Drone scouting for new spots...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drone scouting for new spots...

Not sure if anyone here is interested in such things, but this year I'm using my drone to scout spots before I spend the time and energy to paddle into them. Took a few videos this weekend, found some things I'm VERY excited for, probably gonna wish I hadn't shared here, but you all are a good bunch so hopefully you won't abuse them before I get back.

I'm not posting the location other than "off the Potomac", but you'll probably be able to figure it out pretty easily from the landmarks. If you do, please keep it to yourself.

2016 NuCanoe Pursuit 13.5
    2015 F&S Shadowcaster 12
    2008 Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT 12
    2011 Native Ultimate 14.5

Time to invest in a good pair of waders. I see some nice spots!
    Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

...and what type of drone do you have?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Gregory
      ​Ain't Misbehavin'
      2014 Pro Angler 12
      '

Comment

Just a mavic pro.
        2015 F&S Shadowcaster 12

Comment

Your secret is good with me. (I have no clue where you were.)

But you're very good with the drone.

Nice video.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Thanks Mark! Hoping to get some great shots of Blackwater here the weekend of the 18th, hopefully the weather cooperates!

I feel like I was snooty with the "secret" part, sorry about that, I only did that because it's immediately adjacent to a SUPER popular place but I don't think anyone knows about it. Anyone is welcome to PM me with promises of secret keeping and I'll share.
            2015 F&S Shadowcaster 12

Comment

I'm not sure how the fishing is there, but it sure looks like a good place to lay some 330's down to pile up some beaver pelts!
              Brian

Comment

Great tech tool...only problem with aerial scouting in general (Google Earth satellite) is it is a two dimensional view...actual kayaking with sonar is the only sure way to scout out new water and get to know structure, depth and water temps...even then that’s no guarantee of finding fish...tides, rain runoff, water quality, bait...all come into the picture...but on the positive side it does give you a target to go look...
                "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

How to find fish...

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                  Great tech tool...only problem with aerial scouting in general (Google Earth satellite) is it is a two dimensional view...actual kayaking with sonar is the only sure way to scout out new water and get to know structure, depth and water temps...even then that’s no guarantee of finding fish...tides, rain runoff, water quality, bait...all come into the picture...but on the positive side it does give you a target to go look...
                  Ron I remember when I became the proud owner of two new Hummingbird 900 series graphs for my bass boat. I was checking out at BPS and two older gentlemen were admiring my purchases. You could tell by their banter that they were lifelong fishing buddies and had spent a lot of time on the water together. As I was preparing to walk out with my bag of electronics, they asked me what I fished for and one of them offered to give me some foolproof fishing strategies. He said, "You didn't have to spend all that money buying those fish finders. I can tell you where the fish are... They're in the water!" I smiled to myself as thought he was going to turn me on to a few of his honey holes as he and his buddy cackled loudly and walked off. It is amazing how well some fisherman do without any electronic help of any kind. We are an advanced species for hunter-gatherers... or are we?
                  Gregory
                  ​Ain't Misbehavin'
                  2014 Pro Angler 12
                  '

Comment

Drone scouting for new spots...

I have been wanting to invest in a drone for a couple years but haven't yet due to the expense of any that have any range to them. We fish a lot of swampy areas that have additional bodies of water that may not be directly connected to them in a fashion that you can paddle to them.

We had a incident last year where we knew from aerial images there was another body of water close to a pond were were fishing. We bush whacked over a dike and down a swampy creek dragging kayaks only to be rewarded with a 5 acre impoundment that was only 10" deep.

We have specifically bought cheap pelican kayaks that are 37# for some of this.

There was one other situation last year where we wasted half a day and I almost had a heart attack getting to two ponds where a drone could have been a game changer.

I hope it works out for you. I'm almost convinced on buying one myself for the same reason you mention.

This is next on my list. Can I borrow your drone? The fact I see two levels, a beaver dam and a deeper ditch leaving it has me optimistic.
                    Last edited by willf650; 05-08-2018, 03:36 PM.
                    1980 Something Old Town Canoe
                    2008 Native Ultimate 14.5
                    2015 Coosa HD
                    2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #56
                    2017 Pelican Trailblazer 1000 (38# of portaging freedom)

Comment

Originally posted by willf650 View Post
                      I have been wanting to invest in a drone for a couple years but haven't yet due to the expense of any that have any range to them. We fish a lot of swampy areas that have additional bodies of water that may not be directly connected to them in a fashion that you can paddle to them.

We had a incident last year where we knew from aerial images there was another body of water close to a pond were were fishing. We bush whacked over a dike and down a swampy creek dragging kayaks only to be rewarded with a 5 acre impoundment that was only 10" deep.

We have specifically bought cheap pelican kayaks that are 37# for some of this.

There was one other situation last year where we wasted half a day and I almost had a heart attack getting to two ponds where a drone could have been a game changer.

I hope it works out for you. I'm almost convinced on buying one myself for the same reason you mention.

This is next on my list. Can I borrow your drone? The fact I see two levels, a beaver dam and a deeper ditch leaving it has me optimistic.
                      I actually have a Phantom 4 Drone that I don't do much with. I've used it to scout the bay near Triton Beach; Rangers said that it was bad for the wildlife. I may have found a new purpose to justify the cost! Amazon has a couple of fishing drones on the market that are completely water proof. Good insurance if they splash down I guess.
                      Gregory
                      ​Ain't Misbehavin'
                      2014 Pro Angler 12
                      '

Comment

That’s an amazing video. Please keep us posted on your outcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Keith

2015 Sand Hobie Outback

2017 Orange Camo Vibe Sea Ghost 130

2015 Camo Ascend FS12T

Comment

Thanks! Not to toot my own horn but I've got a few more on my channel.... Hoping to add a lot more this summer. Hoping to get some shots of people actually, like, fishing. Lol.
                          2015 F&S Shadowcaster 12

Comment

Working...
                          X