The best value spinning reels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The best value spinning reels

I believe we are living in the heyday of value for spinning reels- Diawa, Penn, Okuma are making some of the best value spinning reels at a price point that just a few years ago was unheard of- much credit has to go to Penn...they pushed every major manufacturer to higher quality at lower prices with the Battle series then uped the ante with the Clash and Conquest II series...the gold standard for under $300 reels was the Shimano Stradic series...not any more- Diawa has really stepped up their game with the LT series of reels- from the bargain basement $49 range to the Ballistic LT at $229.00...and every major reel manufacturer has competitive price, similar-featured reels, including Quantum, Pfluegar and Okuma...it is hard to go wrong in the new model sub-$100.00 spinning reels- probably the Fuego and BG by Diawa are the best of the best in the under $100, although it would provoke an argument that Penn and Okuma reels fills that niche as well...so many really good choices at fantastic values...far superior to what was available just a few years ago- the engineering with CADCAM, CNC machining, 3D printing and computer controlled robotics is making quantum leaps in advanced manufacturing at lower costs than we ever believed possible- composite materials and advanced plastics/ceramics are changing the landscape every year...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

I agree, Ron.

Further, I would extend your argument to rods also and to all forms of fishing from spinning to fly.

When I look at the quality of tackle offerings now and compare them to what I used in the past, the improvements without corresponding increases in cost, indeed even reductions in cost in terms of real dollars, are astounding.

The exception to that would be lures, in my opinion. They seem to have increased in cost over the years well beyond inflation. True, the finishes on some of the plugs are like custom paint jobs on cars, but even Mepps Spinners are pricy and they haven't changed in 40 years. I recall buying them from Cabela's for under a buck a piece.

There may be some cost savings in making your own lures and flies. But I think the main value there is the satisfaction of doing so once you consider the inventory of materials required.

But there is no doubt that rods and reels have vastly improved in quality over time and become more affordable.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
    X