Eat your catches?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eat your catches?

I was wondering what fish people catch to eat? Obvisouly I don't go out fishing to find my food, but it's always fun to catch and cook.
    I don't usually eat freshwater fish due to contamination and such, but in general I like to eat most saltwater fish.
    What fish do you like to eat? And what's your favorite receipe?
    Daniel

Feelfree Lure 11.5

White perch are safe...as are smaller blue catfish (under 30 inches)...large fish are generally less safe to consume due to heavy metals accumulating in the flesh over time...and the metal contamination is cumulative...Fired, broiled and grilled are my favorite ways of preparing fish...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Striped Bass - Lemon Juice & sliced lemons in a baking pan - lemonpepper seasoning in the oven, is to die for.

White Perch - Fish Tacos w/ Cilantro Lime Ranch dressings is our household favorite.
      Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Oh, white perch taco sounds so good!!
        Daniel

Feelfree Lure 11.5

Comment

I’ll eat stripers, perch, specks, red drum and a personal favorite, small bluefish. I prepare the bluefish poke style, yes it’s raw but man is it good. When Fishinggod was in the area he would make a ceviche from rockfish that was outstanding.

I cook fish in a lot of different ways because I enjoy cooking but lean towards Asian touches in the preparation. I just made a Cambodian Ginger Catfish that I would make again in a heartbeat. Got to like ginger though.
          Mike
          Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

^ That recipe sounds like it needs to make its way to my PM Inbox! I just picked up duck sauce, fish cause, and sweet thai chili last night.
            Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
              ^ That recipe sounds like it needs to make its way to my PM Inbox! I just picked up duck sauce, fish cause, and sweet thai chili last night.
              Just Google Cambodian Ginger Catfish. Only thing I did different was use 4oz of ginger instead of half pound. Use medium low heat on initial ginger cooking and take it out when you take fish out the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Mike
              Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
                Just Google Cambodian Ginger Catfish. Only thing I did different was use 4oz of ginger instead of half pound. Use medium low heat on initial ginger cooking and take it out when you take fish out the first time.

Wow looks great!

Daniel

Feelfree Lure 11.5

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
                  I’ll eat stripers, perch, specks, red drum and a personal favorite, small bluefish. I prepare the bluefish poke style, yes it’s raw but man is it good. When Fishinggod was in the area he would make a ceviche from rockfish that was outstanding.

I cook fish in a lot of different ways because I enjoy cooking but lean towards Asian touches in the preparation. I just made a Cambodian Ginger Catfish that I would make again in a heartbeat. Got to like ginger though.
                  I gotta get that bluefish poke recipe from you, I love bluefish ( I realize we are in the minority but that's fine). And that catfish recipe looks great! I also like to cook my striped bass either in the oven with just butter and old bay, or on the grill with olive oil, salt, and pepper. I go all out when I smoke fish (mackerel or bluefish), and brine them, but when I'm just cooking fish, I tend to be very minimalistic in my approach, with regards to spices and sauces.

Comment

Immediate ice and bleeding make for much better tasting Blue fish and Rock fish. I only eat the smallest legal rock I can get due to the heavy metal issue.
                    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
                    MK Endura Max 55 backup power
                    Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Originally posted by john from md View Post
                      Immediate ice and bleeding make for much better tasting Blue fish and Rock fish. I only eat the smallest legal rock I can get due to the heavy metal issue.
                      What do you feel is the best way to do this from a kayak? I carry a cooler with me most of the time, so getting the fish on ice is the easy part. Do you put them on a stringer for a few minutes to bleed then transfer to ice?
                      Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

Yup, that's the only way to do it on a yak unless you want to have a bloody cockpit.
                        John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

I rarely eat fish. If I do, it is usually a small bluefish from the OBX.
                          Here at home, I will eat snakehead. It's been a few years though.
                          I have also kept trout that I catch from spring stockings on occasion.
                          About twice in 12 years I've caught a bunch of crappies and white perch from the local reservoir and cooked them up when my son was interested.
                          99.9%+ of the fish I catch, get released.

Comment

I was told it's a must to bleed bluefish, but do people bleed rockfish too?
                            Daniel

Feelfree Lure 11.5

Comment

Originally posted by tmc3p View Post
                              I was told it's a must to bleed bluefish, but do people bleed rockfish too?
                              Absolutely. If you bleed rock and keep them covered in ice they taste much better.
                              John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Working...
                              X