Cost of lures going way up...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cost of lures going way up...

I don’t buy a lot of hard body lures because I rarely lose them..maybe four or five new lures a year...I was browsing through our local Dick’s Sporting Goods to see if the new Blair Wiggins line of rods were in- they weren’t...and I noticed that my favorite hard body lure (Rapala XRap) had increased from $8.98 to $10.49...now that is a hell of a lot of inflation!

And lures in general are getting very pricey...is the sport growing that fast that demand has driven up prices...or just greed?
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 04-21-2018, 04:32 PM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

I found xrap xr12s on amazon, albeit only a few colors, as add on items, 9$ shipped. Like you said, I always seem to lose them or they just don't seem to produce for me like soft baits, so I only have a few.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

I used to get x rap 12s for like 5 or 6 bucks. Now they're at least double. A typical crankbait would only cost $3, but not any more.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Kokatat Pro Staff
      Torqeedo Pro Staff
      Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
      Alan

Comment

I think my average cost of a hard bait now is $12.

You can get some crank baits for $8 but many are $16. My favorite jerk bait we found this year run from $14-$17 size dependent.

My buddy hit an all time high for a single crank bait a few weeks ago at $20. It did have a sweet paint job though and it worked. It hooked the fisherman at the store.

I’m thankful I don’t lose many.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
        1980 Something Old Town Canoe
        2008 Native Ultimate 14.5
        2015 Coosa HD
        2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #56
        2017 Pelican Trailblazer 1000 (38# of portaging freedom)

Comment

I have visited the Mirrolure factory in the Tampa area twice. The amount of effort that goes into making the lures is quite significant. Plus the manufacturer gets only a portion of the retail cost. Middle men and final retailers plus shipping costs make up the rest.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Dry those tears and go catch some fish .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You should see how much surf plugs have risen. Average plugs used to be $18-25, now if you go to shows, they run anywhere from $45 -75. Not only that, many of the higher end plugs run out in the first half hour of any plug show. There are lines starting hours before the show even opens, just to get one of the plugs. Granted they are hand made craftsmanship, but come on, $75 to catch a fish?!?
              Collecting surf plugs is a weird sub-culture you don’t want to know.
              Jay

10' Green Slayer
              13’ Red Slayer

Comment

Originally posted by Jesserkirk View Post
                Dry those tears and go catch some fish .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Watched a episode of Strike King Fish hard that was all about the lure company...the number of hand operations they go through was pretty amazing...from assembling the body and the rattles, chemically welding the two halfs together, sanding, cleaning base coat paint, then many different layers of paint and then outfitting with rings and hooks..each crankbait is hand tuned in a tank before packaging...so maybe $10 bucks isn’t outrageous...just a dramatic increase from last season for the exact same bait, gets your attention...
                "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I saw a similar video for repala and was impressed. Consider the tooling cost for a machine to turn balsa into formed lure bodies. The painting etc. Amazing process
                  PigPen - Mt Airy
                  Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

Working...
                  X