Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Be Safe out there!

http://www.fox5dc.com/news/local-new...ver-police-say

Apparently bass fishing was ON this past Saturday with the beautiful weather, a bass boat in Mattawoman overturned, and DNR/Charles Co PD recovered two bodies Saturday evening / Sunday morning.

PLEASE be safe out there, and take precautions you deem necessary!
    Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

I wonder what happened? Maybe hit a log or rock. Wish I was bass fishing Saturday, but this weekend looks promising.
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

I was actually thinking the same, especially if capsized...
      Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Originally posted by silasvirus82 View Post
        I wonder what happened? Maybe hit a log or rock. Wish I was bass fishing Saturday, but this weekend looks promising.
        Fishing was good- got a really nice 22 inch four pounder...and the boat was found at the mouth of the Mattawoman Creek near smallwood state park ....wide open area exposed to up to 33 mph Southerly gusting winds...we were fishing above Mattingly Park and it was plenty of wind there...glad the trees helped break it some...and Moc and I saw a loaded small 14 foot Jon boat with two guys in it as we were returning to the launch. I was thinking that it did not have much freeboard and I felt much safer in my kayak than I would in it....
        Last edited by ronaultmtd; 04-16-2018, 01:33 PM.
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I returned back to Slavins launch around 1230 saturday after running out of room on my 10' kayak for additional catfish. Forgot my stringer and of course had a day when everything went right.
          As I was pulling my kayak up the ramp and unloading everything, 2 guys pulled up with one of the nicest bass boats I'd ever seen. One of the guys looked like a former NFL player and was super nice, wanting to know all about kayak fishing and catfishing. I was worn out from the wind and he helped me load everything back up. Shortly after, they put in and headed to the right of the launch. There were lots of bass boats out but really hope it wasn't those 2 guys.
          Mike

2020 Hobie Outback - Camo

Comment

Originally posted by mjkeith13 View Post
            I returned back to Slavins launch around 1230 saturday after running out of room on my 10' kayak for additional catfish. Forgot my stringer and of course had a day when everything went right.
            As I was pulling my kayak up the ramp and unloading everything, 2 guys pulled up with one of the nicest bass boats I'd ever seen. One of the guys looked like a former NFL player and was super nice, wanting to know all about kayak fishing and catfishing. I was worn out from the wind and he helped me load everything back up. Shortly after, they put in and headed to the right of the launch. There were lots of bass boats out but really hope it wasn't those 2 guys.
            Seriously doubt it, this was a 15’ according to the article. Nice bass boats start at 18’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            2015 Hobie Outback
            2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Thanks - theirs was much bigger than 15'.
              Mike

2020 Hobie Outback - Camo

Comment

I often see the bass guys blasting along with reckless abandon, and wonder what happens if you hit a floating log or misjudge a wave going at that speed.....I guess no one ever thinks it will happen to them. Sad
                John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
                Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
                2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

The real tragedy is if they had on life preservers they’d probably be alive. A tug boat on the Virginia side of the river saw them fall in the water near the mouth of Mattawoman and the Potomac. By the time they got to the boat the boaters were gone.
                  Mike
                  Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

The scariest thing I guess we'll have to watch is guys on their phones pushing those boats!! I watched two bass boats leaving Slavins / Mattawoman with their phones in their hands and texting as they headed out, no PFD's of course. Luckily we were in the low speed area in the channel headed out, and they could not put the hammer down. But this warm weather....... Distracted Boating.... Add that to the list

Yak67
                    2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
                    2016 Hobie Outback LE#217

Comment

Another boater missing today on the Potomac near the Nice bridge. A 12’ Jon boat was found but the boater is missing. Another tragedy preventable by a life preserver.
                      Mike
                      Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Maryland is setting a tragic record this Spring...
                        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

mchottie , Thanks for posting this. I am paranoid on the water, but stories like this make me more concerned. Being save is job one.

What concerns me is rich guys in hugs boats. They are very careless concerning little yaks................

Best Regards,
                          Stan
                          Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Yep and from the what I am seeing people do it is only the beginning. I shook, my head the other day on Saturday a dad and his son in a cheap kayak the son is dressed with shorts on wearing a life vest but the dad was dressed the same with no life vest anchored on the Susquehanna fishing with the dam running between the generators and spill gates over 80,000cfm of water and that's just one of what I've observed.

Comment

Cold water is a killer for sure, but sometimes it pales in comparison to stubbornness and a feeling of "it'll never happen to me." Truly sad, and totally preventable.

Comment

Working...
                              X