Deep water reentry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deep water reentry

Is any body interested in getting together and practicng deep water reentry? I have been lucky enough not to have had to reenter my yak but I know it's only a matter of time.

I don't know if there is a good place to do this that would be safe and in a somewhat controled enviroment.
    Jim

Hobie Outback
    TKAA member
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

There was a class for yakers on that last year. Kayak reentry is what they taught, and you could practice after the formal class. It was in some pool at some recreation center in Fairfax. I never signed up because I never got around to it. Will have to check.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Hell I am thinking a bunch of us get together through ourselves in the water and do what we have all read about many times. Point Lookout might be a good spot, that little inlet off the kayak launch is deep enough and protected from fast moving boats.

Could fish first clean off yaks go for a swim and then for a beer.
      Jim

Hobie Outback
      TKAA member
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

as far as choosing a spot - i think anyplace w/o water contact health warnings = almost anywhere. but a place where you could easily swim yak back to shallow water makes sense.

i saw that there are some youtubes for re-entry.

i started off by standing in waist-deep water and sandy bottom. turned the yak over and sort of saw what it takes to right and get on. then moved out to the deeper water. also practiced the standing up in yak in the deeper water to avoid possibility of headstand in shallow water,..

i practiced w/o cooler, FF, paddle, mirage drive, and gear. i expect the mirage drive might actually be helpful for righting, but the crate/gear make it more difficult. dunno i plan to do more in next week or two to make it more instinctive but it really didn't seem too difficult.
        Last edited by Southerly; 08-29-2011, 06:05 AM.

Comment

It is a piece of cake in an empty yak when the water is warm and you are wearing just a swimsuit- but we don't fish that way- we wear clothes, have lots of gear, paddle, leash, rods, crates, etc. Add in cold water, being tired, bulky PFD, gear floating around the yak, and you have a different circumstances- hopefully, the addition of adrenaline will compensate for the cold and tired- Being turtled in cold water can be a death sentence if you can't get back in the yak and get ashore to warm and dry clothes- I have noticed that as long as I keep my head centered in the yak- there are no issues with stability- leaning, turning around without swinging your legs out and sitting side saddle are the issues that call stability into question- sitting in the yak makes it stable- anything else makes it unstable- the hull design of the Outback makes it one of the most stable of any kayak I have seen regardless of what you are doing-

If I were going fishing a lot in the winter or in exceptionally cold waters, I would seriously consider owning an Outback-
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

i used to windsurf thru the winters. to me, it seems that for cold water conditions, the debate should be wetsuit vs drysuit, not waders. i'm new to yak fishing - is that the custom?

as a general notion, i think heading out into offshore wind condtions or other inherently-unsafe situation where you can't self rescue is a wrong start. then cold water has its own problems - the shock factor, and cold fingers. it really doesn't take long for fingers to become just plain inoperable if submersed in water near freezing.

i heard a piece of pragmatic advice - if you're in near-freezing water and can't self rescue, be sure to hold on with hands above the waterline. hopefully, your hands will freeze in place and it will make finding your body easier.

ps - for winter WS, they had neoprene gloves, but they cramped my hands too fast. instead, i used to wear dishwash gloves with velcro straps on my wrists. still got wet, and cold but avoided that excessive convective heat loss.

Comment

Yep- that is why us old farts over 65 just don't fish in certain conditions- youth is wasted on the young-

Back in my youth, I used to pick my days for Tog fishing the CBBT in the winter from my Stamas 24 foot cuddy cabin boat- was not worried about the boat- I was more concerned about my comfort- the Togs would bite the cut crabs regardless of air temps, but fishing with heavy winter gear is no fun- the 10-12 pound tautogs we caught were delicious but I would only fish a few times for them each winter due to the conditions- can't imagine falling into the water in February-
              Last edited by ronaultmtd; 08-29-2011, 07:01 AM.

Comment

"If I were going fishing a lot in the winter or in exceptionally cold waters, I would seriously consider owning an Outback- "

Uh ............ or a Pro Angler?

Comment

Is a Pro Angler considered a kayak or a boat? after a certain point is reached, I would just go ahead and get an 18 foot C-Hawk with a 4 stroke outboard- if I have to get a trailer, it is going to have a power boat attached-

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                    Is a Pro Angler considered a kayak or a boat? after a certain point is reached, I would just go ahead and get an 18 foot C-Hawk with a 4 stroke outboard- if I have to get a trailer, it is going to have a power boat attached-
                    Your point is ridiculous .......... I have an 18 ft CC with an outboard and there is no comparison ...........

PA is considered both ......... don't know why Hobie did that but it's considered a Yak in every forum that I know of .......

it's only 4" wider than the Outback and still uses the Mirage drive/paddle/sail or electric motor just like all of the other Yaks and it can handle water and get into places boats can't just like that other yaks ......

Ya can't row it or put a gas motor on it and it doesn't sink like a boat ........

Comment

That is just me MM- a small gasoling-powered center console with an economical 4 stroke outboard is something I am thinking about for my retirement gift to me- an 18 footer like a C-Hawk, Sea Ox, Mako, Grady-White, or any number of other manufacturers that make sea worth bay boats is about as small as I would considered for fishing in the Bay- my Sister has a place on the Bay with three docks in deep water for me to keep any boat I want to keep in the water- winter time fishing for me is standing up fishing-

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                        That is just me MM- a small gasoling-powered center console with an economical 4 stroke outboard is something I am thinking about for my retirement gift to me- an 18 footer like a C-Hawk, Sea Ox, Mako, Grady-White, or any number of other manufacturers that make sea worth bay boats is about as small as I would considered for fishing in the Bay- my Sister has a place on the Bay with three docks in deep water for me to keep any boat I want to keep in the water- winter time fishing for me is standing up fishing-
                        Sounds like you're in the right place for it .......... I've got a 91' Wellcraft sport 18 with a TT and curtains w/115 Evinrude on a trailes that I haven't used in 2 years ......... gotta take it to get tuned and checked out ...........

Although .......... with your operation ....... ya might want something a bit bigger ......... an 18ft is gonna pound ya ......... the Wellcraft is heavy so there is less pounding than many boats but it can give ya a workout sometimes .......
                        Last edited by Memory Maker; 08-29-2011, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X