Trolling Multiple Rods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trolling Multiple Rods

Question for you guys that troll multiple rods say 3 or more. How do you rig your set-up?? Do you run lighter weighted rods on the outer most rods with the heavier weights in the middle behind the yak?? Or is it vise versa?? Do you run the heavier weights further back or keep them closer to the kayak?? How about the lighter weighted rods?? I want to run more then just 2 rods and do NOT want a tangled mess.
    2017 Hobie PA14

John Veil is really good at this...but I've dabbled trolling 3 rods even in my paddle yak. I troll 1 on one side (usually a deep diving lure or the heaviest jig/plastic) and on the other I've got a heavier/deeper lure running somewhat closer (50 ft or less) from my boat, from the front rod holder. So both front rod holders are used right now. That's in front of my paddle stroke and all that, then from the rear holder behind my seat on the side with the middle depth lure, I throw a light paddletail/jig/lure way way back, and let out a little more line once I'm up to speed. So that one might be 100+ feet back. So left side I've got a deep setup on the front holder, and on the right front I've got a middle depth on the front and light/way back on the left rear holder. I've only done that a few times in light winds or when I'm going with the current/wind. Haven't done it enough to say it's substantially better than 2 rods, for me at least. Usually though when the fishings good, it's way too hectic for me to worry about more than 2 rods, sometimes I only put out one if it's really crazy.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

There is a lot that can be said about trolling for stripers from kayaks. Alan Battista wrote an entire book about it, and my book "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" has a chapter on light tackle trolling, plus additional descriptions in other sections of the book. Alan's techniques differ a bit from mine -- he has been extremely successful at catching large fish. My approach works too, but focuses more on the ways in which I like to fish (the main theme of my book). In the next few paragraphs I offer some description of how I rig up for my light tackle kayak trolling.

Equipment: I use 6' to 6'6" St Croix Premier or Avid spinning rods. During the spring when I hope to catch larger fish, I use medium and medium-heavy rods. During summer and fall, when the average sized fish is smaller, I often leave the medium-heavy rods at home and use medium and medium-light rods. I use Shimano Stradic reels in 2500 or 3000 size. I spool with 20-lb Powerpro (yellow) tied to 20-lb or 25-lb fluorcarbon leaders. I use a double-uni knot to connect line to leader and a loop knot to connect the leader to the lure.

Lures: Nearly all the lures I troll are lead heads (jigheads or bucktails) from 3/8-oz to 1-oz (occasionally a bit heavier in the spring). Regardless of the water depth, I am typically targeting fish in the top 3' to 10' of water depth. I add various types of paddletail soft plastics. These range from 3" to 5" and have different side profiles. Sometimes I use a swim shad (lure with lead weight molded into the lure) on one rod. Occasionally, I will deploy a large crankbait on one side. When I do that, I run only a single rod on that side of the kayak to avoid tangles caused by the lure moving around a lot.

Trolling Set Up: I troll 4 rods on my pedal-powered Native Slayer Propel 10 and 3 rods on my paddle-powered Native Manta Ray 11. I rig up with Scotty rod holders (2 in front of me on the gear tracks and 2 behind the seat bolted to the decking. The rod holders in the front are turned out 45 deg toward the front (the ones on the pedal kayak are set out to the side with a rod holder extender). The rod holders in the rear are turned out 45 deg toward the rear.

I do not measure line scientifically. Rather on the two front rods, I use lighter lures and make a half cast out to the side. For the rear rod holders, I use heavier lures and make a full cast out the back to deploy them.

Other Tips: When trolling, it is important to make sure your lures are clean (no grasses, leaves, or other debris) and are swimming well (make sure your plastic tail is sitting properly on the jighead. If I have not gotten any bites for a few minutes, I often reel in each line and check to make sure the lure looks right. I also start each trip with a variety of different jighead/bucktail weights and different tail colors and sizes. The fish will tell me what appeals to them that day.

Avoiding Tangles: When trolling in a pedal kayak, it is relatively easy to keep your lines from tangling if you remember to keep pedaling while fighting a fish. In a paddle kayak that is not possible. Particularly if you are heading into the wind or waves when a fish hits, you are like to be turned around or pushed backwards. This can result in tangles.

What should you do if you are trolling several lines and you get a strong fish on one line? Some Snaggedline members espouse reeling in the lines without the fish. I lost several good fish in the past that way. I prefer to leave the other lines out there and concentrate on fighting the fish while keeping a tight line. I also have repositioned the other rods during a fight. For example, if I get a strong fish on the right rear rod, and it begins swimming toward the front, I can lift the front right rod in one hand, while keeping tension on the rod with the fish in my other hand. I reposition the previous front rod in the rear rod holder, leaving the entire front sector of water clear for fighting the fish. The word description sounds complicated, but it is not too difficult after you try it a few times.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thank you John.
        2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

John at Goodhands Creek with four lines out:

P1000881 (2).jpg
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

You could also run a tandem rig off one or both sides, so you could more evenly cover the water column and have more baits in the water.

Comment

Trolling Multiple Rods

I'll occasionally run four rods, but like Pat said when the fishing is good I typically drop down to one or two since that is all that is really needed at that point. I like to see the tips of all my rods when trolling, so my setup consists of two rod holders in front of me pointed at each other, so the rods actually cross in front of me. This is helpful for multiple reasons; the rod holders support each rod when a fish strikes, and it brings the tips in closer to the boat which is needed when I use my downrigger. I run my heaviest/deepest setups in front (deep diving minnows, planers, umbrella rigs, downrigger), then behind my seat I have two rod holders pointed forward at 45 degrees for shallow water (light jigs, shallow minnows). Since my front rods are in closer to the boat, that leaves plenty of room for the back rods to overlap while still seeing the rod tips. I rarely get tangles with this setup, but when it happens it's typically one of my shallow water setups getting into the other. Rarely do my front rods get into anything. This is a fish finding setup, so once I know what depth and presentation is favorable I'll drop down to two rods in the front.

Like John said before, the key is to keep peddling after a fish strikes. You can definitely slow down a bit, just need enough movement to keep the lines tight. Good luck!
              Last edited by silasvirus82; 04-11-2018, 10:59 AM.
              2015 Hobie Outback
              2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Steve6902,

I copied and pasted one of my excerpts from another post that touched on this very same topic.

BL: I agree with everything that John Veil already mentioned, but I am one of those individuals that prefers to "clear the decks" if trolling multiple lines, this way I get rid of unnecessary lines in the water when reeling in a fish.

To yakscientist's point, I also run a tandem jighead/paddletail combo on all my lines. So in the end I have eight hooks in the water (4 rods x 2 jigheads ea.). My usual setup is a 1/4oz jighead paired with a 1/2oz jighead. Both jigheads have a 4" Z-Man paddletail on them.

Here is the excerpt:

"What I learned if you troll multiple lines:

1. After you hook a fish, contain your excitement and keep pedaling/paddling. Keep your turns to a minimum and continue straight ahead until you have completed step #2. This will keep the lines behind you and spread apart.
                *Additionally, if you are in shallow water and stop moving, your lures could hit bottom and snag - now you have one more problem to deal with.

2. Reel in the other lines. NOTE: You don't have to waste precious time stowing away the rods. Keep your lures in the water right next to the boat, just reel in enough to clear the excess line out of the way and prevent tangles. This step takes a matter of seconds; mind you, I usually troll four lines and I have never lost a fish while reeling in the other lines, but I have saved myself countless frustration.

3. Once you are down to the rod with the fish on it, you can now turn the boat in order to place the fish off your forward quarter. Having the fish off the bow makes controlling the fish easier so you don't have to fight it over your shoulder. You can also move towards or with the fish while you play it out - in the long run it's better for the fish (i.e. less of a fight) and better for the angler.

Why troll multiple lines? I have found that trolling multiple lines allows me to test various lure/color combinations at the same time. This technique quickly identifies what the fish prefer on that particular day. Once I find out what the fish want, I reduce the number of lines in the water, and I proceed with confidence knowing I have the lure/color combo the fish are looking for. If/when the bite slows down, I go back to my four line spread and repeat the investigative process."

Hope this helps.
                Last edited by baitball; 04-09-2018, 09:32 AM.
                -manny

Hobie Outback
                Wilderness Systems 130T
                Hobie Outfitter

Comment

So heavy weighted rods in the middle with the lighter weighted rods on the outside. Check!! I run tandem on my outer rods which are horizontal to the water and on each side of my seat. Usually a 1oz. with a 1/2 or 3/4oz chaser. I do want to run rods behind my seat with umbrella rigs. These I will go with a heavy inline weight on and keep them close to the kayak, say 25-40 feet. The lighter rods will be 50-75 feet. Like many after I see what they want and at what depth I will drop back to 1 or 2 rods.
                  2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Good Info here, especially with Trophy Season nearly upon us

I'm expecting some awesome trophy season yak reports!
                    Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                      The rod holders in the front are turned out 45 deg toward the front (the ones on the pedal kayak are set out to the side with a rod holder extender). The rod holders in the rear are turned out 45 deg toward the rear.
                      John, do you have any pictures of the extended rod holders on your Slayer 10? I am going to give kayak trolling a go this year but have yet to hit on a combo of parts that keeps the rods clear of my knees and feels secure. Thanks
                      Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
                      Lime Slayer 10

Comment

I think John has Scotty branded holders.

I just picked up some YakAttack Omega extended holders. They are built for a track system, but toted as "The last rod holder you'll ever buy" and after playing with one in-store at Anglers, and seeing them on two local yaks, I agreed and bought two.

I know several on this site are planning this upgrade soon as well.

Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Working...
                        X