What to wear tomorrow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to wear tomorrow?

Newbie kayaker question: water temps around 46 degrees but air temps in the 80s by noon.

Dry pants and waterproof paddle boots or shorts and fishing crocs?

I can't imagine wearing a dry top in the 80s but with the water still cold not sure if I should be better off safe than sorry if I turtle.

mike
    Mike

2020 Hobie Outback - Camo

Good Question. I'll be on a 34' walkaround , so shorts and t-shirt here. I'd err on the side of caution with a yak, NO fish is worth losing your life over. Try and get out there to enjoy Saturday, Sunday/Monday is looking like 60* w/ majority chance of rain.
    Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Thanks! I'm jealous. Good luck tomorrow. I kinda like my dry pants so will stick with that. I can always remove upper clothes as the day gets warmer.

mike
      Mike

Comment

I'll wear my drysuit until I'm comfortable falling into the water. I wear mine generally towards the end of May. The Gore Tex suits are incredibly comfortable. I don't wear much but a thin layer under when it gets warm.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Kokatat Pro Staff
        Torqeedo Pro Staff
        Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
        Alan

Comment

Yesterday I wore Shorts and a Tee shirt with knee high wool socks under my Drysuit. Do yourself a favor and error on the side of caution dress for the water not the air.
          Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 04-14-2018, 11:44 AM.

Comment

The air temperature forecast is for on land too. Air temps are likely to be much cooler on the water this time of year due to cool water temps. Yesterday, when I was driving in my work truck on the mainland the truck's thermometer was reading 75*. When I crossed the bridge of Wallops Island to do a job near the ocean, the truck thermometer dropped to 61*.

Its always better to be over prepared than under!
            Brian

Comment

Thanks All - I wore dry pants/dry top but with shorts t-shirt underneath along w/dry socks. Never felt too hot until peddling back home and that was only the dry top. Must of been a lucky combo as I broke my curse at Mattawoman and landed 5 perfectly sized eating catfish and released a 36" fella I could barely get the hook out of. That place was bass boat central today in this first day of really warm weather on a weekend.
              Mike

Comment

14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
                  Nice fishing outfit Kevin.... does that suite repel water?
                  MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
                  2016 Hobie Outback LE
                  Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
                  https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

Naw, but it's ready suited for the undertaker... All he has to do is tie the tie.

Comment

Originally posted by moc View Post
                      Nice fishing outfit Kevin.... does that suite repel water?
                      The handsome keeps the water off......
                      14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                      2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Water temp is projected to be around 45 degrees this weekend, with an air temp of around 56 degrees. So make sure you dress for the water and NOT the air. There will be a lot of people out there this opening day. So stay safe and fish with a buddy and wear your PFD!!!
                        2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Working...
                        X