Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is closest kayak put-in to RT-50 on South River?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is closest kayak put-in to RT-50 on South River?

I have heard from some locals that a load of catfish and a few rockfish hang at the head of the South River by Route 50. Is there a kayak put-in close to that? The only one i can think of is Pier 7 marina by the RT-2 bridge. it's a long haul from there.

Originally posted by rock'n'roll View Post
    I have heard from some locals that a load of catfish and a few rockfish hang at the head of the South River by Route 50. Is there a kayak put-in close to that? The only one i can think of is Pier 7 marina by the RT-2 bridge. it's a long haul from there.
    I’ve seen people from 450 but not sure how they’re gaining access.
    http://www.aacounty.org/services-and...op-boat-launch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The only public launches (including marina ramps that have a launch fee) I have found on the upper South River are at the Rt 2 crossing. From there it is a bit of a paddle/pedal to get to Rt 50, but it is doable. If you have a friend who lives in one of those communities upstream from Rt 2, you may be able to use their community launch point.

I have launched occasionally near the Rt 450 bridge by parking on the shoulder, lifting my kayak over the guard rail, sliding it down the slope to the small channel that leads out to the main creek. This is hard work, messy, and likely to put some scratches on your kayak. The entire area between Rt 450 and Rt 50 is extremely shallow and has thick, soft sediment. It is only navigable at average or higher water level. You need to watch the water level carefully or you can get stranded on a sucking mud flat. This is definitely not a spot for a pedal kayak due to the depth.

In my years of fishing that area (Rt 450 to half a mile below Rt 50) 1-3 times a year, I usually catch nothing. I do see a lot of carp in early to mid-May as they get together for spawning. For me that "launch point" is more about the scenery than the fishing.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
      X