was also effective.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Well, we're heading down Saturday morning, but things aren't looking good. The recent heavy rains have caused problems in the area, and they're calling for more rain next week. I'm still taking my kayak and fishing gear, and will post a report when I get back.

Thanks,

Dave

Comment

Working...
          X