100 Boats Only 7 fish!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100 Boats Only 7 fish!!!

So the Angler's Tournament had 100 boats entered and only 7 fish were caught today and entered. OUCH!!!
    2017 Hobie PA14

We'll see how the season progresses, but it looks to me like the spawning biomass will fall below the threshold limit this year and fisheries management will have to do something about it.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Steve6902 View Post
      So the Angler's Tournament had 100 boats entered and only 7 fish were caught today and entered. OUCH!!!
      ...... and I say YEA ........... SAVE DA MOMMA’S

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
        We'll see how the season progresses, but it looks to me like the spawning biomass will fall below the threshold limit this year and fisheries management will have to do something about it.
        I think its the weather, we haven't had the normal warm weather to get the the water temps up so the fish move in for spawning.

I am worried its going to have a negative effect since the fish will move in later during the open season and we will lose more big fish due to the smaller size limit, and being able to keep 2 per person.
        Mike

2015 Hidden Oak Slayer Propel 10

Comment

Having worked on those boats, early season is always touch and go. I would never book a charter in the first 2 weeks of the season, I always wait til may or June. DNR is electrofishing in a lot of spawning grounds so they'll have an accurate picture of the spawning situation not too long from now. Far too early to make any predictions, but yes I too am happy that a lot of breeders got away from the boats.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

I was on a buddy's boat trolling 4 rods Saturday (all C&R IF we had actually caught anything) and as soon as we turned the corner around Bloody Point my jaw dropped. I've never been out opening day before, and holy cow, that was a lot of boats. It's unreal to think that so few fish were caught. I don't know enough to venture anything other than an educated guess as to why, but to think all of those lures were being pulled and the fish weren't being caught is mind blowing. I had better luck Sunday from my kayak ha!
            Matt
            Instagram: @sunrisekayakfishing
            2019 Vibe Sea Ghost 130- "The Blurple Nurple"
            10' Pelican Angler 100- "The Starter Kit"

Comment

Water temp is significantly colder, an irregularity but I have to imagine a key factor. I was also surprised only 7 checked in.
              Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Originally posted by Steve6902 View Post
                Gulp.......... There goes my dreams of grandeur...... Maybe, it's time to stop getting the rockfish tackle ready, and go back to perch......

Best Regards,
                Stan
                Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

I am surprised that DNR doesn't adjust the opening dates of the season based on the weather. But I also find it surprising that we don't have an upper slot limit....it seems that we are stuck in a pattern of being unable to protect the future of fishery due to economic reasons.
                  John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
                  Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
                  2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

JHoss, I would be good with a 30-35 inch slot limit. The problem is the charter boats and their $$$$$. They would possibly lose customers.
                    2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

I can't wait to read Angler's fishing report this week. I wonder what they will say about this.

Best Regards,
                      Stan
                      Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Working...
                      X